The Dodo dies!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zenheretic

The Dodo dies!

Post by zenheretic »

Well it is now official... :(
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Maybe they can do a sprint run! :D
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Dang dude that was fast! Yeah start begging for a sprint run when the ink is still wet on their death warrent!
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

zenheretic wrote:Dang dude that was fast! Yeah start begging for a sprint run when the ink is still wet on their death warrent!
If we don't start now we won't get the momentum we need! I am serious, the DODO is one of my top 10! Just think, Carbon fiber, Titanium ball Lock, ZDP blade!!! Sprint run!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

WORKER#9 wrote:If we don't start now we won't get the momentum we need! I am serious, the DODO is one of my top 10! Just think, Carbon fiber, Titanium ball Lock, ZDP blade!!! Sprint run!
Hmmm I wonder if the function of the lock is related to ball weight? If not, then I'm sure that a ti. ball would lessen the carry weight. Bring it on! Of course who can argue with a ZDP blade? I never gave a hawkbill a second glance until the months of the hawkbill thread and my own experiences with a PE Cricket. ZDP in a hawkish Dodo would be an awesome cutting tool! :spyder:
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

Where are you getting this info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Rock
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Lol, SFO website, under Specials. I've been checking it every day since my old threads speculating what models would go away.
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

NNNOOOOO!!!! :( :spyder:
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
PSU

Post by PSU »

That's quite unfortunate :( It was a very innovative model

Hahaha...sprint run talk already :eek: :D

Tom
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

PSU wrote:That's quite unfortunate :( It was a very innovative model

Hahaha...sprint run talk already :eek: :D

Tom
Ah come on, the sprint run talk only started exactly one minute after the first thread discussing the Dodo demise was opened... ;)
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

This is the worst news I've heard all day :( :( :( . What makes it really bad is that I've only got one! Time to stock up I quess......

If you don't have this knife yet I highly, highly recommend it. IMHO it is one of Spyderco's best, no joking here. It is sad to see this innovative model go, I can't imagine anything taking this one's place.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Thanks for the heads up zenheretic, I just went and ordered a backup(more to come later, when I have money). At that discounted price, I doubt the Dodo supplies will last long. $79.99 is cheaper that most dealers, and only Ebay is cheaper, but I'd rather order direct, that way I know I'll be getting a defect free model.

Very disheartening to hear the Dodo is gone, but I won't let it go without rescuing as many of them as I can ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
gabo

Post by gabo »

glad I have 3
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I have also just ordered three. I have set aside a small preserve in my safe to let them last out their days until I can open up some pocket time for them. Hopefully, I will the be the first to have a successful Dodo mating in captivity. Although my efforts to get a baby waved endura have so far been a failure...sorry Daywalker. :p
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

Axlis wrote:This is the worst news I've heard all day :( :( :( . What makes it really bad is that I've only got one! Time to stock up I quess......

If you don't have this knife yet I highly, highly recommend it. IMHO it is one of Spyderco's best, no joking here. It is sad to see this innovative model go, I can't imagine anything taking this one's place.
That's exactly what I was thinking! (Besides the worst news all day. I went through the wrong ebayer, and am now in dispute because I've been waiting for my :spyder: for 3 weeks now.) :( :mad: :(
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

Four have passed through my hands. A very well built knife.

I really think the blade shape killed this one. It was too specialized, hard to sharpen, and lacked a tip that could effectively puncture straight on.

People don't want to drop that much money on a box cutter, they'd rather buy one of those disposable razor blade knives.

The handle is also a little wide and clashed with certain hand types.

I'm hoping Spyderco keeps the model in mind and messes with the blade shape/handle ergos.

A Warnie Dodo with a less filling handle would be a marvelous knife.

Or maybe a relaxed hawkbill blade.

Micarta handle, anyone?

-Bryan
Woody

Post by Woody »

It is news like this that is killing me..... :o Had to do it... Wifey is ZZZZZZZZZ on the couch... Went to - get me in trouble Bay - and picked one up.... :D Now I just have to break the news to the other half in the morning.... :eek:

Like I've said... Easer to ask for forgiveness then permission.... :p
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Woody wrote:Like I've said... Easer to ask for forgiveness then permission.... :p

LOL thats funny.Man I wish it wasn't so close to X-mas... :( :(
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Blackninja...hope your ebay problem works out...I've had two ebay failures recently, I did get my money back but would rather have had the knives...why people sell knives they don't have is beyond me.

Woody...good luck with your forgiveness.

Vultureparade: Your comments about the blade and maybe replacing it with a Wharnie to improve it sparked a thought about the SPOT and its metamorphosis into the much anticipated SWICK. Funny that two very opposite blade styles (inverted hawkish dodo and extroverted pregnant spot) could both be improved by the straight on middle ground of the wharnie style blade. The Call of the Wharnie seems to be growing daily in this part of the knife world.
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

You're right, Zen. I, personally, love warnie blades. I think they can accomplish 99.9 percent of tasks, sharpen easily, and slice wonderfully.

They also look great!

It just seems like a shame to scrap the entire Dodo design because the blade shape didn't work out and maybe the handle needs a tweak or two.

The ball lock jives, the blade size is excellent, and the overall design of the handle works. I also hate to see a model with the wire clip go. We don't have enough of those as it is.

This may sound crazy, but I can't get it out of my head....

FRN flat ground warnie Dodo with a wire clip? Eh? Eh?

Too bad molds cost so much.

-Bryan