How good is the Military ?????

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
John Puckett

How good is the Military ?????

Post by John Puckett »

I got a Military right when they came out but it was a serrated edge and had the ats-34 blade steel. I sold it because I didn't like the serrated edge and the blade didn't seem to hold as good a edge as a Benchmade ats-34 blade. I am thinking about getting another Military with the 440V blade steel and a plan edge. What do all of you think about the 440 Military? Thanks for all of your help.
dePaul

Post by dePaul »

Well John. I own 3 Mils. One, such as yours, the serrated ATS-34 and the other 2 made out of CPM440V.

I agree with you, the serrations are pest. I never actually use this one. As speaking about the CPM version: It´s a great knife! The most versatile (IMHO) in the whole Spyderco line. It cuts like no other knife, it´s flat ground,light weight, the ergonomics are superb and the CPM steel is a hit.

Some guys would say that it´s too big. I don´t! The size fits me just fine. Matter fact, I tend to use bigger and bigger folders. This one is the one I use most (another one is the Chinook).

Now, after those overwhelming words, here comes some criticism: The knife features a very delicate and IMO fragile tip, so one has to be very careful!

The other flaw, as I see it, is that the locking mechanism in such a big folder should have been (like Chinook) a lockback and not a linerlock!!!

Conclusion: A great knife with some minor flaws.
sam the man..

Post by sam the man.. »

Dude,
Here are THREE GOOD reasons on why I think the military ROCKS! :)
1. Good ergonomics. Excellent grip area for guys with large hands like me. There's plenty of belly on this spydie which allows me to use in in various grip positions. The round-hole on Military is larger than most spydies, something you would count on when deploying the blade with gloves.
2. Excellent steel as a blade material. The S-60V is robust. Holds a longer edge and performs brilliantly under the hot and humid conditions in the jungles of Malaysia. Its corrosion resisting qualities are second to none.
3. Easy to maintain. Just a couple of strokes on the Sharpmaker 204 brings the millie back in razor-sharp edge. I carry this knife on every jungle trekking expedition because it lives up to the mark. I use a serrated millie and find it as good as the plain-edged ones!

Sam
Tom Percy

Post by Tom Percy »

Samo,

is the S-60V the same as CPM440V ?, or, what does it refer to ?
I have a Forum Military that I got for the purpose of lokin' at, but it's tempting to use...

Curious.....
sam the man..

Post by sam the man.. »

Hello Tom,
Oooops! Read somewhere along the line that those guys at crucible had renamed CPM-440V as S-60V... Think CPM-440V is still a viable name for the metal.. Sorry for the blunder! *hee-hee!*

Sam
gadfly

Post by gadfly »

I love my spydie edged Military. It feels "right". I love the look. It's just downright handy. While shaving is out, this guy aggressively cuts what needs to cut (Not only that, but my wife loves my beard).

My only concern is its' 4 1/8" length prevents me from being able to legally carry it everywhere - New Jersey comes to mind. Since I work in the Garden State, I've taken to carrying my Mariner when I know I'll be traveling there.

I have several other Sydies (which I love), but I like the Militay best.

While I would love to buy a Carbom Fiber version (Sal, are you listening?), I can't imagine a better scale material for a working knife.
gadfly

Post by gadfly »

I love my spydie edged Military. It feels "right". I love the look. It's just downright handy. While shaving is out, this guy aggressively cuts what needs to cut (Not only that, but my wife loves my beard).

My only concern is its' 4 1/8" length prevents me from being able to legally carry it everywhere - New Jersey comes to mind. Since I work in the Garden State, I've taken to carrying my Mariner when I know I'll be traveling there.

I have several other Sydies (which I love), but I like the Militay best.

While I would love to buy a Carbom Fiber version (Sal, are you listening?), I can't imagine a better scale material for a working knife.
gadfly

Post by gadfly »

I apologize for the blank space and the second send. There is a problem with the Forum software.

By the way, the scale material that I love for a woking knife is G-10.
dac

Post by dac »

The Military is not 4 1/8" long. That is the length of the Police model. The Military blade is under 4".
gadfly

Post by gadfly »

I stand corrected, the Military is listed at 4"/102mm. However, 102 mm is just enough over 4" too be severely hasseled in NJ and if I'm not mistaken, Colorado as well.

Sal, let me know about Colorado.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Gadfly. Colorado laws vary depending on the city. 4" is too large for Denver. But State law outside of cities & towns permits 4".

sal
sam the man..

Post by sam the man.. »

Dudes, There were talks about the mini-millie. But I guess this nippy little knife would only be a proto or something like that... *hee-hee!*

Sam
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Well Im seriously considering getting myself a Military very soon, and a Gunting and a Native and a........, oh no, there goes the bank balance,lol
I do have one thing I definately agree on, and thats the Chinook, I got my hands on one and its one of the most Godly knives Ive ever come across, what a blade.

Happy hunting

MaNcEr
45rook

Post by 45rook »

I just purchased a Military model last week. I love this knife. It has Spyderco Military, CPM 440V Golden, Colorado on it. Was that the first production run with CPM440 metal. I would definetely buy another one!!!
stu

Post by stu »

John,
The military is an excellent knife. I prefer the plain edge because I am more adept at sharpening it. In the same breath, I own a serrated Military and keep meaning to try it out more, I know that it is an excellent tool. Old habits are hard to break.
Take care,
stu
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I hope it is as good as I here.I have a plain edge on the way.

}{ Jeff }{