LC200N Catcherman help...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
death-bringah

LC200N Catcherman help...

Post by death-bringah »

Hey :bug-red folks...strange question on the latest version of this great knife. Can anyone "flick open" their LC200N Catcherman? Specifically the LC200N steel-version?

I ask because customs has confiscated my LC200N Catcherman out of the mail, claiming it is a "centrifugal knife" which is theoretically prohibited in Canada, even though such knives are widely available in numerous brick/mortar and online stores, right here on Canadian soil...never mind for now how anti-sensical that is. I'm asking because I already have H1; MBS26; and AUS8 versions of same knife, and I can't flick any of them open. (But I don't like to open knives that way anyway) I have the option to appeal the decision, but I don't import anything that I know customs will have a problem with, especially since I can almost always find it sold here by reputable dealers. I'm wondering if someone at the boarder was in fact able to "flick it open", or if they are simply basing the decision on the Spyderco box it comes in. I wouldn't usually bother with an appeal either, but as these are so rare I am considering it...if you don't mind, please try giving your LC200N CatchermEn a very careful "flick" and let me know if it really can be opened that way. Thank-you kindly...

Take care -Daniel
DSH007

Re: LC200N Catcherman help...

Post by DSH007 »

It requires a whole lot of wrist.. but it's reasonably easy to thumb-flick my Catcherman open, yes. Also, depending on who's doing the interpretation, I'd imagine a "Spydie-drop" opening, which is also quite easy to do, could qualify as "centrifugal," too? Idk.. I'm not especially familiar with Canadian knife laws, but I've heard of Canadian knife enthusiasts asking retailers to tighten pivots screws prior to sending to avoid this issue at the border.. maybe something to consider for next time? Generally, (knife) laws that are so open to interpretation and administered arbitrarily make me angry, but I'll spare any further diatribe haha.. condolences on your loss and good luck on the appeal if you go that route!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Really stupid, and I hope you can get your knife. I know nothing about the appeals process though. I was going to mention having the pivot tightened in the future also. If you don't have anything to lose by appealing, go for it. Good luck.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

This knife is virtually completely unflickable, without swinging your arm like you’re trying to hit a homerun playing baseball.
This knife was simply stolen from you. I’ve had this happen to me, and have refused to order knives from abroad, since.
Welcome to Canuckistan. FJT.

PS. Bladescanada has them in stock. You can still order from them. They’re in British Cambodia.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

That’s ridiculous man and I hope you get the knife…the pivot idea is a good one to remember…idk if it’s my particular example or what but I can flick my Catcherman easily… good luck 🍀
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I’m able to thumb flick and middle finger flick this knife with ease.
- Nick :bug-red
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

The problem is the definition that CBSA used to determine what is a "centrifugal knife":

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... 1-eng.html

2. In accordance with subsection 84(1) of the Criminal Code and the CITT's recent decision in T. LaPlante, the CBSA resolves that centrifugal knives will be classified as prohibited weapons if the following conditions are met:

a. a knife has a blade that opens by centrifugal force, when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and
b. it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper or other non-edged parts of the blade.

To me, this means that no folding knife is safe; say, if you open any folder 90% of the way with your thumb and flick the remaining 10%, it is illegal. I know someone who has had GEC slipjoints seized based on this ruling. I'm not sure why you ordered from the USA though, as this knife is still available through Canadian retailers. Keep in mind that the above ruling really only applies to importing knives and has no effect on the criminal code definition, and many Canadian retailers have the correct licencing to import "prohibited" items.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

@death-bringah , I don´t have a Catcherman yet (but actually one ordered and on its way) so I can´t try, but unfortunately (in this case) I am sure it can be flicked open, just like Nick reported. In my experience pretty much any Spyderco can, if one is used to and likes to open a folder that way (like me... not for "show off"-, but for practical reasons).

That said and anyway: As always stupid laws like this really make me angry! I really do hope for you you´ll still get a Catcherman one way or the other!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I feel for you, Death-Bringah. I am Canadian, in Canada and I too have had a blade pinched at the boarder.

You missed the punchline to the bad joke. One handed opening is a no-no at the boarder too. Not to quote the nonsense, but that is how it goes.

I have no evidence but I feel like CBSA has caught on to the old "tighten the pivot" game and have confiscated based on style and appearance of function-ability.

I have not been tempted to risk the boarder since my last confiscation, I can't afford the $ or the :flushed :pleading :steam-nose :'( :vomit :vomit
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I have 2 older Catchermans and the new Sprint Run. All flick very easily.
death-bringah

Post by death-bringah »

Thanks all for your replies and help with this...I have a couple USA sellers who will kindly tighten pivots or etc. for me, but given my other older versions of Catcher-MEN, I'd hoped I could just go ahead and order a folder from a regular online knife store for 1ce. And of course I was/am excited for this new version and wanted to get it ASAP. What really bugs me this time is I know the typical Spyderco Edge-ucation insert would politely explain that this is a fillet-knife. I'm fairly certain I'll get 1 eventually. And on the off-chance reason prevails, I will try to appeal, so maybe I'll even get 2? :beaming-face

Thanks again.

Take care -Daniel
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

These knives are not "centrifugal knives".
As an expert in folding knives, feel free to use this response in the appeal. These knives are not designed for "switch blade like" or centrifugal one hand opening.
The canadian laws are one thing, taking a spyderco catcherman knife at the border is simply stealing.
Good luck in your retrieval process.
Last edited by alphaneuron9 on Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Scientia et pax
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I agree. It's stealing, justified by stupid laws.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Customs really making Canada safer... for the fishes.
Good luck with the appeal bro!