First official knife cut out and in progress.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Tristan_david2001

First official knife cut out and in progress.

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

IMG_5295.jpeg
IMG_5291.jpeg
IMG_5292.jpeg
If anyone saw my last design in my design sketch thread. I traced it out in marker on a bar of steel, and used a free hand grinder to rough cut it out and a little thicker of a grinding wheel to clean it up followed by some file work. Here’s how it currently looks.
Attachments
IMG_5293.jpeg
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Mk-211

Re: First official knife cut out and in progress.

Post by Mk-211 »

Looks good, what steel did you decide on?
Tristan_david2001

Mk-211 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:10 pm
Looks good, what steel did you decide on?
Thanks buddy, 1095
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Tristan_david2001

Did some sanding on the face of each side to clean it up a little more,
IMG_5305.jpeg
IMG_5306.jpeg
Mk-211

Post by Mk-211 »

What are you doing for scales?
Tristan_david2001

Mk-211 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:48 pm
I haven’t quite made up my mind on it yet. I got some cherry wood I think would look nice, but my ideal scales would be polished black linen micarta, sourcing and machining those with what tools I got sounds challenging though. If anyone knows, Is sanding and hand filing micarta as simple as wood?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Amazing. I like the design. I assume you will lighten the handle?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 5:52 pm
Is sanding and hand filing micarta as simple as wood?
The actual work is just as simple.

Make sure you have a good breath mask, and preferably also some air filtration running. Micarta dust isn't as bad as G-10 dust, but it's a lot rougher on your lungs than wood dust. Persistent, hacking cough for a week is no fun at all.
Tristan_david2001

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 10:47 pm
Amazing. I like the design. I assume you will lighten the handle?
Thanks very much for the kind words, and yes the handles gonna get some bigger holes drilled out to lighten the weight as well as pin holes, this steel I’m working on is some stout stock.
Tristan_david2001

TomAiello wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 10:58 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Is sanding and hand filing micarta as simple as wood?
The actual work is just as simple.

Make sure you have a good breath mask, and preferably also some air filtration running. Micarta dust isn't as bad as G-10 dust, but it's a lot rougher on your lungs than wood dust. Persistent, hacking cough for a week is no fun at all.
Good to know thank you!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Looks great , nice project . What is the thickness ar spine and do you have a grind you prefer ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Tristan_david2001

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 5:35 am
Looks great , nice project . What is the thickness ar spine and do you have a grind you prefer ? MG2
Thanx MG2, it’s coming along better than I expected, I have a little more work to do on the overall profile before I move on to the bevel work, but I’m really satisfied with how clean it’s shaping up. The stock thickness is about 3/16ths, and I’m thinking of doing a high flat saber on this one. Thanks for your interest
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Mk-211 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 4:48 pm
I haven’t quite made up my mind on it yet. I got some cherry wood I think would look nice, but my ideal scales would be polished black linen micarta, sourcing and machining those with what tools I got sounds challenging though. If anyone knows, Is sanding and hand filing micarta as simple as wood?
Oh yeah, Micarta won't give you trouble. It is just a combination of resin and fabric, to you can saw it, file it, and sandpaper it just like wood. Because it is synthetic, it has a more consistent constitution than wood, and it isn't as fragile, so it can be easier to work in some ways. The only thing you can't do is carve it with a knife.

As mentioned, a mask is important, and the dust can float around even after your done, so many people get a dust collection system. I try to avoid working indoors with such materials because I don't have any dust collection set up.

Looks like it is coming along nicely! Filing the primary bevels are where things will get very interesting. Will you be sending it out for the heat treat?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Tristan_david2001

IMG_5354.jpeg
IMG_5353.jpeg
Some progress happening
Tristan_david2001

I think the shape and size of the design came out pretty good. The paper I had drawn the design on from was very thin and flimsy, and I traced on the bar of steel with a thick permanent marker just by holding the paper down on the steel with my hand. Needless to say the drawn design on the steel came out pretty rough and much less refined from my paper design. I’ve got some thicker and sturdier paper and better markers now for future designs. But still this one is coming out pretty satisfying, the ergonomics feel very good for the size, the only thing I wish I could tweak is the blade angle being dropped down just a tad more with maybe slightly less belly. But having a more centered tip angle relationship with the handle can be an advantage, So I’m not overly worried about it.
IMG_5362.jpeg
IMG_5363.jpeg
IMG_5364.jpeg
Tristan_david2001

I’ve got no name ideas
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Would or could you use other types of steel, such as Lc200n, or N690?