What is correct?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

What is correct?

Post by gull wing »

Delica4:
Catalog shows bronze washers.
My Delica has (4) orange plastic washers.
What is correct, plastic or bronze?

Now, the knife works fine as is, but which is correct. I want to be correct.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Mine were the plastic kind as well. Nylon I believe they are :confused:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

God, this is a bonehead question.....Could they maybe be bronze but oxidized?
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

gull wing wrote:Delica4:
Catalog shows bronze washers.
My Delica has (4) orange plastic washers.
What is correct, plastic or bronze?

Now, the knife works fine as is, but which is correct. I want to be correct.
They are PB (Phosphor Bronze) Washers.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

What part of PLASTIC do you not understand greencobra? My knife has PLASTIC washers on it. I know the difference between plastic and bronze. My old Paramilitary had these type washers before factory sent me bronze washers as a replacment.
I may be a bonehead for sure, but not for this, these washers are not bronze.
I don't know your qualifications for classifing someone as a bonehead, how are you qualified?

So, taz, can you send me bronze?
delicrazy

Post by delicrazy »

Hey gull wing,
im not speaking for green cobra, but i think he meant that HIS question was a bonehead question, but that he was asking it anyway to rule it out as a possibility. as in "sorry if this seems obvious, but, could they be bronze washers that are oxidized?". i only replied to this because i had to spend a couple of minutes looking at the response myself before i reached this conclusion. this represents the big drawback to forums, you can't interpret someone's voice :)
still trying to set my watch to metric time
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I'm pretty sure greencobra didn't mean his question the way you are interpreting it. As delicrazy said, the question was more like "let's rule out this possibility" than as an insult to you.

It's hard to interpret vocal inflection over a forum like this. That's I use these ;) :rolleyes: :cool: :D :eek: :mad: :o a lot. It shows what kind of mood I'm posting in.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
Tim8557

Post by Tim8557 »

greencobra wrote:God, this is a bonehead question.....Could they maybe be bronze but oxidized?
Chill out! You sound like the cabbie I had the only time I ever went to Boston! Crankiest **** Irishman I ever met (and I'm Irish!).
Tim Dowling
"Remember, Amateurs built the Ark.....but Professionals built the Titanic !"
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

[quote="smcfalls13"] ]

I read you loud and clear! :p

Seriously though Kristi, thanks for posting. I didn't even know they had them, make me want one even more now!
ASA NISI MASA
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

How about some pics gull wing ? It seems very strange to me that Spyderco would put in plastic washers when they're supposed to be bronze.
Also, maybe you should send in your knife so they can try to find out what went wrong.
Help science, join Folding@Home !
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

First, I agree with others, Greencobra's comment was at himself, not Gullwing.

Second, please look at the flier...
http://spyderco.com/catalog/2006_C10C11Flyer.pdf
although we used the term "bushings", they are orange, see the pic on the first page.
We didn't come across anything plastic in QC with either model.

Gull wing, is this what yours look like?

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Taz,
As soon as my camera is charged up I will photo the questioned washers.
I have two Delica 4, both are the same. I can see through the washers and they are very flexible. Bronze does not have these characterizes.
Back in a flash.
Django

Post by Django »

You're forgetting something! Coughapologycoughcough.
JLannoo

Post by JLannoo »

gull wing wrote:Taz,
As soon as my camera is charged up I will photo the questioned washers.
I have two Delica 4, both are the same. I can see through the washers and they are very flexible. Bronze does not have these characterizes.
Back in a flash.

Did you notice yet that you ripped off Greencobra's head for no reason?

This is a real question as I don't know. Do plastic washers wear out very easy? Is that the issue?
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

To be honest, I don't think it really makes a difference. My Delica 4 was glassy smooth right out of the box, so I find it hard to believe the even if the washers are "only" nylon, that the bronze washers could possible improve on the smoothness.

It's not a big deal to me, I like it as is.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Two issues:
1. I will ask for forgiveness from greencobra for the bonehead issue.
2. The other issue is my ability to tell the difference between plastic and bronze.

Please see photo, zoom in and read the "S" (in SEKI) thru the washer, bronze is not translucent. These washers are plastic. I have these washers in my Military, Dodo, others. Remember, I have two Delica4, both are the same.

On issue #2 I am right, however I don't think I will win this argument seeing as how many posts greencobra has (i am outranked). I like this Forum, but I can give it up if the powers that be, want.
JLannoo

Post by JLannoo »

gull wing wrote:
Please see photo, zoom in and read the "S" (in SEKI) thru the washer, bronze is not translucent. These washers are plastic. I have these washers in my Military, Dodo, others. Remember, I have two Delica4, both are the same.
Maybe they are transparent aluminum? :p

smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

gull wing wrote:1. I will ask for forgiveness from greencobra for the bonehead issue.
Thank you, it was just a miscommunication in my opinion, so nothing to be offended about.
gull wing wrote:2. The other issue is my ability to tell the difference between plastic and bronze.
In your original post, you mentioned the orange color of the washers, but nothing about whether they were not cool to the touch, flexible, or any other traits plastic washers exhibit. Based on color description alone, which is all your original post contained, is was a legitimate question as to whether they were bronze or plastic. We know now that you know the difference between the two, but I think GC didn't want to make assumptions, and posed the question as a means of almost "thinking out loud" It wasn't meant as an affront, but as a benefit to others reading who may not know the difference.
gull wing wrote:Please see photo, zoom in and read the "S" (in SEKI) thru the washer, bronze is not translucent. These washers are plastic. I have these washers in my Military, Dodo, others. Remember, I have two Delica4, both are the same.
Mine are the same as yours. Hasn't affected performance though, so it's not a problem for me.
gull wing wrote:On issue #2 I am right, however I don't think I will win this argument seeing as how many posts greencobra has (i am outranked). I like this Forum, but I can give it up if the powers that be, want.
There's no ranking on this forum(except for Sal, Kristi, and Carlos), and I like it that way. The only way any kind of rank happens here is as a result of the respect of other forumites. Some forumites are great contributors to this forum, be they designers, makers, or just walking encyclopaedias. Technically, they're just the same as everyone else, but they are well respected here, because of what they do.

Just because someone has more posts than someone else, does not necessarily make them better than another. It's the quality of the posts, not the quantity.

It was an honest mistake, I see no reason to leave because of it(that's how I interpreted the last sentence of your post).

Just my thoughts on this issue.

-Sir Winston Churchill-
JLannoo

Post by JLannoo »

I visit some cliquey forums but this is not one of them.
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

My Lum Chinese has the same type of washer; four orange, translucent ones. I was doing some cleaning, and I noticed that some of the washers appear to have been damaged by some part inside the knife. Is that normal? Bad? Can I buy replacements through the SFO?
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared