Acetone on coated hardware?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ratthew

Acetone on coated hardware?

Post by ratthew »

Hi all,

I’m trying to get some pesky excess threadlocker out of standoffs/screws on a PM2 with factory coated hardware and I am reaching the end of what I can get off with a pick. Does anyone know if the coating used will hold up to a soak in some acetone to go after the threadlocker?

Thanks!
N. Brian Huegel

Re: Acetone on coated hardware?

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

ratthew

Post by ratthew »

Sorry for any misunderstanding, I am not having any trouble with disassembly. The knife has blue threadlocker and I am just trying to get as much excess as I can out of the coated barrel spacer and off of screws. I believe acetone should loosen up the excess, but I want to ensure it won't strip the coating from the screws and spacer before I start throwing it around.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sorry ratthew, looks like nobody knows...let's see if a bump will get your question answered...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The link was pretty clear about removing Loctite from threads.
Windward

Post by Windward »

For science!

Seems fine to me. Brushed some on and no bleed on the qtip. Honestly though though this was my only knife where the pivot coating wasnt totally worn off from just usage. Wouldnt stress it too much acetone or not, itll wear off eventually.
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

Acetone only is a solvent of organic compounds. I'm not sure if thread locker is organic or synthetic but I'm guessing the latter. If so it wont work well.
ratthew

Post by ratthew »

Windward wrote:
Sat May 25, 2024 5:51 pm
For science!

Seems fine to me. Brushed some on and no bleed on the qtip. Honestly though though this was my only knife where the pivot coating wasnt totally worn off from just usage. Wouldnt stress it too much acetone or not, itll wear off eventually.
Thank you for checking! Good to know it is an option that shouldn't do too much to the coating.