Civilian sharpening angle

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
maddoc

Civilian sharpening angle

Post by maddoc »

Greetings, friends!There was another question about Civilian.What is the full angle in degrees of sharpening of this knife?Is the sharpening V-shaped or one-sided? I want to sharpen the knife to a "mirror shine")I have a Tri-Angle with ceramic rods.I saw how to sharpen on it, as Sal teaches.But I did not find information on the angle and shape of the blade sharpening.Can anyone tell me?Thanks in advance)
yablanowitz

Re: Civilian sharpening angle

Post by yablanowitz »

The serrations are ground on one side only, the back side is the angle of the primary grind. The actual total included angle can vary a bit, but should be very close to the 20° angle of the SharpMaker. Color the edge bevel with a Sharpie marker and take a couple of passes to see where the marker is removed. You can shim the base or adjust your hold to match the angle.
maddoc

Post by maddoc »

yablanowitz thank you! I got a knife that was not new, without factory sharpening.In the photos from the announcement of the sale of a new knife, it seemed to me that the sharpening is two-sided .(I'll attach a photo - circled what confuses me is the glitter on the back side.) The seller says that the knife is brand new.Then where did this shine come from?
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

My guess it's from factory as they have to remove the burr after cutting the serrations.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Yep, deburring wheel polishing the back causes that.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

As the others say, sharpen 20° with the sharpmaker on the scallop side. Then lightly and as flat to the bevel as you can (1°), knock the burr off the flat side. If you have something like a strop block, strop with the corner (edge) of the leather.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Possibly disregard my statement based on your desire to sharpen to a "mirror shine" but better cutting may be had by stopping at 600 to 800 grit according to metallurgist Dr Larrin Thomas.

I think Larrin said at around 600 grit maximum cutting efficiency was achieved.

Somebody here may be able to pull up that document link from KNIFE STEEL NERDS.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
maddoc

Post by maddoc »

I agree about the "best cut" at 800 grit. due to the formation of an aggressive "micro saw" on the cutting edge. But the knife is more for aesthetics and appreciation in the collection on the shelf than a working tool.(for EDC, I use Military). By the way, how much grit is in the "heart" bar for sharpening TriAngle?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The ceramic rods don't really have a grit rating as such. As far as stock removal and scratch pattern go, I personally find the brown rods fall between a well broken-in DMT Coarse (blue) and a well broken-in DMT Fine (red) and the white rods a bit finer than DMT Extra Fine (green). I realize that may not help, but I really don't use my SharpMaker very much, and the DMTs I use all the time.