Social networks vs. forums - possible return of content to the forums?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PaloArt

Social networks vs. forums - possible return of content to the forums?

Post by PaloArt »

Dear forumites,

Due to latest updates in Meta applications, there are heavy limitations applied by content moderators, with help of AI, on any knife\EDC related topics. I am thinking if this is a new era when most of us will, in the end, get back to our forums, where we originally started sharing our EDC and discuss more instead of just posting photos with hashtags. Spyderco forums, USN, Bladeforums, you name it...

I am utterly disappointed by Meta decision to label non kitchen knives as guns as for me and most of us knife is a tool in a first place but as it is said, everything has a silver lining and I see potential positive outcome on our beloved forums as more and more people might return to more discussion related topics, reviews, and personal gallery posts.

What do you think about this? Do you have similar outlook on this?

Cheers from Prague.
aicolainen

Re: Social networks vs. forums - possible return of content to the forums?

Post by aicolainen »

I "quit" Facebook earlier this year when they wanted me to pay a subscription fee to keep my privacy settings, or give them up and use Facebook for "free".

As far as content, the service is absolutely of no value (and the same pretty much holds true for instagram).
Any knowledge shared on these plattforms are very ephemeral and hard to index for later reference, where as a typical forum serves much much better as a knowledge database.

There is one place where I'm locked in by Facebook and that is social coordination. It has become the default way to announce and update event information for most of my kids sports engagements as well as some of my own engagements. For this reason I've set up an isolated linux computer for just Facebook and Instagram, so I can check for updates on training schedules, matches and other events a couple times a week.

So, if what you're saying is true (obviously I believe you), this is good news for me, as there is a chance more knife enthusiasts will come back to the forums where I'll actually be able to enjoy their contributions.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I've never been on Facebook, but it always seemed odd to me that they would hate knives so much. Maybe they are just hyper paranoid. Take a look at what they spend on personal security for CEO's.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-muc ... 023-3?op=1
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I quit Facebook many years ago, maybe 3+ years ago.

Too many people who you do not know wanting to befriend you to read and see who you follow if you have your acct set to private.

An interesting turn of events was that I had people that I do not know asked to be able to follow me who apparently are related. Gave me the creeps, but I guess it was OK. I could not prove one way or the other if they were related. Social media is weird but it is cheaper than international travel.

I have a few social media and forum accounts and all of them are far more anonymous than my Spyderco Forum account.

Old friends and acquaintances tracked me down or I tracked them down and seeing what they posted on social media under their name let me know that I never really knew these people. I would not have befriended half of them had I known they were cray cray.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

shunsui wrote: ↑
Thu May 02, 2024 3:19 pm
I've never been on Facebook, but it always seemed odd to me that they would hate knives so much. Maybe they are just hyper paranoid. Take a look at what they spend on personal security for CEO's.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-muc ... 023-3?op=1
NOPE. I think many of us wish we could legally carry better knives, carry firearms, or have a security detail.

Like the article said, somebody shot up a Yahoo business unit.

Typically, anyone with an intent to harm, ignore signs saying "NO Weapons Allowed!"
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

My FB account has been deleted by META due to posting only knives and pipes, Instagram still intact but I use it to follow accounts related to EDC and smoking pipes again. Due to recent limitations, search engine will not show me more than 6 posts about any spyderco hashtags and it will not allow me to search for accounts that are knife related. For example, when I wanted to look up lionsteel knives account, I had do open their instagram account from their web page as it didn`t pop up in search\accounts... it is starting to be a bit ridiculous as I do enjoy nice photography of EDC items and bushcraft...

Well, this kinda made me return more to forums like here and USN.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

You have to understand. Knives will suddenly fly through the air of their own volition and attack people for no descernable reason. This is unnerving and calls for the utmost effort to restrict these vicious objects.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

It doesn't surprise me that there are more and more restrictions on what can be discussed on social media platforms like Facebook. I'm talking restrictions on basic interests, like knives, for example.

A lot of content creators on YouTube are having to go to other platforms to freely discuss certain topics that have no reason to be restricted, simply because they don't fit a particular narrow, restricted viewpoint. There are even certain, common words that are restricted on YT, forcing people to have to make up fake BS words to discuss certain topics, because supposedly, some people might be "triggered" by them. For example, instead of saying "killed," they now have to say "unalived," such as, "He could have unalived himself doing such a dangerous stunt." That's only one small example, and it isn't so small. It's ridiculous.

Jim
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have bad news. The death of social media cannot happen soon enough to save civilization. We are doomed, so enjoy whatever time you have left.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

James Y wrote: ↑
Fri May 03, 2024 10:42 am
It doesn't surprise me that there are more and more restrictions on what can be discussed on social media platforms like Facebook. I'm talking restrictions on basic interests, like knives, for example.

A lot of content creators on YouTube are having to go to other platforms to freely discuss certain topics that have no reason to be restricted, simply because they don't fit a particular narrow, restricted viewpoint. There are even certain, common words that are restricted on YT, forcing people to have to make up fake BS words to discuss certain topics, because supposedly, some people might be "triggered" by them. For example, instead of saying "killed," they now have to say "unalived," such as, "He could have unalived himself doing such a dangerous stunt." That's only one small example, and it isn't so small. It's ridiculous.

Jim
Wow, just unalive me now...

Just kidding, I intend to survive for some time still during the information apocalypse, but this is ridiculous what modern media is doing. Pretty predictable really, but not much less disappointing.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree πŸ’―. It's to the degree that you get censored for showing a Swisstool, but the Onlyfans girls posts flow by the thousands.
I'm amazed millions haven't left because of the censorship, let alone the fees they're beginning to charge.
yablanowitz wrote: ↑
Fri May 03, 2024 12:45 pm
I have bad news. The death of social media cannot happen soon enough to save civilization. We are doomed, so enjoy whatever time you have left.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

I think of social media as a digital diary. A legacy I can leave to my daughter when I'm gone. A blueprint on how to indulge in a hobby, and to help pay it forward to newcomers. Some are strictly interested in just the results nothing more. It's my hope everyone I've impacted with my hobby created a positive influence. An attitude of building bridges, building friendships across continets, learning diplomacy in disagreements, respecting views that differ from our own, encouraging others when hardships take over. My daughter is focused on becoming a doctor bcuz she wants to help ppl. If or when she gravitates towards any social media it will be at her own free will. In terms of content creators of knife related matters, I find most of them irritating. And the promotion of materialism is overwhelming in most cases. Right now I'm posting.some testing results bcuz there has been some interest in it on here. Altho I disagree with the prostitution tactics of some influencers, I try to do my part to make the community better. Typing up my findings is easier than recording videos for me personally but everyone is different.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearrowland wrote: ↑
Sun May 05, 2024 1:02 pm
I agree πŸ’―. It's to the degree that you get censored for showing a Swisstool, but the Onlyfans girls posts flow by the thousands.
I'm amazed millions haven't left because of the censorship, let alone the fees they're beginning to charge.

That's not true. :eye-roll

It's an extreme exaggeration at the minimum.

There are hundreds if not tens of thousands of groups and accounts on FB and YT based on knives and they are still there.

Comparing Only Fans with a knife web page/post?

Seriously? :eye-roll

Only Fans and the like are all over the internet, everywhere as are knife related gun sites.

People have to remember Face Book and YouTube are FREE. Each has their disclaimers posted for all to read.

That said the only ones I have personally seen have issues with have been idiots/morons who spread conspiracy theories and other false information and or solicited illegal activities or intend have solicited violence. Or continue to ignore the warnings from the admins which means they are complete idiots and morons.

These idiots think Facebook jail is a badge of honor. :eye-roll

In reality it means they are complete idiots at best.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Well, I've had my posts censored for just being knives on Instagram. I can't say for everyone, but it's happened to me. As to the trash posted on Instagram by the Onlyfans crowd, it's there and it's never censored. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it's happened to me and several friends.
Ankerson wrote: ↑
Tue May 07, 2024 5:01 pm

There are hundreds if not tens of thousands of groups and accounts on FB and YT based on knives and they are still there.

Only Fans and the like are all over the internet, everywhere as are knife related gun sites.

People have to remember Face Book and YouTube are FREE. Each has their disclaimers posted for all to read.

That said the only ones I have personally seen have issues with have been idiots/morons who spread conspiracy theories and other false information and or solicited illegal activities or intend have solicited violence. Or continue to ignore the warnings from the admins which means they are complete idiots and morons.

Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Tue May 07, 2024 5:13 pm
Well, I've had my posts censored for just being knives on Instagram. I can't say for everyone, but it's happened to me. As to the trash posted on Instagram by the Onlyfans crowd, it's there and it's never censored. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it's happened to me and several friends.
Ankerson wrote: ↑
Tue May 07, 2024 5:01 pm

I don't know anything about IG or any of those new whatever they are supposed to be things so I really can't say. :eye-roll

Been on FB since My Space closed down and YT, and forums since the 90's.

But then I am not addicted to my phone/computer either. ;)
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

My gunsmithing instructors had their content banned from youtube, so stuff like this is nothing new to me. And no it is not because they were promoting violent or stupid behavior, they are some of the best instructors in the world. It is really just a continued effort at an anti-weapon agenda, that in essence is actually an anti-tool agenda, because businesses and government don't want us to be able to do things on our own, especially defend ourselves. Now that so many people are hooked on youtube and the like, they are taking advantage of their leverage to try and paint their own version of reality. My dad said he had a computer teacher once who always said, "Perception is reality," and while this statement is untrue, it works pretty well on the general populous.

-- Old Norse proverb
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Scandi Grind wrote: ↑
Wed May 08, 2024 7:10 pm
My gunsmithing instructors had their content banned from youtube, so stuff like this is nothing new to me. And no it is not because they were promoting violent or stupid behavior, they are some of the best instructors in the world. It is really just a continued effort at an anti-weapon agenda, that in essence is actually an anti-tool agenda, because businesses and government don't want us to be able to do things on our own, especially defend ourselves. Now that so many people are hooked on youtube and the like, they are taking advantage of their leverage to try and paint their own version of reality. My dad said he had a computer teacher once who always said, "Perception is reality," and while this statement is untrue, it works pretty well on the general populous.

Come on... Lets be realistic here. :eye-roll

There are current gun channels out there on YT blowing stuff up with tanks, 20mm Cannons, .50 Cal Machine guns and even chain guns, mortars and other explosives.

I know because I watch them. ;)
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

And that doesn't mean my instructors didn't get banned.

Watching tanks blow stuff up doesn't teach people how to maintain the tools that we use for defence. Being able to do your own work on firearms to keep them in working order does. They don't care if you are watching useless content.

-- Old Norse proverb
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Scandi Grind wrote: ↑
Wed May 08, 2024 7:41 pm
And that doesn't mean my instructors didn't get banned.

Watching tanks blow stuff up doesn't teach people how to maintain the tools that we use for defence. Being able to do your own work on firearms to keep them in working order does. They don't care if you are watching useless content.

All kinds of those channels out there too, still.

Yeah, I am sure YT out of the blue targeted and shut down your buddies channel for no reason at all. :eye-roll

Come on... :eye-roll

Not sure what you are trying to sell here, but lets be real, there are currently hundreds if not thousands of gunsmithing pages and reloading pages on YT.

And they aren't hard to find either. ;)
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

OK, in simplest terms my instructors got banned for posting gunsmithing videos. This was either intentional or totally arbitrary. Either way it happened, and I'm sure anyone here can infer what they will from that. Or you can assume I'm making it up, which is up to each person's discretion of course.

-- Old Norse proverb