MORE Ceya...Ceya's Hawk! PT.1

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DAYWALKER

MORE Ceya...Ceya's Hawk! PT.1

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,

I just got this the other day via JDSpydo. (Thanks Joe!)

It is Ceya's knife called the Ceya Hawk. Some quick specs before I go on:
OAL: 10 1/2"
Blade Length: 6"
Cutting Length: 5 3/8"
Blade Width: 1/8"
Steel: Ask Ceya :o
Kydex Sheath

First of all, mahalo Ceya for letting me test your designs. As I have said before...they kick ***!!! This one is no different. Blade shape is unusual in that it appears to be a wharncliffe with a curved tip. Upon closer examination, it is actually bellied...sorta like a *very* stretched out Civilian. Swedge placement at the tip I like, and have it on some of my designs also. Good sign...at least I am on the right page! :D This type of "half swedge" enables the tip to mainatin strength, while slimming the spine enough for efficient thrusting and ease of penetration.

ONLY thing "wrong" is that the sheath has loosened a bit. Holding the by the supplied neck chord, I shook the Ceya Hawk up and down in sheath...it fell out and onto the carpet. No biggee...not like I would neck knife this beast anyway! Ergonomics are excellent, and as with all Ceya's designs, they are smartly balanced. This, credit is also to the maker of Ceya's Knives also of course.

Okay, I started testing with can cuts. I know, I know...but the ABS guys do it! :D I had a bit of a hard time at first, but then I got the hang of it after like, the 5th or 6th can. Clean cuts were not possible, I guess due to the blade shape, however, one can got it's bottom cut after I severed it...this means the Hawk cut it mid-air or something. (check out pic afterwards). After all the miscues, the edge was still sharp. One can actually freaked me out a bit...I saw the bottom fall, had no clue where the top went. I then heard it hit the shed roof and it feel in the yard. WHOA!!! :confused:

Off into my forest I went...

I started off looking for guava saplings to cut. Some of these are very flexible, so if you don't got a sharp knife, they simply bend and snap back in place. LOL, kinda like a Weeble Wobble toy! Anyway, cut cleanly a bunch of saplings in various diameters. Also, did some whittling on some wood to make "kindling". The Ceya Hawk excelled at this. I did notice that the front end of the Hawk came in very useful when choking up on the blade for detailed whittling. Oh, the flat of the blade I found was good to smack mosquitoes also! :p

After all this, the blade was still sharp. I then did some thrust and slash testing on my CNT Dummy made up of duct tape and nylon fibers that are VERY strong. The Ceya hawk penetrated accurately, even with the Hawkbill tip. Slashes went very well, and that "sweet spot" up blade front worked nicely with snap cuts! ;) I can imagine what a cut and drop would do! :eek: (This is where you cut and then drop your bodyweight downwards in full!) I made it to the 2x4 core on my dummy when I wanted...*ThUnK*!!! No tip damage. Sweet.

Knife was still sharp. :confused: I emailed Ceya about this, and he told me that this Ceya Hawk was not sharpened for years!!! He even "dared me to dull it"! LOL! More on this later...

I felt kinda bad as the can bombing and sapling cuts took it's toll on the blade's finish somewhat. I cleaned her up as best as possible, and now she is pretty much "back in shape". This blade has a fine beadblasted finish on it. I was surprised to see that the maker was not DMK...it was made by E. Chavar!!! :eek: Anyway, cleaning the blade I checked for chipping. None. Scratches in blade finsh...none. What the???

I did more testing on brush this afternoon. Said tests were done yesterday upon it's arrival. More to come in Ceya PT.2! ;)

God bless and mahalo for reading!
Attachments
CeyaHawk_Canslash.jpg
CeyaHawk_Canslash.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
CeyaHawk_Forwardgrip.jpg
CeyaHawk_Forwardgrip.jpg (75.52 KiB) Viewed 1808 times
CeyaHawk003.jpg
CeyaHawk003.jpg (37.19 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
CeyaPersianComp.jpg
CeyaPersianComp.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 1804 times
CeyaHawk000.jpg
CeyaHawk000.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

That is a wicked design. ;)

Looks awesome Chad, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to Pt. 2, whatever that may entail :cool:

And thanks CEYA for making it such an awesome knife.

Yet more stuff I want, where's the lottery when I need it.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

smcfalls13 wrote:That is a wicked design. ]where's the lottery when I need it[/B].
Aloha Scott,

Good to see you bro! Man, I been in **** to long as of late... :mad: :(

Anyway, this blade as I said, truly kicks ***!!! I mean KICKS! I hear ya on the lottery...seems to always be where we're not! :p

God bless and take care! :cool:

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Ooohhh.. The grinds.. the grinds... :cool: Nice work Ceya! :D

Sam
CKE

Post by CKE »

**** that is big. Nice work and great review. Take Care!!!

Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
BlackNinja

Sweet

Post by BlackNinja »

That's one nasty blade. The knife looks like it has awesome power. Thanks for the pice and revlew.
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

You know, make that blade about 10-12 inches long, and you would have one helluva brush clearing tool...hmm..
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Ray.Hood

Hey Daywalker, sounds like you had fun!!

Post by Ray.Hood »

Chad, that looks awesome, must have been fun to wield!!! :D
Great job CEYA!!!
DAYWALKER

Ceya Hawk PT2

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,

Okay, let's just finish up "Ceya Hawk PT2" here so this thread doesn't get scattered in parts...like whatever comes in contact with this knife! :eek:

In the words of Chris Mapp: "You know, make that blade about 10-12 inches long, and you would have one helluva brush clearing tool...hmm.." My friend, you read my mind.

I had some yard work to do today as the sun was out finally, so I had to take advantage of the dry weather. I brought along Ceya's Hawk to pull yard duty. I used it as a scythe to whack some tall weeds...no challenge. Overhanging branches from the tree next to one side of the house...yawn. I then proceeded to saw against the metal laundry pole thinking what Ceya said, "Try to dull it..." :eek: Just kidding.

Okay, I was ready to grab a machete to clear some stray foliage...this type of tree is rather hard, and unforgiving. I started to walk towards the shed, and I said, "Waitaminute..." I grabbed the Ceya Hawk from my right BDU thigh pocket and figured what the heck...also, I recall Ceya saying to *try* and dull it through use. Here we go...

Some of the smaller diameter branches got hacked cleanly off. The larger diameter ones, I actually hacked at...the swell at the end of the grip allowed a grip which consisted of my index and middle fingers only as well as my thumb of course. This grip enabled more reach as well as acceleration on the hacking. Incredible. I cleared three small trees with such a small knife. Well, hey...if thombrogan can do the same with his Dodo... :D I used a Kabar for this sorta thing at one time, and it did not perform anywhere near as well as the Ceya Hawk. I noticed that the Hawkbill "sweetspot" helped on the bigger trunks. Hack almost through, and flip the Ceya Hawk edge up and pull upwards. This also prevented me from dinging the edge aginst lava rocks. :eek: ;)

Anyway, the knife is not as sharp as when I got it, but it is still "sharp enough". It went through cans, whittled woods of various hardness, lopped saplings, played with my CNT Dummy going through a T-Shirt, Nylon cover, and fibrous strong nylon material filling as well as layers of Duct tape, took down three small trees, and blade flat squashed more than a few mosquitoes...Cripes.

As I studied the edge geometry,this will be SO easy to resharpen...especially that *sweet spot* that all hawkbills posess. ;) Hats off to you Ceya! The Ceya Hawk is one incredible cutting machine that outperforms in it's size class, very ergonomic and well balanced, and has an extremely unique look...

Now that you're "back"...stay this time will ya? :)

Chris Mapp...if this blade is lengthened to 10-12 inches...whoa... :eek:

God bless and mahalo for reading everyone! :cool:
Attachments
CeyaHawk_LevelForest.jpg
CeyaHawk_LevelForest.jpg (94.81 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
CeyaHawk_FL2.jpg
CeyaHawk_FL2.jpg (83.94 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
CeyaHawk_detailgrip.jpg
CeyaHawk_detailgrip.jpg (65.1 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
CeyaHawk_Edgeinreverse.jpg
CeyaHawk_Edgeinreverse.jpg (61.24 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
CeyaHawk002.jpg
CeyaHawk002.jpg (32.28 KiB) Viewed 1758 times

spydutch

Post by spydutch »

One helluva knife Daywalker :cool: . It indeed looks like the blade of the Civy, only better.

Wish Spyderco would make a folder just like that(with serrations of course :D ).

Have fun with it Daywalker(don't let this one bite you :eek: )

Take care in ****.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

spydutch wrote:One helluva knife Daywalker :cool: . It indeed looks like the blade of the Civy, only better.

Wish Spyderco would make a folder just like that(with serrations of course :D ).

Have fun with it Daywalker(don't let this one bite you :eek: )

Take care in ****.
Alohallo spydutch!

Whoa...G10 Civi! Show off!!! :D :p Just kidding my friend. I think I am done playing with this Ceya Hawk. I have some reservations about "testing" a custom prototype for too long... :) I tell you the truth, this Hawk is wicked, and I am not just saying it because Ceya is one of my "amigo's". :rolleyes: If such were the case, I do not think I would be a tester...

Anyway, do have a happy thanksgiving big guy...and since we're showing off Civi's... :D

God bless and mahalo for reading!
Attachments
PECivi1.jpg
PECivi1.jpg (86.04 KiB) Viewed 1749 times

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the field review Chad! Seems to be a well built knife.
Nice PE civie from the early years ;)
Jano
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

WOW! That's all I can say. It's one striking knife, ya think? Great design Ceya.

Chad, I know that'll have to be pried out of your hands. ;) And I'm sure we'll see Pt. 3 of the field test soon. Have fun my friend.
ceya

Post by ceya »

Thanks Daywalker! :) :D Thanks guys !

The sheath problem was after years of breaking it in, the steel is ATS 34 and the design is 10 1/2 yrs old.

It is a combo of a hawkbill design and a bowie, the back of the bird's head can be fully sharpened for back cuts.

Yeah it is because my training with James Keating at the Riddle of Steel in 1995.

There is a some what different version coming out soon with some changes that was recommended in 1998 -99.

S/F,
CEYA!
ceya

Post by ceya »

The blade shape is not like the Civie. The concept of the hawk bill and Bowie came from there.

S/F,
CEYA!
ceya

Post by ceya »

The blade shape is not like the Civie. The hawkbill part of the concept of the hawk bill and Bowie came from there.

S/F,
CEYA!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

ceya wrote:The blade shape is not like the Civie. The hawkbill part of the concept of the hawk bill and Bowie came from there.

S/F,
CEYA!
You're right about that I must admit. When I look closely at he picture of my Civie in hand and Daywalker with yours, you can see the difference clearly.

Anyway, it's a beatiful knife. Terrific job ceya :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
ceya

Post by ceya »

Thanks!

S/F,
CEYA!
ceya

Post by ceya »

If anybody wants to test it out , please let me know.

S/F,
CEYA!
Hannibal Lecter

I'm In...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Ceya,
ceya wrote:If anybody wants to test it out, please let me know.

S/F,
CEYA!
If you will permit, I would be glad to test it and put it through the paces.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."