All these stainless steel handles

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jose Diaz

All these stainless steel handles

Post by Jose Diaz »

I am a huge fan, and user of :spyder: knives. I love the functionality and ergonomics, especially of the medium and small blades. I'm new here, and hopefully not bringing up an old issue.

But I am wondering about the large amount of stainless steel handles. One of the beauty of the FRN handles is their lightness and durability. Stainless handles seem to make a light agile knife a bit more hefty. More really than I like. Is this a trend in the market? Are FRN hanles going to be a thing of the past? I hope not. They are tough and make an otherwise heavy knife, unexpectedly quick and agile. Steel belongs at the blade.

I have been looking at getting the new Navigator, but am hesitant due to the Steel handle. I, like many like the leaf blade and full flat grind, and the ergonomics really apeal.
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

SS Handles are nothing new. The trend would be FRN between the two. SS is offered because they are generally easy to make at the beginning. FRN costs a lot to set up initially. Many people like SS because it can be engraved and adds heft. The SS version tends to be stronger than the FRN version of the same model.

If you want the Nav II you could wait around because Sal has talked in the past about doing a different version with bolsters. It would not be FRN and super light weight, but it would be different than the full SS model.
ASA NISI MASA
Jose Diaz

looking foreward

Post by Jose Diaz »

Thanks Slvgx. I guess I did read somewhere that stainless handles were easier/cheeper to set up for.

I do like the other handle materials that :spyder: uses. I will be patient :cool: .

respectfully,
Jose
sierra

Metal handles scratch too easy....

Post by sierra »

I have a Scorpius and a Cricket with the metal grips, and I have to agree that I do like the hefty feel at times.
BUT, I take great care of each of my knives and both have become scratched; from mistakingly putting keys in the same pocket, from my rings, or anything else they rub against.

I just called in and asked a women if there were plans to make a G-10 Scorpius, but alas she said no.
Eric, this is possibly my favorite non-hawkbill ever; great looks, great feel, great symetry!.[/B]
But it is scratched up on the sides! :eek: Crickie looks beat up too :eek:

Also, my hands seem to sweat more with the metal slabs. I identified 3-5 models I wanted to buy if they come out in G-10; the plastic too.

I want a G-10 Polywog!!!! :o
I want a G-10 Spin!!!!! :o
I want a G-10 Navigator!!!!! :o
rnhood

Post by rnhood »

The heft of stainless probably works to its disadvantage but, for some reason I often prefer the metal handle, with Ti probably being the ideal metal handle due to its lighter weight. The SS Spydies often seem a tad bit more refined to operate and handle, and even to admire. And, with metal I have the perception that I am getting more knife, a slightly higher quality knife. All just my subjective opinion of course - your mileage will vary.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

rnhood wrote:The heft of stainless probably works to its disadvantage but, for some reason I often prefer the metal handle, with Ti probably being the ideal metal handle due to its lighter weight. The SS Spydies often seem a tad bit more refined to operate and handle, and even to admire. And, with metal I have the perception that I am getting more knife, a slightly higher quality knife. All just my subjective opinion of course - your mileage will vary.
I agree with this!! Perfectly said! Thanks for being in my head and speaking my words.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

A lot of new models, particularly in-house designs get market tested with stainless steel. You could almost call it tradition, as the earliest Spyders were steel handled.
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I really like SS handles and will buy them pretty much every time over FRN with one or two exceptions(the Salt for kayaking). I like the scratches as they show character, but do nothing to compromise the function nor strength of the knife. The largest knife I carry would be a Delica or Scorpius, so weight isn't that much of an issue, either. To each their own, though.
Hannibal Lecter

Scratching?

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Dear Friends,

I don't see scratching as a big issue on stainless-handled knives. Use a Scotch-Brite pad and polish the scratches out - it only takes a few minutes. I have done this to my Harpy several times with excellent results.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Apeman

Post by Apeman »

Oh, good idea hannibal! Thanks for the tip, my Scorpius is in need of a good shine!

~Andrew
Phlippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

2 Timothy 3:16-17

I Support Serrated Edges!!!
Rainy County

Post by Rainy County »

I prefer SS myself :) . I like the added heft and with the way Spyderco designes their knives they aren't likely to slide out of your hand :rolleyes: .

I really should start saving up for that adventura and lava ;) !
"Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-you and your household." Acts 16:31
scolby

Post by scolby »

The biggest downside for me with the stainless handles is that for outdoor work, they get pretty cold in the winter. I definitely prefer g-10 or frn for that reason.
"Chance favors the prepared mind" - Louis Pasteur
Jose Diaz

SS Handles

Post by Jose Diaz »

Thanks so much, everyone for the replies to this thread. The suggestion that Hanabal made for the removal of scratches will be kept in mind and tried. I cannot claim to be an expert or collecter of :spyder: . I am though learning more by being here and look foreward to expanding my education.

respectfully, Jose.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Nothing against light knives, but am I the only one that likes a HEAVY knife? There is just something about a Mini Manix (for instance) that just makes it feel GOOD in the hand, and the weight is part of it. It feels balanced, and just really natural to hold. After carrying FRN Spydies for my whole life, the M83 REALLY caught my attention and was a delight to use.

Now if it were solid stainless, this might be a different story as SS is kinda slippery to me when working with sweaty hands, but it's really hard to see how "light" equates to "agile." Could somebody please help me to understand this?

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

At first I didn't like these SS handles at all. But the Scorpius and Kiwi have turned me to the steel side. I don't mind the material at all and prefer it for its ability to be easily cleaned and the great ergos it can offer. Ti is perfect since that adds more grip to the metal handle.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
dialex

Post by dialex »

I love FRN too. But, just like Jeff, I understand the need of having a bit of heft in a knife sometimes. Not too heavy, just enough to give you a sense that you carry a knife ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

I am one of the SS supporters here. I prefer a knife to have a bit of heft. The knives that get carried the most are my SS ones, and in truth i don't think there are many set backs. The scratching is of no concern to me as it is a user knife. And i love the solid feel and durability of SS handles. Not to say that i don't like the other handle materials, but my Scorpius would not be the same w/ FRN or G10. Sometimes SS is just the way to go.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

4077th

Post by 4077th »

Spyderco has come a long way with stainless scaled pocketknives. The Adventura and the Stretch are deceptively lightweight. Not something you'd carry if you were wearing jogging gear but that's what Calypso Juniors are for. Hopefully Sal and Eric are in the skunkworks building working on a better handle inlay materiel for the Stretch.