SE Manix 2 XL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

SE Manix 2 XL -

Yes, it appeals to me
44%
No, it’s not my bag
12%
I’d buy one
26%
I’d pass
18%

Total votes: 34

JoviAl

SE Manix 2 XL

Post by JoviAl »

I love the Manix 2 XL - it’s a decent sized knife for rough work, sporting a rock solid lock up and intuitive ergonomics. It is the only folding knife I’ve ever used that hasn’t developed side to side blade play after a full day of hacking up plants (not a huge deal, but a testament to the robustness of the design).

What I’m wondering is will we ever see a full flat grind SE manix 2 XL, and if it was made would you buy one? I can’t think of a better folder in the current lineup to do an SE variant of (especially in CPM Cruwear or Magnacut).
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wartstein

Re: SE Manix 2 XL

Post by Wartstein »

Sure, this would be cool and I'd definitely go for SE with the Manix XL over PE (well, I'd do that with almost any Spyderco...).

But that said: We don't even have the very popular "regular" Manix 2 in (ffg) SE yet, just a disco'ed hollow grind version... (viewtopic.php?p=1783318#p1783318)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 7:58 am

But that said: We don't even have the very popular "regular" Manix 2 in (ffg) SE yet, just a disco'ed hollow grind version... (viewtopic.php?p=1783318#p1783318)
😂 I’d buy one of those too!

I’m not advocating of one over the other, I just think the XL would really sing with a full SE blade 👍🏻 I really hope we get some of each eventually.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I think it would be a great idea . Sort of like a folding Jumpmaster . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

Do I think it would sell well enough to justify beyond a sprint, no. Do I absolutely want that big beautiful knife in serrated CruWear, YES.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 8:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 7:58 am

😂 I’d buy one of those too!

I’m not advocating of one over the other, I just think the XL would really sing with a full SE blade 👍🏻 I really hope we get some of each eventually.

The XL definitely WOULD "sing with a full SE blade"!!

Actually, if they made an XL lightweight (FRCP just like the Manix 2 LW) with serrations, this would without a doubt not only be my no 1 Manix, but also one of my favorite folders ever I guess..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benben

Post by benben »

I’d definitely buy one!

No lightweight, Gray G-10, FFG Cru-wear with the small serrated scallops.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 11:07 pm
I’d definitely buy one!

No lightweight, Gray G-10, FFG Cru-wear with the small serrated scallops.
There is no lightweight Manix XL anyway... and as much as I´d like to see one (a lightweight XL), I totally get that the feel in hand and use should be amazing with the heavy, solid G10 liner version and those nice SE scallops you mean!! Nicer than with a lightweight.
Just for practical/carry reasons I´d prefer an LW.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 10:58 pm
Actually, if they made an XL lightweight (FRCP just like the Manix 2 LW) with serrations, this would without a doubt not only be my no 1 Manix, but also one of my favorite folders ever I guess..
I know it would not solve the serration issue, but AWT makes aluminum scales for the XL. It will dramatically reduce the weight yet keep a very robust feel. May be something to consider. You could also get a Manix Combo edge and do the same thing.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I’d buy a Manix XL with serrations if it came as a salt.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I'd buy one in a heartbeat. No frn versions though. Any steel would do
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 5:42 pm

As said: I totally get the appeal of a heavy, linered G10 Manix XL with the superior cutting power of SE!!

But wouldn´t a lightweight FRCP version be great too? Should have about Endura weight, and going by the Manix 2 LW this handle in just a bit larger should be very soild and sturdy too plus a nice carry that would not weigh down pockets...
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Eventough i find it appealing for my Se Brothers i would personally not buy one as i collect PE Manixes.
So i voted both appealing and i will pass in this vote… :zany
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 1:18 pm
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Mon May 27, 2024 5:42 pm

As said: I totally get the appeal of a heavy, linered G10 Manix XL with the superior cutting power of SE!!

But wouldn´t a lightweight FRCP version be great too? Should have about Endura weight, and going by the Manix 2 LW this handle in just a bit larger should be very soild and sturdy too plus a nice carry that would not weigh down pockets...
Lightweights are cool. I have a half dozen or so but it's the weight of a larger knife that I like.
I always dreamed of a manix "super"xl with thicker blade stock, like the shaman, and a serrated edge.