Wegner

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mark1955

Wegner

Post by Mark1955 »

Why only one liner in the Wegner C48??
The Stare

Post by The Stare »

This is just a guess, but I assume it is a weight/design issue.

Only one liner is needed for a lock. The Wegner has the unusually long, steel back spacer, which weighs quite a bit. The Wegner as is, is a reasonably hefty knife. A second liner might add a bit more rigidity, but at the price of additional weight, probably making the knife too heavy for it's size.

Of course, the back spacer could have been shortened, or done away with, but that would require adding a stop pin. As it is, the Wegner's stop is on the inside of the backspacer, much like a lockback. I don't know of any other liner locks that utilize the backspacer, rather than a stop pin, like the Wegner. Frankly, I like it.

There are some other liner locks that only have one liner. That isn't unique. The first that comes to mind is the CRKT M16. It has aluminum handles, so no rigidity needs for a second liner.

Stare
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mark. We made the first prototype with dual liners because that's the way Tim designed the model. He wanted the handle thicker for comfort in use. After handling the proto, Tim decided to go with one liner to reduce the weight.

sal
shootist16

Post by shootist16 »

Don't let the one liner fool you, the Wegner is one tough knife.