Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Martial Arts Experiences Discussion Thread

Post by James Y »

zuludelta wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 8:32 pm
James Y wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 9:19 am
I may be wrong, but I imagine that with a partially-filled water bottle, the water inside could potentially increase the centrifugal (?) force of the blow, almost (but not quite) like a sap.
I think so, but the water sloshing around might also make it slightly more difficult to handle.

A full 1L steel bottle could do a fair amount of damage. IIRC, the Mythbusters show back in the day tested the movie trope of using beer bottles as improvised clubbing weapons in bar fight scenes & what they found was that an actual longneck industry standard 355 mL beer bottle (instead of a movie prop bottle designed to break on impact) can generate enough force to cause a concussion and multiple skull fractures.

Thank you for sharing!

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Let Him Have It (Using a Blade)

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

New Zealand's ' Deadliest' Man vs Gang of Scottish Thugs

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Possible Example of "Iron Shirt"/"Iron Vest" (Tie Bu Shan)?

...or does she have some type of protective shield under her shirt and over her abdomen? Those slaps (or hammer fist strikes; it's difficult to tell)) are almost unnaturally loud to be hitting an abdomen that's only covered by a shirt. Even if she does have a thin shield hidden under there, those sound like heavy enough strikes, not something most older women could take standing in place with a smile.

Tie Bu Shan (if said really slowly, pronounced like "Tee-yeh Boo Shan"), is a type of internal/external training that develops the practitioner's ability to withstand impacts to certain areas of the body with no internal or external damage. In Kung Fu movies, practitioners of Tie Bu Shan are usually villains, and are portrayed as nearly unbeatable, except for one vulnerability, which varies depending on the movie. Of course, the movie portrayals are exaggerations.

Contrary to its name, Tie Bu Shan is not an actual protective garment that one wears. It's a qi (chi) development, along with external conditioning methods, that toughens the body to resist impact. I've punched a Tie Bu Shan practitioner on his bare abdomen before, and it was like punching an inflated tire. And he was smiling and seemed relaxed as he absorbed the punch. And in case you're wondering, he wasn't a big fat man, so he wasn't protected by flab; he wasn't a ripped hard body, either.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Testing a Self-Defense Stick: Will It Work?

You'd be far better off with a simple, straiight, rustic hickory walking stick (and really knowing how to use it) than trying to rely on some cheap gimmick. The hickory stick is perfectly legal, and hits harder (provided you know how and have trained) and is far superior to some gimmick that could get you killed.

Of course, some young guy or gal wouldn't want to carry a real walking stick, unless they had some injury or disability that required it. I'm 61 and don't need a walking stick as a walking aid at all (although my hip does flare up occasionally), but I can get away with just carrying it around, because of my age (I look around late-40s or so, but the beard helps). I've had cop cars drive past me while carrying my stick on my walks, and have never gotten a second look (or in many instances, even a first look).

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James,

I think that I will finally plunk down the cash for a hickory walking stick or a hickory cane.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:39 pm
James,

I think that I will finally plunk down the cash for a hickory walking stick or a hickory cane.

I hope you get one that you are happy with!

🙂

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Why There is No "Best Martial Art"

This video should be required listening for every young person out there who is thinking about getting into martial arts, or even simply discussing them. I came to these same conclusions back in the late 1970s.

Unfortunately, like he says near the end, most of the truths of what he says here will go right over the heads of the closed-minded, tribalistic types who need to hear it and learn from it the most. The big reason why I no longer discuss the subject of martial arts with anybody in real life. There are a few intelligent individuals in the martial arts out there who haven't been fully indoctrinated into the obnoxious "cult of superiority" mindset, but the key word is "few."

Jim
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I'm not sure what kind of feedback to want or expect exactly but I have been thinking about buying the self defence course that I linked to below, just curious if anyone here has any thoughts looking at it. I don't have a martial arts/self defence practice of any reputation near me, so video learning and sparing with my dad and brothers is the best I can do. I have practiced Ju-Jitsu by watching Gracie Academy videos and sparing with my family, as well as doing solo drills to keep the muscle memory fresh, and while I understand that in person training has many more benefits, video training has worked fairly well for getting me a foundation in basic techniques. I just don't have the time, money, or even anywhere to go to get in person training.

I came across these videos after listening to a random pair of over the phone interviews with our very own Michael Janich, then another one with self defence instructor Michael South. Mr. South is one of the instructors in the second more advanced Krav Maga course, but obviously I'll be starting with the beginner course. His credentials seemed fair enough, he's trained law enforcement, and other government and state personnel, and I liked what he said about the mentality used in Krav. I wouldn't buy this course just because it was all I've found so far, I had to be convinced to consider it, but it also happens to be the only thing I've found so far.

What I am hoping to learn is the proper way to do basic strikes, how to use a hammer fist or how to do a palm heel strike for example, and a hopefully a basic understanding of when different strikes are applicable. Like I said, my dad and brothers are my sparing partners, so it will just be us watching the videos, then practicing as often as we can.

Anyway, here is the link if anybody is willing to take a look at the course, and I am open to hearing any thoughts or advice anyone might have.

https://www.blackbeltathome.com/product ... dy-course/
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:59 am
Why There is No "Best Martial Art"

This video should be required listening for every young person out there who is thinking about getting into martial arts, or even simply discussing them. I came to these same conclusions back in the late 1970s.

Unfortunately, like he says near the end, most of the truths of what he says here will go right over the heads of the closed-minded, tribalistic types who need to hear it and learn from it the most. The big reason why I no longer discuss the subject of martial arts with anybody in real life. There are a few intelligent individuals in the martial arts out there who haven't been fully indoctrinated into the obnoxious "cult of superiority" mindset, but the key word is "few."

Jim
All that one specific martial arts does is allow the practitioner to adapt to a specific problem. The set of knowledge is finite, so you have to study far more than one art.

I'll watch the video, but I just wanted to say(before watching) there are an infinite number of ways to attack/defend, and an infinite number of possibilities for the human body to be able to do something OR NOT. You either have an acrobatic or mobile frame/body or you DO NOT.

There is no best art because you don't know when and where the attack is coming from before it happens and while there may be a way to defend/attack against the initial move(s) you would be lucky to have studied what is needed.

The best "art" is the amalgam that the practitioner creates from all of the arts, studies done using movies / videos / DVDs and sparring sessions over the course of time. After age 35, everyone starts to go downhill physically so you have to adapt again.

I WATCHED THE VIDEO: I think I somewhat said what he was saying. Just go train!
Last edited by Naperville on Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:32 pm
I'm not sure what kind of feedback to want or expect exactly but I have been thinking about buying the self defence course that I linked to below, just curious if anyone here has any thoughts looking at it. I don't have a martial arts/self defence practice of any reputation near me, so video learning and sparing with my dad and brothers is the best I can do. I have practiced Ju-Jitsu by watching Gracie Academy videos and sparing with my family, as well as doing solo drills to keep the muscle memory fresh, and while I understand that in person training has many more benefits, video training has worked fairly well for getting me a foundation in basic techniques. I just don't have the time, money, or even anywhere to go to get in person training.

I came across these videos after listening to a random pair of over the phone interviews with our very own Michael Janich, then another one with self defence instructor Michael South. Mr. South is one of the instructors in the second more advanced Krav Maga course, but obviously I'll be starting with the beginner course. His credentials seemed fair enough, he's trained law enforcement, and other government and state personnel, and I liked what he said about the mentality used in Krav. I wouldn't buy this course just because it was all I've found so far, I had to be convinced to consider it, but it also happens to be the only thing I've found so far.

What I am hoping to learn is the proper way to do basic strikes, how to use a hammer fist or how to do a palm heel strike for example, and a hopefully a basic understanding of when different strikes are applicable. Like I said, my dad and brothers are my sparing partners, so it will just be us watching the videos, then practicing as often as we can.

Anyway, here is the link if anybody is willing to take a look at the course, and I am open to hearing any thoughts or advice anyone might have.

I think that it can be done.

Be careful, go slow and try to duplicate the effort on screen. I think most of it can be copied, and 10% to 20% will not be able to be copied if the DVD / stream does not have excellent videographers. I studied a bit using DVDs and streams and have years of experience. Did I gain anything? I still have most of the videos and DVDs so there is that, I have a library and if I decide to train with anyone I can get back into it....BUT I studied escrima and arnis in real life, and I stuck with that topic when studying DVDs and streams.

Get a few people to do the work with you. The more, the better because it is a DVD/stream and there is no on-site trainer/teacher.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:32 pm

I think Naperville summed it up nicely for you. Good luck with your training.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

You Will Get Cut and It Will Hurt! Watch This Before You Learn Knife "Defense"! / Raw, No B.S. Talk

And yet there are MANY internet "experts" out there who say that a knife is one of the worst weapons in terms of effectiveness, and that it can simply be taken away. Below are only a few examples I've personally seen posted by people:

1) "If someone pulls his little pen knife on me, I'll just take it away from him and give him a spanking."

*There are actual examples of trained, unarmed sports fighters who have been stabbed to death in one-on-one fights with untrained men who were armed with a knife. They've already been mentioned ad nauseum in this thread.

2) "A knife is an ineffective weapon. It has no stopping power and can simply be taken away from you and used against you."

*This statement is a contradiction of itself, because if a knife is that easy to disarm, then you should be able to disarm it back from him just as easily. Then you and your attacker can spend the next half hour disarming each other back and forth. And if he does use your blade against you, it has no stopping power anyway, according to them.

3) "Never bring a knife to a gunfight."

*Most knife attackers wouldn't be so stupid to attack someone with their gun out and ready, unless they are suicidal. However, I know of at least one incident where a man armed with a revolver was stabbed (but luckily survived) by a mugger who ran at him in a zigzag manner. The defender fired several shots at the mugger, all of which missed due to the sudden stress, and the mugger's erratically running at him.

A person armed with a knife, regardless of the size of the person or the knife, should NEVER be underestimated.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I carry at least one knife on me at all times. In a perfect world I would not have to do this.

I live 35 miles away from Chicago, a very violent city, and our town butts up against or is close to Aurora, Bolingbrook and Joliet where there are areas which are very violent and many hundreds of gangs.

Round trip, for the cost of 1 to 3 gallons of gasoline($4 to $12) there are more than 1 million possible offenders in my town at any time.

My area is affluent, but I'm poor. When I go out for a 3 to 6 mile walk passengers passing by in cars do not know that I do not have cash, jewelry, an expensive watch and cellphone on me. My biggest worry is that a car will pull over and 2 to 4 guys will jump out to rob me and possibly maim or kill me. According to the media, this happens many times per week within the 35 mile radius. I usually walk only during the broad daylight at high noon.

Just to be clear that is why I carry a knife. I did not carry a knife when I was in my 20's, as I was a fit and imposing figure. I am 64 now and it is my last ditch tool for survival.

If my situation sounds like yours, then carry a knife or a firearm. You have to rapidly size up the situation if people do try to rob or assault you, that much hasn't changed, but having a small weapon may help.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:30 pm
I carry at least one knife on me at all times. In a perfect world I would not have to do this.

I live 35 miles away from Chicago, a very violent city, and our town butts up against or is close to Aurora, Bolingbrook and Joliet where there are areas which are very violent and many hundreds of gangs.

Round trip, for the cost of 1 to 3 gallons of gasoline($4 to $12) there are more than 1 million possible offenders in my town at any time.

My area is affluent, but I'm poor. When I go out for a 3 to 6 mile walk passengers passing by in cars do not know that I do not have cash, jewelry, an expensive watch and cellphone on me. My biggest worry is that a car will pull over and 2 to 4 guys will jump out to rob me and possibly maim or kill me. According to the media, this happens many times per week within the 35 mile radius. I usually walk only during the broad daylight at high noon.

Just to be clear that is why I carry a knife. I did not carry a knife when I was in my 20's, as I was a fit and imposing figure. I am 64 now and it is my last ditch tool for survival.

If my situation sounds like yours, then carry a knife or a firearm. You have to rapidly size up the situation if people do try to rob or assault you, that much hasn't changed, but having a small weapon may help.

Thank you for sharing, Naperville.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

"Knee Stomps"?

Outside of MMA, they've always been called low side kicks. Guess side kicks to the knee are not as ineffective as many MMA fans say they are. They're so ineffective that MMA fighters who have been on the receiving end of them feel they should be banned. In truth, they probably should be banned, from the sport. It is way too easy to cause potentially permanent knee damage with a low side kick. This also makes a properly-applied low side kick one of the most practical kicks in actual self-defense.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

Florida Man Cuts Home Intruder to PIECES

Not martial arts-related, but...

The home intruder/shooter had done "at least 6 stints in state prison," and yet they kept releasing him. Did they really think he was a changed man when they released him for (at least) the 6th time?

Glad to see that the homeowner is NOT being treated like the criminal in this case.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

One Punch Changed This Man's Life / Fight Breakdown

Jim
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Fun question. Anyone here remember fight science back in the day? Made by national geographic. It measured all kinds of metrics of fighters to give you reaction time and power. Pretty cool stuff but it measured in mph and lbs of force. Now we have this new thing called powercube but it gives really high numbers that don't transfer over directly to metrics like mph or lbs of force. The question is why the secrecy? Why some new method of measurement that's a super high number but doesn't translate into a known measure. Sure seems impressive when someone punches or kicks at over 100,000 but what does that even mean. It's definitely not lbs or kgs.

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

VashHash wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:34 am
Fun question. Anyone here remember fight science back in the day? Made by national geographic. It measured all kinds of metrics of fighters to give you reaction time and power. Pretty cool stuff but it measured in mph and lbs of force. Now we have this new thing called powercube but it gives really high numbers that don't transfer over directly to metrics like mph or lbs of force. The question is why the secrecy? Why some new method of measurement that's a super high number but doesn't translate into a known measure. Sure seems impressive when someone punches or kicks at over 100,000 but what does that even mean. It's definitely not lbs or kgs.

I like these Fight Science videos. I may not agree with everything that they say but they make you think! I think the capoeira trained martial artist had one of the highest rankings because he followed through the target. It is an effective kick.

Don't strike at the target, strike through the target!

I am far too old to start training in something like capoeira but all the power to anyone who trains faithfully with a good instructor in any art.