What are these marks on the inside of the scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Paul Ardbeg

What are these marks on the inside of the scales?

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

With most knives, I opened up the Chaparral Sun & Moon to have a look inside. Both scales have similar markings in them that look to read "55". Part of the mould used for the G10? Never seen this in the 25+ different models of Spyderco I disassembled. Is it indeed reading "55" and if so what does it mean?

A Monday morning mystery 👻

:bug-red-white 37 Spydies and counting :winking-tongue
:bug-red-white 17 different steels and counting :winking-tongue

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
mikey177

Re: What are these marks on the inside of the scales?

Post by mikey177 »

This old thread on Blade Forums shows a disassembled Spyderco Myrtle. The major parts are numbered, perhaps to keep track of each whole knife unit.

Maybe this is the case with your Chaparral.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... w.1528090/
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

That is a fun detail. Probably it will be either something with the manufactering proces or it could also be an assambly worker putting pride in to his work. ( maybe his employee number )
Old Cars from smaller company's also frequently have hidden messages hidden behind panels where to owner normally never looks. Some of those can be very shocking... :zany
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

apollo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 5:27 am
That is a fun detail. Probably it will be either something with the manufactering proces or it could also be an assambly worker putting pride in to his work. ( maybe his employee number )
Old Cars from smaller company's also frequently have hidden messages hidden behind panels where to owner normally never looks. Some of those can be very shocking... :zany
That's so cool! Especially when the message is from decades ago.

MNOSD member #0052

Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

A bit off topic but I have a Yugoslavian Mauser from 1965 brand new right out of the crate. When I cleaned the cosmoline off, I found some handwriting on the stock and a lot of the wood parts had serial numbers written in pencil. The wood parts had the serial numbers stamped on after but were written on first so they stayed as a set. I always thought that was so cool and wondered about the man/women working in the arsenal in 1965. Such a different time then now. Anyway I get why you're wanting to find out what the marks are for. A cool knife mystery to solve! Good luck!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

apollo wrote:
Ha ha ha ! I worked for a dealership years ago where a guy brought back a new car with a rattle in passenger door . I pulled the door panel and found a nut wired inside door release assembly with a note asking how long it took to find it . :smlling-eyes Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Albertaboyscott wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:59 pm
A bit off topic but I have a Yugoslavian Mauser from 1965 brand new right out of the crate. When I cleaned the cosmoline off, I found some handwriting on the stock and a lot of the wood parts had serial numbers written in pencil. The wood parts had the serial numbers stamped on after but were written on first so they stayed as a set. I always thought that was so cool and wondered about the man/women working in the arsenal in 1965. Such a different time then now. Anyway I get why you're wanting to find out what the marks are for. A cool knife mystery to solve! Good luck!
I love stuff like this, what a great find! 60 years ago and just recovered after WW2.

MNOSD member #0052

Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:36 pm
apollo wrote:
Ha ha ha ! I worked for a dealership years ago where a guy brought back a new car with a rattle in passenger door . I pulled the door panel and found a nut wired inside door release assembly with a note asking how long it took to find it . :smlling-eyes Dan
Awsome 😂 was it a Tesla 😉

MNOSD member #0052

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:54 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
apollo wrote:
Hilarious ! I was just out of high school, it was a Chevy dealership . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ilikesharpstuff

Post by ilikesharpstuff »

G10 can't be injection molded, it is machined. It does appear to say 55, and that looks to be engraved with a pencil grinder or some form of handheld rotary tool. Perhaps during assembly pairs of scales were numbered to make sure they were put on the correct knife.

If you're not the original owner, it is also possible that this was added by a previous owner for some reason or another.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Injection molded parts are numbered so they can be more easily identified if found defective rather than checking the entire mold to find the errant part as most molds make multiple parts at a time.

nb
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Paul Ardbeg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 11:54 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
apollo wrote:
No no if an employee of Tesla did a thing like that it would not be hidden for long as Tesla's fall appart withing a few weeks anyway... :rofl