Spydie Withdrawal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kn00b

Spydie Withdrawal

Post by Kn00b »

The process of doing some re-organization left me Spydie-less for 3 days! I didn't think the withdrawl would be that bad but I have to say that I for one really got used to having a :spyder: clipped to my pocket.

My Yojimbo was in transit but I ended up shipping off my only two Spydies before it made it here. So, maybe I was a bit obsessive in my look-out for the mail carrier in the interim.

Mail actually came late (post 5pm) today and I was cursing the shipping process in general when relief arrived in the form of my brand new Yojimbo! Whew...

Anyone else suffer from withdrawl when they have to go 'naked' for a few days? Or am I just that neurotic?
swede

Post by swede »

No, Kn00b, I've felt much the same. Just got back from a knife show (of all things) in Oregon, and with flying what it is, I didn't take any knives. It seemed like a strange feeling to not even have my Jester in my pocket for 4 days. The few I bought there had to be mailed back home. So, maybe we're just 2 neurotics, but I felt a little naked too.
Take care,
Dave
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I didn't even realize it was POSSIBLE to go for a whole day without a knife! I am pretty sure I can hold my breath longer than I can stand to be without. Needless to say, I AIN'T flying ANYWHERE anymore. If I can't drive there, I won't go.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Withdrawals are terrible, I know.

There was one night just before we went to dinner that my girlfriend said "Can't you ever go ANYWHERE without your 'tool belt'?" Just to appease her, I abandoned all my EDC hardware as we stepped out the door. Unfortunately, I reached instinctively for my light and for my Spydies at least a dozen times that night, though I can't recall what for. That's another thing: you don't really realize that you're using these tools, or even how often for that matter, because you just USE them. They are there and you just use them without thinking.

I have not abandoned my EDC since, not even wearing sweats around the house. Not kidding.

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I got them too.
Been wanting a Tiger coral Kopa but I got to save for Blade.
My son has been putting back every dime he can find to get a Kiwi or Kopa.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
JD Spydo

Come on now!!

Post by JD Spydo »

OK fellows I think this paronoid flying with Spyders needs to be put into perspective. I have flown to quite a few places in the last 4 years and I always take my Spyders with me. Now granted you have to put them in your "Check IN" luggage that has to ride in the bottom of the plane but as soon as I get off and go to the luggage claim area I immediately have my C-44 Dyad clipped on ASAP. It's not that big of deal guys it really isn't.

Because I just could not or would not go anywhere without my Spyders for any protracted period of time. This is America friends>> let's keep it that way>> Land of the free and home of the knife with the hole in the blade :cool:
But the one brother brings up a good point because Spyder withdrawal is real. It's nothing to be taken lightly either. When I can't find my EDC my blood pressure rises, my anger level escalates and I just flat out get an attitude :rolleyes:

Also with the BLADE show coming up on the horizon I think it would be unthinkable to go there without some of my arsenal :mad: :spyder:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I have to agree with JD...carry on luggage is really overrated these days with people trying to cram everything into the tiny case they allow onboard. Not even Nafta or Chuck Norris can stop me from putting a Spydie in my check'in luggage.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I've been "naked" for several days now :eek:

I sold off my collection to the point where all I have are a few users, some knives that are irreplaceable to me, so they only get used at home, and some knives that I'll never use(WTC)

One of my users is "under the knife" getting some cosmetic surgery, and one other is in pieces on my desk currently undergoing what I affectionately call "bionic retrofitting" ;) Basically, it's been stripped, and is awaiting new parts to make it function better.

The only user I still have is the Swick. If not for that, I'd be mumbling to myself and rocking back and forth in a corner somewhere... ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
spydermike

Post by spydermike »

I lost my Delica 4, went three weeks carring a B..K 110. Got my new Spyderco in the mail today...WHEW!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

spydermike wrote:I lost my Delica 4, went three weeks carring a B..K 110. Got my new Spyderco in the mail today...WHEW!
I wish I had your luck. About 4 years ago, I moved from my old apartment into a new one. Somewhere along the way, most of the pieces from my sizeable collection got lost! :eek:

We're talking about 12 miles from my old neighborhood to my new one. I don't even know what happened to them! One possibility is that the guy who was helping me move, stole them! He collected knives too, but all of his knives were el-cheapos because he really couldn't afford to spend more $$$ on a quality knife..... And he knew about my collection. But, I'm not 100% sure what happened. :confused:

I just wish I knew the truth about what happened. Most of the good-quality knives I lost were either from Benchmade, Kershaw and (you guessed it) :spyder:

Including a few discontinued models..... But I try to look on the brightside; I still have one of my two Dozier K-4s, my SAK Huntsman, my SAK pen knife, my Leatherman tool and a G-10 Spyderco Standard.... without a clip. (Used to have 2 of them, with clips). :(

Rebuilding my collection has been slow-going. But I'll get the job done. :cool:
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

No - I think we all share that withdrawal :D I was heading home the other nite from doing some work on a rental property, reached in my right pocket for my lighter, and it felt like something was missing - it was my Dragonfly - not there :eek: I was REALLY hoping it fell out of my pocket at home - WHEW - that's what happened. Now, really, it shouldn't have been a concern considering I was totin' my Meerkat, two Delica 4's, a Gray Caly Jr., BM Mini-Grip, Ka-Bar Dozier and had my Crow and Endura 3 in my jacket pocket, but still.............. :) Even last year when I went to Vegas for the 8-ball competition, I took only a Delica 3 and a SAK - I felt sooooooo under equipped......

- gord
Kn00b

Post by Kn00b »

Gordonk-
Holy cow, you were carrying NINE knives on you? :eek: Impressive.
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

Mini-Police necklace! I'm never without a spyderco, I've never been stopped from getting on a plane with my necklace.
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
Kn00b

Post by Kn00b »

ruxton wrote:Mini-Police necklace! I'm never without a spyderco, I've never been stopped from getting on a plane with my necklace.
I'm really surprised by that. I'd think for sure that it would set off the detectors, then get found by the handheld, and then the sh!t would hit the fan for trying to 'sneak' a blade onto the plane.

Has it just never set off the metal detectors?
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

Kn00b wrote:I'm really surprised by that. I'd think for sure that it would set off the detectors, then get found by the handheld, and then the sh!t would hit the fan for trying to 'sneak' a blade onto the plane.

Has it just never set off the metal detectors?
Mines never set off any metal detectors, and if it does you can probably just blag it and say "woopsie forgot about my necklace" and whip it off and throw it in the tray with your wallet. I doubt they'll check it to see if it happens to be a minature knife.
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

Yup :D Sometimes when I get new "toys", even more :) Cargo Pant days usually when I carry that many. If I don't have cargos on, it's usually a lot less. Usually, it's BM Mini-Grip, clipped, D4/PE and SAK loose left front, Meerkat clipped, Dragonfly loose on right pocket and Ka-Bar IWB. Last few days, I've had my Delica 4's with me - a PE and an SE one along with a Delica 3 to compare, more than anything. Wearing cargos this week, so I'm "totin'". Got to admit that the SE Delica 4 is growing on me :D

I'm carrying the Endura 3 as a beater while I'm doing the rental property thing. It's a CE one that a co-worker was using and he was cutting a zip tie and tagged a live wire on the way thru. Blew out a serration, big time :eek: He tossed it on my desk and basically said - if you can find a use for it, go for it, so I ground out the burnt spot as best I could and have been using it as a beater. In real life, I don't think I would ever treat my Endura 3 as hard as I've been using this one, but it's holding up fine. He was also the one I picked up an E4 for when I got my Delica's. The Crow was purchased specifically to beat up, and that's also what I've been doing with it - this rental property prep thing I'm doing is actually a pretty good test bed. Some of the stuff I've been doing with these two: Cutting open clam paks for replacing door knobs plus other clam pak items, cutting/drilling.digging into drywall, scraping paint, cutting wire for replacing light switches/plugs, cutting hose for washer, cutting insulation/vapor barrier, etc. My wife, I think, is not going to give my Meadowlark back. On the weekend, she stuck it in her purse instead of handing it back like normal (that's 3 of mine she's got now!!) I'm always looking for stuff to cut, and this is hard work, but I'm sure having fun with it :D

- gord
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

smcfalls13 wrote:I sold off my collection to the point where all I have are a few users...
:eek: ...........

I missed out on the Lefties-R-Us liquidation sale???

So THAT'S how Deacon got the ironwood, south-pawed persian! It's time to retreat into the padded room for a few days :(

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Gordonk, your rental prep thing sounds like my everyday job. I work for a Housing Authority in a small town. 139 apartments, 2 maintenance men. People usually can't believe what my knives go through on a daily basis. Since I can't stand a dull knife, and so much of what I do dulls them fast (gotta love that grout and ceramic tile) I generally carry 8 to 12, including a couple of multitools.