What is the single best spyderco configuration you own?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hobbyist

What is the single best spyderco configuration you own?

Post by hobbyist »

Not looking for your favorite model, but literally the best combo: model + steel + scale material + scale color + edge type.

Sprint, exclusive, or production. All count!
hobbyist

Re: What is the single best spyderco configuration you own?

Post by hobbyist »

Mine is the PE M390 lightweight delica. Exclusive from bento box. Scales were navy but I dyed it black.

I use this like a salt, it strops up amazingly, edge lasts a while, never rusts on me, and to my hand the delica is the best fit.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tough question...

From a practical/functional point of view for me the "best configuration" has to feature FRN, a backlock, an ffg blade with a pointy, but not TOO delicate tip and a long and of course "non aggressive" serrated edge... steel a not too hard but rather quick and easy too sharpen type (since SE stays sharp or "able to separate matter" a lot longer than PE anyway).
Color? Black is fine, though I slightly prefer something like the Endura/Delica blue

Out of all Spydies I own at the moment:
- The Endela SE in VG10 comes close to the above mentioned combo... pretty perfect knife, just its cutting edge is a bit short (which is a shame, since there´d be space inside the handle for more blade/edge)
- The Stretch XL SE in VG10 is also great, just its tip is a bit too fine for an all around EDC folder and my liking
- The thin red line Endura is probably my number 1 choice (again, out of all I do actually own right now).
FFG, FRN, long edge, pointy, but not TOO fine tip, nice, subtle color accent and a backlock... but "just" comboedge, not full SE....

My perfect EDC still would be an Endura, regular blade shape, VG10, SE and ffg... something that actually does not exist in that exact configuration.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

hobbyist wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:39 pm
Not looking for your favorite model, but literally the best combo: model + steel + scale material + scale color + edge type.
It's not my favorite model, but it does so many things so well, it's my avatar: The Magnacut Manix. Great blade shape, great lock, excellent steel, safe ergos, allows forward or back grip, I like lightweight FRN & FRCP, and the color is growing on me. It's too large in pocket to be my favorite knife but, doing so many things well, I can overlook size. If there were a LW Magnacut Caly...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Military CF/Ti S90V, Knifeworks Exclusive.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Flash

Post by Flash »

HH UKPK drop point - the ultimate version of the UKPK in my opinion. In fact I think this version is how the base UKPK should be and not have to rely on the Heinnie Haynes shop putting in a special order for limited quantities.
To go back to the cheap-feeling, chintzy FRN version after this one ain’t happening for me, hence I now sell all of mine and I’m no longer bothered about picking up the upcoming Magnacut version.
I know it has a slightly lighter weight but in terms of solidity, quality and feel the FRN version is a bit of a Christmas cracker toy to be honest, a near novelty item in comparison to the HH special.

But my current favourite:
The Lil native in Rex45 - solid little knife with a great action, unnoticeable carry, lovely colour g10 scales (I reckon) with an amazing steel. Mine picking up a nice natural patina now as it’s getting lots of use.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Tough question. For me it boils down to four categories -

Work - Jumpmaster 2 (H1 SE)

Home - Yojumbo CF S90V

General Outdoors - Manix 2 XL CPM Cruwear

Running/Climbing - Dragonfly Salt SE (H1)

This could change quite a bit once the new Magnacut SE and PE LW Native Chief arrives though. I’m loving the Magnacut N5 LW SE, but it’s a bit too bulky for running with, and a bit too short for proper outdoor adventures. The NC ticks a lot of my boxes.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image If going small .MG2
Last edited by Manixguy@1994 on Wed May 22, 2024 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageUsually I would say whatever is in my pocket but the Caribbean really works for me . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Synov

Post by Synov »

I had to make my own. Native 5+Magnacut+fluted Ti.

Last edited by Synov on Wed May 22, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Nirvana Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti 4V: Manix 2 Marble CF Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

hobbyist wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 9:39 pm

Sprint, exclusive, or production. All count!
I`ve owned quite few Spyderco`s, currently I have in my rotation 15 of them and all of them users. If I would have to say best combo in one knife, for me it would be K390 Delica - minimal lock rock, fantastic steel, good EDC size, extremely handy for most EDC tasks, beautiful patina and I am sucker for FRN - love it... If I will get Endela in the same steel I would consider that one the best but in my current "collection" that one is the queen.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

UKPK… I carry it and a Para3 LW. The UKPK gets 95%+ use while the Para3 get 95%+ fidget.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Impossible question. The original KW M4 CF PM2 was the first to mind. But the AWT liner delete is a freaking revelation for the PM2. I'm not convinced I like 15v more than M4 and K390, but I really have no complaints.

benben

Post by benben »

I've got more than several, today it's my Blue FRN Leafjumper in serrated K390, it's a pretty incredible folder!
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

benben wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 7:02 am
I've got more than several, today it's my Blue FRN Leafjumper in serrated K390, it's a pretty incredible folder!
I genuinely hope that the Spyderedge in K390 makes a comeback one day. My Police 4 K390 is like having a foldable Great White shark in my pocket at all times 🤠
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
kobold

Post by kobold »

I like customizing and blade swapping, so I have many good combos.

Currently this one is definitely the most carried. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it's a Magnacut, my first knife in this steel.
The aftermarket scales are 10g lighter than the factory FRN scales and they come with phosphor bronze washers, so the action is buttery smooth with CRK grease. I also like the color, the slim profile, the less aggressive scale texture and that it's still a Salt.

In the winter it would be maybe the Cruwear Stretch 2XL in Gray G10 or a CF/S90V Native Chief or a Bento Box Blue S90V Millie.

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Delica 4 Wharncliffe K390.

Not a knife that sees a lot of EDC pocket time, but by far my most used work knife.

The Wharncliffe blade configuration really supercharges the Delica imo.

K390 is in a sweet spot. Pretty strong, excellent edge retention, not too bad to sharpen, reasonable price range.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Tough one! The Milie or mPM2 in s90v and CF would be it for me. The Milie is very light (especially for it's size), has excellent balance, strong, rigid, light scales and that excellent s90v blade that keeps an edge for a long time.

Probably go for the Milie!

:bug-red-white 37 Spydies and counting :winking-tongue
:bug-red-white 17 different steels and counting :winking-tongue

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

Outdoor - Aqua Salt PE (H1)

Work - Atlantic Salt PE LC200N

Around Town - Salt 2 PE LC200N

Most Striking - DLT Exclusive 20CV Endura in Ladybug Zome with black-coated hardware and blade

Fanciest - Siren in CF/S90v
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed May 22, 2024 6:44 am
…the AWT liner delete is a freaking revelation for the PM2.
Yes those AWT scales are done right!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi