The evolution of a car kit

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
aicolainen

The evolution of a car kit

Post by aicolainen »

I recently switched out my ageing 4WD SUV, and took the time to snap some photos while transferring my car kit to my new car.
It's a base kit that's always in the car and would of course be supplemented by appropriate gear for each specific trip and season. Winters are long and harsh around here and the population density is low compared to most other countries, so any road trip in excess of 3-4 hours would most likely involve passing through desolate areas ond/or exposed mountain passes. Though I've hardly ever run into problems, some level of preparation and planning ahead could greatly impact comfort level and outcome if something unintended were to happen.

The kit has evolved naturally over many years through a multitude of failures and embarrassing moments, as well as some foresight and learning from the mistakes of others. As any other kit it undergoes constant evaluation and tweaking, commonly known as CQI around here, but the rate of changes drop off significantly as the kit has matured over the years.

Glove box:
band aids, instruction manual, mandatory paperwork, pen, notebook, LM Supertool 300, 17mm socket and extension for the wheel bolts, tick removers, padlocks for the dog cage and barely visable in the back..

Resilience S35VN CE and Hultafors OK4

Center console:
assorted USB cables for device charging, Astrolux FT03 thrower flashlight, Lumintop TLF/BLF FW3T titanum flood flashlight, Olight Nova CR123 headlamp, spare CR 123 cell and hand lotion.

Under passenger seat:
Ice scrape/snow brush and..

telescopic pipe socket wrench

luggage compartment:
The luggage compartment is completely filled by a custom made, double dog cage. This leaves very little accessible storage for my kit - much less so than my previous 4WD, but there is enough accessible and semi accessible storage to make due.
Side compartment:
med kit, work gloves and tool kit with:

screw driver kit, pipe socket kit, adjustable wrench, 10 and 13mm fixed, ratcheting wrench, paracord, box of assorted screws and vinyl gloves (in zip pocket).
Under floor compartment:

TP, cork screw dog leash attachment, jacking strap, ESEE Darien machete, telescopic snow shovel/hatchet, Fiskars X11S axe, tire repair kit, luggage net and collapsible storage box.
I'd probably move the snow shovel to the roof top rack (as it was in the old car) when I have it fitted to the new car, but there's still a few pieces missing before that can happen.

Although a motorized vehicle impose fewer restrictions on size and weight, I still try to keep it lean and clean and try to avoid unnecessary clutter by assessing the relevance of any item I add to the kit.
Another principle I try to adhere to is not to buy items specifically for this purpose, but rather repurpose items I already own or for items I would own anyway, I just store them in my car if the car is typically near by when I need them.
I did not bother to snap photos of disposable items like paper towels, wet vipes, poo bags etc. as well as mandatory safety equipment like high viz vests and warning triangle. Otherwise that's pretty much all.

Note: This kit is finely tuned for my personal needs, so this is not meant as a recommendation or to start a discussion on the ultimate car kit, it's just a practice that has served me well and proved very useful, so if anything it's just meant as inspiration to make your own kit, for your needs - before you actually need it.
mikey177

Re: The evolution of a car kit

Post by mikey177 »

Thanks for sharing. Indeed, the contents of one's car kit will depend on the situations or emergencies one will most likely encounter on a particular trip.

My country is part of the Pacific Ring of Fire, in addition to having several active fault lines, and being in the path of tropical storms from June to December each year.

My car kit is geared toward dealing with volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and typhoons, as well as more common roadside emergencies like traffic accidents or vehicular trouble.

My get-home bag, pictured below, contains the following: Folding knife, fixed blade, headlamp, paracord, bandages and gauze, trauma shears, torniquet, extra shirt, multitool, N95 masks, emergency blankets, spare eyeglasses, monocular.
ghb_2024.jpg
In addition, I have the following under the passenger seat: jumper cables, folding shovel, crowbar, extra footwear.

In the trunk there is an axe, heavy duty gloves, vise grip, raincoat, and a meter-long steel pipe that I attach to the tire wrench to provide additional leverage when removing lug nuts. These are in addition to the umbrellas, sun shades, wrenches, screwdrivers and assorted tools one typically has in their vehicle.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I bookmarked this thread.

Today we do not have a car, but that will probably change within the next 2 to 3 months.

I suggest everyone have a car kit, and a very light go-bag(could be a shoulder sling) and carry this 5lb bag everywhere that you go. You never know if your car will be stolen or you cannot get to the car for some reason.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:14 am
Thanks for sharing. Indeed, the contents of one's car kit will depend on the situations or emergencies one will most likely encounter on a particular trip.

My country is part of the Pacific Ring of Fire, in addition to having several active fault lines, and being in the path of tropical storms from June to December each year.

My car kit is geared toward dealing with volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and typhoons
8< ----
Thanks for the reply Mikey, and some interesting insight into a very different perspective.
Our scenarios could hardly be more different, so in just the two first post I'd say we cover a pretty large base of potential risks to be aware of :)
mikey177 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:14 am
My get-home bag
8< ----
I've never been to the Philippines, but I've been to Singapore many times, and I assume the climate isn't too different from PH. Hypothermia isn't really a big risk in any season.
I specifically didn't mention a get home bag, because I don't have one per se. And long winded as I am, I had to narrow it down to the items I keep in the car on a permanent basis.

I actually don't drive much, and my 4WD even less so as we have a small EV for everyday stuff, so for the most part I rely on my EDC backpack to get me home in a safe manner. I only live like 13km from my office, so for my regular commutes I typically run, bike or (increasingly) use public transport. So I have to cover my basic needs without being dependent on my car.

The second variable that makes a static GHB rather irrelevant for the car is the fact that when I actually do go somewhere with my car, it's usually with some type of outdoor adventure in mind, so the luggage compartment will be filled up with clothes and equipment appropriate for the season. This makes a dedicated GHB redundant most of the time, but it isn't a 100% reliable system - so to cover for the rare non-outdoor related road trip, I have a winter-trip-grab bag that I'll throw in the car for any longer drive in the cold seasons. I.e. most of the year :winking-tongue

In addition I have a second type of "grab-item". It's one of those Maxpedition EDC "pocket" organizers, that really hasn't fitted in anyone's pocket ever, but that's besides the point. It contains a selection of repair essentials like silicon tape, electrical tape, rubber glue, sewing kit (or actually; dental floss with a sewing needle taped to the dispenser), select first aid items, LM bit kit (to potentially complement the LM Surge I carry in my EDC backpack), and various other just in case items.
This organizer started out as my O.G. car kit, but as I developed a more capable and dedicated car kit this has evolved in to a supplementary kit that I store in my house ready to grab when I think it's relevant. E.g. extended trips like summer vacation or when riding with someone else and I don't have my own car kit to rely on.
This is also where I typically keep a stash of spare batteries on extended trips.

All in all, I feel I've found a modular and dynamic system that works very well across the scenarios I do- or consider myself likely to run into, but also serves me reasonably well across multiple modes of transportation.
I feel like a die hard prepper writing about this, but I'm really quite relaxed about it. Trying to strike a balance between convenience (mostly this, because I hate not being able to resolve small issues that becomes unnecessarily difficult without some basic gear) and also not dying from some stupid cause that could be easily mitigated with common sense foresight and preparation.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I've never been to Singapore, but have been to its next-door neighbor, Malaysia, and find that the climate is indeed similar to the Philippines.

You are fortunate to live in a country that is commuter-friendly. Mine is not accommodating to cyclists, pedestrians or commuters, hence why many people use a car if they can.

I like the idea of a modular carry kit. I myself have a sling bag that contains many of the items that I may need in an emergency, such as spare batteries and medicine.

The sling bag allows me to leave my GHB in the car when I go out.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image I appreciate seeing gear people have in vehicles, I always learn something. I thought I would contribute another item I carry which is a glass breaker in my console . It could save you or others after an accident . Simple and effective . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Good thread! Here in California, with Prop 47, thieves get a slap on the wrist for breaking into a car, if that. You can steal up to $950 and it's only a misdemeanor. Car break-ins are endemic in SF and LA. So we tend to carry second-grade items in our cars because, if stolen, we can't count on police to take an interest in such "unimportant" things. I try to keep all items in my car of low enough value that I'm not heartbroken if it's all stolen.
Attachments
Prop47Theft.blog_1.jpg
Prop47Theft.blog_1.jpg (15.18 KiB) Viewed 806 times
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:12 pm
Image I appreciate seeing gear people have in vehicles, I always learn something. I thought I would contribute another item I carry which is a glass breaker in my console . It could save you or others after an accident . Simple and effective . MG2

It's concerning though that some newer vehicles have laminated side windows that typical glass breakers don't seem to work well against. Hence why I have a crowbar in addition to a glass breaker in case I need something with more heft. A tire iron might work as well, have never tried it though :smlling-eyes
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice thread.
I always try to keep a set of jumper cables and a loggin chain is good to have too.
Actually, I'd really like to have a big brush guard and winch on my truck but, that gets really expensive and I've never really needed either.
And, in the winter time when we get a bad snow or know that one's comin I've had the notion to put a chainsaw in the back for trees that have fell
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

mikey177 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 5:34 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 6:12 pm

It's concerning though that some newer vehicles have laminated side windows that typical glass breakers don't seem to work well against. Hence why I have a crowbar in addition to a glass breaker in case I need something with more heft. A tire iron might work as well, have never tried it though :smlling-eyes
Thanks Mikey ! I learn something new everyday, I do have a small prybar in my gear bag . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

You're welcome, Dan!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I keep a small shovel, tarp and large bolt cutters for cutting pad locks off in emergencies along with the other more usual stuff . I'd tailor the load to where I'm going and what time of year it is and what weather I expect to meet.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I used to keep a car kit with a folding shovel, a Leatherman Sidekick, a Fiskars billhook saw (for clearing small fallen trees after storms), collapsible baton, headlamp, wet weather gear (rain jacket, rain pants), and a multiple casualty trauma kit (I'm a certified occupational/industrial first responder) in my car. I stopped when my car got broken into and it was stolen.

These days I just keep a significantly scaled-down version that fits in my work backpack, so I can take it out & bring it with me if I have to park my car in a sketchy area for a length of time. I keep it down to a small trauma kit (CAT tourniquet, 4" OLAES modular bandage, disposable CPR face shield with one-way valve, Leatherman Raptor Response shears, nitrile gloves, emergency rescue blanket), a Fenix HM50R v2.0 headlamp, and a Becker BK3 TacTool (which can serve as a chopping tool, prybar, breakout tool, and improvised small shovel).
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Bolster wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 8:11 pm
Good thread! Here in California, with Prop 47, thieves get a slap on the wrist for breaking into a car, if that. You can steal up to $950 and it's only a misdemeanor. Car break-ins are endemic in SF and LA. So we tend to carry second-grade items in our cars because, if stolen, we can't count on police to take an interest in such "unimportant" things. I try to keep all items in my car of low enough value that I'm not heartbroken if it's all stolen.
zuludelta wrote:
Thu May 30, 2024 5:49 am
I used to keep a car kit with a folding shovel, a Leatherman Sidekick, a Fiskars billhook saw (for clearing small fallen trees after storms), collapsible baton, headlamp, wet weather gear (rain jacket, rain pants), and a multiple casualty trauma kit (I'm a certified occupational/industrial first responder) in my car. I stopped when my car got broken into and it was stolen.
Ohh.. that's sad. And makes it more of a hurdle to stay prepared.
I assume car break ins are mostly a problem in urban areas, so a well thought out EDC bag/backpack should probably cover most needs for daily commutes and shorter drives.
Similarly a grab bag with essential tools and gear for longer trips or driving to/through less populated areas where self sustainability is more important would make it easier to stay reasonably equipped for most scenarios, even in "lawless" country. It's more to think about when going somewhere and for some it's probably not one way or the other, if you regularly drive through urban and more remote areas on the same trip.

On the flip side/up side, it's an (nice) opportunity to practice minimalism :) Not that I envy your situation the least, but I do sometimes stop to think about how simple life was back in my 20's. Having an old, cheap petrol car that no one in their right mind would think of stealing. Super simple tech that anyone with reasonable technical insight could repair / maintain yourself with very simple tools. And a youths fearless (mindless?) attitude to life, going head first into any task or adventure with minimal preparation. I've come a long way from that, and I sometimes wonder if I'm striking the right balance of "older and wiser" or if I've gone too far to the other end; over thinking and over complicating things. I have a proclivity to easily nerd out on stuff, but I'm aware of this problem, so I think I mostly manage to stay on the rational side. I sure have more responsibility now, so even if there was a simpler way to go about life, it won't ever be like the old days.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

aicolainen wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 2:43 am
Ohh.. that's sad. And makes it more of a hurdle to stay prepared.
I assume car break ins are mostly a problem in urban areas, so a well thought out EDC bag/backpack should probably cover most needs for daily commutes and shorter drives.

I've actually had a bit of fun constructing a get-home bag that's functional but inexpensive. A lot of downgraded options still work OK. When I was commuting on the train through downtown Los Angeles, I had a specialized "cheapo" backpack I carried, and wore cheap looking "glorified sack" anoraks over my professional clothes. Learned to not wear a watch, as the creeps key into that. No straight knives allowed on the train or in LA, but I carried a nicely sharpened putty knife, etc. After the first week of traveling on public transportation in professional clothes, I quickly learned to fly under the radar, to stay out of trouble, and to stop being every vagrant's "mark" for a money request.

My everyday user car is sort of the same thing...nothing to notice. Grey man in a grey car. Carry a blue tarp in the back of the car to cover up my cargo...especially in the Home Depot parking lots, which are basically thief shopping malls.

Gotta adapt when the politicians essentially encourage lawless behavior, which is the case in California currently.

Unwisely, I do carry a Spyderco in my car...but it's an old VG-10 Caly with a lot of use and a lot of blade play, so if it's stolen, it'll just be an excuse to buy an upgraded model!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189