Anyone into Kimber 1911's?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
markIVbigblock

Anyone into Kimber 1911's?

Post by markIVbigblock »

Im asking because in exactly 374 days I turn 21 and can legally buy a handgun I plan on buying quite a few actually but at the top of my list is the Kimber grand raptor and was wondering if anyone has one of the raptor series and what their thoughts are on whether its worth the money I have a buddy that has a Kimber and it is super accurate and has the sweetest trigger I have ever pulled I do have another question tho for those kimber experts out there I was wondering if somehow I could have the grand raptor made all stainless through their custom shop or something and if anyone might know what the approximate cost would run on something like that? Thanx

Aaron
come on everyone lets try and get Sal to bring back the Q!!!
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Oh yeah!!! I LOVE Kimbers!! They are awesome. I used to have a Kimber Custom Compact with Trijicon night sites. I sold it, because I needed some gear. If I had known that I could NOT buy a Kimber in MA. I would have sold something else. Wicked acurrate gun. It is the only gun that I have sold, and really regret it! Have you contacted the Kimber Custom Shop?
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Buy a bushing wrench before you take dat baby apart! ;) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Here is a pic of me shooting my Kimber Custom TLE II. Are they good guns? Yes they are. This gun has the integral light rail in the frame, so it has made it to the top of the SD list. The gun is serious accurate and reliable. The only 1911 that I have shot that is better is my ED BROWN custom. but considering the Ed Brown cost 3x as much that says a lot for the Kimber. One thing about the Kimber is it just Begs to be used, Right now probably my favorite gun to shoot. You can not go wrong with a Kimber. You can also do well with a Springfield Armory 1911, As I have one of those also it and it is in the same class as the Kimber. But right now the Kimber is my Favorite! Buy a Kimber!!!
Attachments
ranch tg 069-3.jpg
ranch tg 069-3.jpg (90.78 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
ranch tg 051.jpg
ranch tg 051.jpg (96.82 KiB) Viewed 2365 times
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

that last picture is AWSOME :D
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Heres mine.I had 2 Colt 1911s that were nickel and dimeing me to death.The Kimber has not once gave me any problems.It is super accurate too.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
markIVbigblock

Post by markIVbigblock »

Im contacting the kimber custom shop so we'll see what they can do for me. someone mentioned ed brown are these worth the premium price compared to kimber? Im specifically looking at his kobra carry ( i really like the lizard scale checkering i think it adds alot to the aesthetics ) one thing I can say is I do like the bob tail design on the ed brown 1911's but should i just stick with the kimber?

Aaron
markIVbigblock

Post by markIVbigblock »

just out of curiosity The knife collector y cant u buy a kimber in maryland is it due to laws or a lack of dealers?

Aaron
Hannibal Lecter

No...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

markIVbigblock wrote:...but should i just stick with the kimber?
Yes. Ed makes a fine 1911, but it isn't worth the premium over the Kimber unless you are shooting competitively. A lot.

Trust me on this one. :D I certify people to carry concealed on the rare off-days.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
jbake

Post by jbake »

I have a Kimber CDP Pro that has been very reliable.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

markIVbigblock wrote:Im contacting the kimber custom shop so we'll see what they can do for me. someone mentioned ed brown are these worth the premium price compared to kimber? Im specifically looking at his kobra carry ( i really like the lizard scale checkering i think it adds alot to the aesthetics ) one thing I can say is I do like the bob tail design on the ed brown 1911's but should i just stick with the kimber?

Aaron
The ED Brown is Better!!! But how much for the price?? I not sure I can answer that. Like I said, The Kimber is my favorite to shoot. Period. You can not go wrong with either!

Here is a pic of my ED BROWN.
Attachments
NEW STUFF 036.jpg
NEW STUFF 036.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

For a first gun you couldn't go wrong with a Kimber...or two Glocks for the same price :eek: . ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I am in Mass and were are not ALLOWED to buy a Kimber in this state. The ONLY 1911 I am allowed to buy here is a S&W.It is not on the approved list.
FLUTTERBY

Post by FLUTTERBY »

The Kimber is a great choice for a 1911 platform, buy one for a fun range gun and get yourself a GLOCK for C.C. You simply can't beat a GLOCK for reliability, accuracy, low bore axis, etc.
Cheers
maintaining an elevated position behind heavy cover with anything belt-fed
markIVbigblock

Post by markIVbigblock »

im actually looking at a sig p229 or 239 stainless or beretta px4 for c.c. anyone have any experience with the beretta px4 or any of the sig models mentioned?

Aaron
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

markIVbigblock wrote:im actually looking at a sig p229 or 239 stainless or beretta px4 for c.c. anyone have any experience with the beretta px4 or any of the sig models mentioned?

Aaron
Well I happen to have a Sig 229 and a 220. Both are famous for accuracy right out of the box (like spydercos are sharp out of the box). Real reliable and I'm sure you would be happy with them.

The px4 holds a lot of promise but I have no experience with it. :cool:
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

zenheretic wrote:Well I happen to have a Sig 229 and a 220. Both are famous for accuracy right out of the box (like spydercos are sharp out of the box). Real reliable and I'm sure you would be happy with them.
Me too, I have a 220 and love it. Very accurate out of the box, no feeding problems either. Well made but expensive.

In Feb., I was up at the factory in NH for a job interview. Got a tour of the factory including the custom shop. Pretty impressive.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

greencobra wrote:Me too, I have a 220 and love it. Very accurate out of the box, no feeding problems either. Well made but expensive.

In Feb., I was up at the factory in NH for a job interview. Got a tour of the factory including the custom shop. Pretty impressive.
Expense is relative...he is afterall talking about getting a Kimber as a first gun. ;) A lot of new improvements coming out of Sig...must have been fun to tour even if the job match didn't work out :( .

I've been considering the new 229 SAS and the Mosquito
Texas guy

Post by Texas guy »

FLUTTERBY wrote:The Kimber is a great choice for a 1911 platform, buy one for a fun range gun and get yourself a GLOCK for C.C. You simply can't beat a GLOCK for reliability, accuracy, low bore axis, etc.
Cheers
I agree completely!
I have been looking into Kimbers myself, mainly because I want to try .45ACP and because 1911 is a timeless classic. But, I wouldn't carry anything other than my trusty Glock 23 .40 with nightsights and IWB holster. The Glock is so simple to field strip, clean, maintain and operate that it makes a great everday carry. I have NEVER had my G23 fail to load, jam, or misfire.