Amsterdam Meet 2006 Knives & Pictures !

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ted

Amsterdam Meet 2006 Knives & Pictures !

Post by Ted »

OK here it is. The list of prototypes and concept models, and if possible with pics. All proto's with pic should be available with 6 months or so, but well, you know, some might slip ...
For availability, it's best to wait for the official announcement from Spyderco, before calling your dealer.
The show was awesome. Still amazed that Spyderco's takes the time and effort to do this. Thanks much to Sal, Eric, Jack, Jurphaas and Ed for arranging everything. And thanks much for the goodies! There were some interesting ideas for the show for next year!

KOPA
Pearl & Turquoise. Very bling-bling-bling!

CO-PILOT
Spyderco's first little big knife - sprint run of 1200. Almite coated aluminum. VG-10 steel. Nice clip. A modern classic. Now with torx screws. Forgot to take a picture...will do that at the IWA

SPIN
Eric's two-finger knife design for a special occastion ;)
There were two concept coatings which looked good but will make it more expensive. My point with them is that I wouldn't mind the extra costs, as long as the coating would be on both sides. Tazkristi already posted the pic!

LAVA
*Cool* very ergonomic. Great work Chad - must have been a dream come true! I hope the model sells well so that Spyderco will consider doing it with G-10 scales.

Ted

Post by Ted »

BUTTERFLY's

All SpyderFly's were there, including a trainer of the B01. Pics are in the 2006 catalog.

FLAT GRIND CHINOOK
The 3rd generation of the Chinook. Now with a flat grind. See Wouter's thread here for pics.

CAPTAIN

What a monster. Two different edges for different type of work. The recuve for pull cutting and the 'belly' for skinning. Very heavy weight. Lot's of screws. Smooth action and rock solid lock-up. The top grind on the blade is not sharpened and is there to remove weight.

WAVED ENDURA/DELICA

Pics say more then words...

P'KAL

Very technical knife. Lot's of interesting features like the removable wave. The small ball-lock with the release piece. Very scary when Sal deploys it in a few nano seconds :O

Ted

Post by Ted »

S

The successor to the 'Q' and the 'R' is logically the 'S'. It's the Salsa pattern. Aluminum handles with cut-outs. Wireclip (shorter then the Salsa).
Blade also has a pattern, which can be custom ordered (minimum 500 pieces). Made in Taiwan

VOLPE
The Volpe wasn't here. Probably because Joyce & Kelly took it to Italy where they were vistiting there Italian business contacts.
There were also two mini Volpe's. Nice little knives with on-lays, slightly bigger then the Ladybug/Jester. Probably more appreciated by women.

CALY 3

The long awaited updated G-10 Calypso Jr. Very similair to a locking UK Penknife with dual steel liners. Wire clip. Very nice piece! Could have used a lanyard hole in my opinion however.
There's an extra pic with a plastic prototype of the UKPK next to it. Spyderco makes these plastic proto's when they design a model. Some models can have up to 25 revisions of the plastic proto before they make an actual model.

with a plastic prototype (from the UK Penknife)

CALY 4

A smaller version of the CALY 3 (2.5" blade). The concept model was with bolsters and cocobole wood. Very nice! A bit heavy though...

CATBYRD

A big big big Byrd in concept stage.

G-SAKAI CARABINER

A very technical concept knife with a built in carabiner. Very small and thin.
Ted

Post by Ted »

ED SCHEMPP KRIS

Ed Schempp explained the Kris design, and the ergonomics. Interesting things about the number of waves, the type of grind etc.
Great to hear and makes you appreciate the knife even more.

ED SCHEMPP BARONG

A beautifull damascus concept based on an ethnic design. What a knife. Sorry no pics of this beauty.

ED SCHEMPP CORSICAN NAVAJO

Another beautifull damascus ethnic design concept. An interesting feature was the ratcheting effect when you open and close to blade.

ED SCHEMPP CAMP KNIFE

The big big camp knife. Great to hear how Ed Schempp really supports and stands behind his product. Only the best will do. No compromise. Most other contenders in the cutting competion use custom blade, but Ed only wants to use a production blade, so that we as users can have the same blade that he's using.

TUFF

The Tuff concept model Tough Tough Tough - very heavy titanium integral compression lock

ZDP DELICA

The 4th generation Delica with the solid ZDP-189 blade. As Wouter said, a sort of greyish blue. Very nice.

URBAN

The urban is a concept of a smaller UK penknife. Same notch-lock. There were two concepts, one blue G-10 with a wharncliffe blade. The other with bolsters & wood. Should make a great office piece. Very 'non-knife-people' friendly

SUPERHAWK

A concept model of this mega mega hawkbill. The same peel-ply carbon fiber as in the Military. The lock in this concept model was a compression lock. (Like the Para-military)

DIVE KNIFE

An H1 based dive knife in concept stage. A very 'fugly' design ;)

FRED PERRIN STREET BOWIE

Smaller version of the FB04 - The hole in the blade is actually a forward lanyard hole. So that you can slash/chop but still can secure the blade - production piece will be slightly different - no tapered tang but drilled tang to reduce weight.

ANSO ROCK LOBSTER

A concept model of the Spyderco version of the ANSO Rock Lobster. Massive piece, but the final model will need some ergonomic tweaking.

AIRBORNE

Don't remember if I can tell any details about this one, so that will have to wait.

DOMINO

A normal and spring-loaded blade with a kicker. Very nice, medium sized G-10 folders with a drop-point style blade. Nice!
Ted

Post by Ted »

MICRO DYAD

Honey colored jigged bone - 1200 pieces. Beautifully made. (MOKI if I'm not mistaken.) Got to have one of these.

BLACK POLIWOG

A black coated version of the Poliwog, but with polished ball. Classy looking!

BLACK ADVENTURA

Dialex's Adventura in black. *cool*

FOLDING SPOT

A very smart concept design of a folding spot. You would need to see it to understand it. Can't describe it here.

MAGNETIC MODEL

An interesting concept model, a 'magnetic' slip joint. Works with rare earth magnets. ?? - Nice shape and size!

FIELD SHARPENER

A very flat and smart field sharpener. It has all the required angles for field touch-ups. Diamond coated (600 mesh?). Will be part of the Byrd line, and very affordable.

AUTOMATICS

At last there were the concept models of the automatics/assisted openers/dual action models. Apart from the lock, I really liked the blade and model shapes!

MOSAIC DAMASCUS

Between the proto's and the concepts, Ed Schempp talked about mosaic damascus. What an amazing craft is that. Way too complicated to explain here, but very interesting. I'll cherish my 25th aniversary pattern tile even more!

G-10 BYRDS

The G-10 Byrds. A lot of knife for a very very good price.

Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Those part 2, 3, 4 etc... are just plain mean Ted! ;)

Great shots!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Ted

Post by Ted »

[quote="Mr Blonde"]Those part 2, 3, 4 etc... are just plain mean Ted! ]

I needed to reserve those posts because you can only link so much pics per post...
Ted

Post by Ted »

The announcement in the hotel

The crowd

The crew

The talking :)

Missing were the bolstered Navigator II, but that's still planned to come out out with a nice wood handle. Also the updated Lil Temp wasn't there. The new Bison concept model wasn't ready for the show but it's still in the works.

What a day! :)

So, that's it. I hope everyone enjoys the pics. Hopefully at the IWA I can take some more of the Volpe and the Kiwi's and others that I forgot! :o

My favorite of the day was the Micro Dyad!

Enjoy
Ted
Crafft

Post by Crafft »

Great job Ted!!

And thanks again for bringing the lil' temp.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for the photos Ted, you folks certainly got to see a bunch of stuff!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Awesome job Ted! My favorite of the day was the folding SPOT concept model and the Captain. But I liked the silky smooth action of the Caly III.

Too bad the micro dyad isn't really set-up for left-handed operation.

Wouter
The General

Post by The General »

Great pics Ted! We held back on showing any pics by the request of Papa Spyder and Eric. However, the honour of the pics is yours my friend and always will be! :D

Respect! :D
My real name is Wayne :D
Ging

Post by Ging »

Thanks Ted you rule!

Looks like some knives i can carry legally ;) and loads of other cool looking models!
Every thing here is Spyderific! My new word meaning 'great like spyderco'

Thanks Sal and everyone at BritishBlades.com for the UKPK :spyder: :)

I want a fully serrated UKPK :) Please Sal
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

I'm sitting at work right now drooling all over the keyboard. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks a bunch Ted! :)

Kopa Kopa Kopa.... :D :eek:
Rock
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Very nice shots Ted! I am going to have to find a way to go to one of these.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Wow...

Looks like they are working faster, quicker, longer and further than before....

I sure will need to review my priorities because I won't be able to buy everything I want...

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Simona

Post by Simona »

Ted, please what it is??, big fixed blade at left table - right from coffee pot..

It look like tanto with holes in the blade spine ;)
Hmm..look really interesting ..
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

psimonl wrote:Wow...

Looks like they are working faster, quicker, longer and further than before....
That's exactly what I was thinking at the show.

Wouter
charlie

Post by charlie »

Thanks, Ted for sharing. The pictures are great, looks like some interesting new models for 2006. I hope to obtain 1 each. :)
:spyder: Collector #047
C.P. Adams Jr.
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

Hi Ted,

nice,nice,nice you did a great job.
As always awsome pictures.
It was a great Sunday afternoon in Amsterdam meeting the Crew and offcourse the other Forumites.
i had a great time.

nogmaals mijn complimenten voor de Super foto's.

kind regards,

Buferoe (Werner)