Finally got a G-10 Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

Finally got a G-10 Manix

Post by akapennypincher »

Now I have question, seem difficult to open & close, is this normal?

Or old hands syndrome?

Needs time?
WilliamMunny

Re: Finally got a G-10 Manix

Post by WilliamMunny »

Should be easy to open. Just listen the pivot screws about 1/4 turn on wash side until it loosens up. It’s too loose if there is excessive side to side play on the blade. There is a “sweet” spot so it may take some trial and error.

Great knife, one of my favorites.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have a few some are a bit tight but over time open and close perfectly. Once broken in you will enjoy your purchase . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Are you talking about the pivot or the lock?
On almost every Manix I have, I've chopped the spring to reduce preload. One could argue that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but it makes me happy so I do it.
akapennypincher

RustyIron wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 1:06 pm
On almost every Manix I have, I've chopped the spring to reduce preload. One could argue that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but it makes me happy so I do it.
Lock is big problem.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

The knife comes with a "heavy" spring. Replacement medium and light springs are available. I can operate the lock okay with the original spring, but I prefer the "medium." For me, the knife becomes too easy to open and close with the light spring.

Or, as Rusty said, you can chop the spring rather than replacing it.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

If you’re used to an axis lock the Manix 2 lock is stiff. You need to use both thumb and forefinger to actuate it.

I’ve never thought it was stiff to open.
benben

Post by benben »

Just paid $100 OTD for a used G-10 Manix from a LGS, don’t look like it’s ever been carried or used, and screaming sharp! I like the stiff lock. Didn’t need it but couldn’t leave without it!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

akapennypincher wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 4:09 pm
RustyIron wrote:
Lock is big problem.

I have been blessed to have been able to handle all of the Manix 2 knives. Many people would be quite surprised at just how much lock-stiffness variation there is between some Manix 2 knives. Both G-10 versions, and Lightweights. If a person has only handled 1 or 3 or 9 of them, they may not have experienced much difference, but after handling over 60 different Manix 2 knives, it becomes clear. Every once in awhile, they do arrive overly stiff.
:bug-red-white

I know of a person who sells the next lighter spring for the Manix 2 in their Manix 2 upgrade kit. It's reasonably priced, and contains a new ceramic ball (Just as well put one in, since you have the knife opened up anyway), the next lighter spring, and a dowel pin.

The dowel pin is for situations when you 'feel' that only a very slight spring reduction is wanted or needed. You open the knife blade, and keep the lock pulled all of the way back, and slide the dowel pin into the 'lock-hole'. So when not using the knife, like overnight, when it's just sitting on top of your dresser anyway. This dowel pin keeps pressure on the spring for hours, and after a few times of doing this, the spring may 'break-in' nicely, and you are good to go.

If this 'trick' does not work for you, then you can go ahead and open up the knife, and replace the ball bearing and spring. This will take it to the next possible level of weaker. Just a notch below what the dowel pin 'trick' was able to do for you.
:cheap-sunglasses

I just now checked for you quick, and they are currently of stock on this kit, because it is pretty popular, but if you send them a quick message, letting them know you are interested in getting one. They would happily let you know when they will be available again. The website is ocd4edc dot com, and the listing is in their pocket knife accessories section, under the Spyderco Manix 2 Upgrade Kit w/o Ball Cage listing. They also sell this kit with your choice of a ball cage lock replacement. With the buyer being able to pick their favorite color option in a Titanium or Aluminum anodized ball cage, if a person wants to do away with the factory plastic one, since you have the knife opened-up anyway.

:usflag
akapennypincher

Thanks for this info.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Bought G10 Manix last year, it was a bit tougher to open an close. I felt a lot of tension from the spring I would say. Closing mechanism hurt my thumb and index finger. Lubed with KPL a bit played with the main pivot a bit and broke it in. After like two months of irregular carry it became smooth and very pleasant. Love to pair this one with my Squeak, Manix feels like a pocket tank! SO, I would say it will get better :)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

akapennypincher wrote:
RustyIron wrote:
Lock is big problem.
I think the strong lock actually is a big plus on the Manix, way better than for example an axxis lock.
The CBBL keeps the knife securely closed in pocket.

I could imagine that it just takes a little time of getting used to and "training" till you find the CBBL easy to operate too. For me that's the case with any Manix I tried, even when using just one finger to operate the CBBL. (See for example the vids I made for this thread viewtopic.php?p=1459252#p1459252

So give it some time and use, would be my advice!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 11:01 pm
akapennypincher wrote:
RustyIron wrote:
Lock is big problem.
I think the strong lock actually is a big plus on the Manix, way better than for example an axxis lock.
The CBBL keeps the knife securely closed in pocket.

I could imagine that it just takes a little time of getting used to and "training" till you find the CBBL easy to operate too. For me that's the case with any Manix I tried, even when using just one finger to operate the CBBL. (See for example the vids I made for this thread viewtopic.php?p=1459252#p1459252

So give it some time and use, would be my advice!
Could not have said it any better myself so +1 on this!
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

akapennypincher wrote:
Sun May 26, 2024 11:26 am
Now I have question, seem difficult to open & close, is this normal?

Or old hands syndrome?

Needs time?
As mentioned previously in the thread, the CBBL in the Manix 2 takes quite a bit more force to actuate compared to a sliding crossbar/Axis-style lock. As the lock breaks in and as you get used to operating it, it should get easier to use. My G10 Manix 2's CBBL is at a point where I can actually unlock it with just my thumb if I have to (though I still prefer and find it safer to actuate with the standard pinching motion).

As for "old hands syndrome", I personally know people with diagnosed essential tremors and arthritis who find the CBBL very difficult or even impossible to operate one-handed. It's an unfortunate trade-off for the lock design's top-shelf strength.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

As someone who is not a flicker, I like the lock as is and stiff. I really don’t like free swinging closers either. Part of why I don’t like Comp lock
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

akapennypincher wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 7:07 pm
Thanks for this info.
You are welcome, @akapennypincher
I called them (ocd4edc) yesterday, and the parts just so happen to have come, in just shortly before I had called! :smlling-eyes

So the Spyderco Manix 2 Upgrade Kit w/o Ball Cage is now back in stock. :usflag