Golden Serrated Salts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjk

Golden Serrated Salts

Post by cjk »

For a lot if not most, there's both a plain edge and serrated version of each of the Seki Salts.

For the Native 5 Salts and for the Native Chief Salts, there are both PE and SE.

Will there be SE versions of the PM2, Para 3, or Manix 2 Salts?

Just wondering,
Christian
JoviAl

Re: Golden Serrated Salts

Post by JoviAl »

One can only hope - I’ve developed a real preference for SE on my shorter (less than 4 inch) knives. I would love an SE manix salt.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My focus here is less on "Salt", but specifically on "Manix LW" when it comes to SE.

I was really hoping that the Manix 2 LW Salt would finally give us a fully serrated ffg Manix (as far as I know there was only one fully serrated version so far, but in hollow grind and G10).

I never understood (not a complaint, just can´t see a reason) why there generally is no SE version of any Manix 2 LW.

So tbh: I don´t need that superhigh corrosion resistance, but would happily take a Manix 2 LW with teeth in any not TOO "hard" steel (BD1N would be perfectly fine) - but was just pretty positive that a Manix Salt would be the one that finally offered a serrated version, cause, as you say, "Salt" in a vast majority of cases just does mean that...

...and while I don´t NEED that high level of rustproofness, I would not exactly complain about it either, and a serrated Magnacuat Manix 2 LW would be absolutely amazing and an instant purchase for me without any doubt.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Not to mention CE salts. I know I’ll sound like a broken record in this regard, but the total absence of CE in the salt production lineup is both surprising and a little disappointing.
Of the Golden salts I think a Manix CE would be my preference, but ideally I’d also like to see backlock in the 3.5-4” range.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 2:55 am
Not to mention CE salts. I know I’ll sound like a broken record in this regard, but the total absence of CE in the salt production lineup is both surprising and a little disappointing.
Of the Golden salts I think a Manix CE would be my preference, but ideally I’d also like to see backlock in the 3.5-4” range.
Agreed, I would love a 3.5-4” CE backlock Salt 👊
cjk

Post by cjk »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 3:08 am
aicolainen wrote:
Agreed, I would love a 3.5-4” CE backlock Salt 👊
I agree that combo edge salts would be useful. I'd be particularly interested in the Native 5. 😁

I do wonder what's up with the Magnacut UKPK. The SE version has been on my "spreadsheet of wants" since its announcement well over a year ago. I hope it hasn't been cancelled. 🤞
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:

I am with you...my CE ffg Endura (thin red line) really made me appreciate comboedges again, as you probably know... a lighter version of it, so a CE Pac Salt, would be really nice...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

cjk wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 7:25 pm
I do wonder what's up with the Magnacut UKPK. The SE version has been on my "spreadsheet of wants" since its announcement well over a year ago. I hope it hasn't been cancelled. 🤞
I guess it's one of the models that we'll see after the expansion is completed. I bet they gave priority to get the Salts from the (Para-)Military line out ASAP.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

aicolainen wrote:
I actually strongly agree with this. I love my CE Never Summer/NFFF Native 5 lw with LC200N. Essentially the first Native 5 salt knife, and in Combo Edge! Such a good knife, I hope they do more CE salts.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

Native chief lw is dang close to a golden salt without a actually being a salt. Bd1n has excellent corrosion resistance and when it’s also dlc coated it may as well be one for most people. I’m grabbing one of these dlc serrated versions
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like combo edges. I find them very useful and the best of both worlds, in many ways.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 9:17 am
I like combo edges. I find them very useful and the best of both worlds, in many ways.

Yep, for me my "comboedge journey" has been funny:
- Rather new to folders I thought comboedges just had to be "best of both worlds" without actually knowing much and just little experience.
- Then I moved completely away from CE, firstly to PE, later to full SE.
-These days I find comboedges, just like you, very useful again. Mostly thanks to my thin red line Endura...(and I'd like to take the opportunity and encourage everyone once more to get one of the "thin line" models (all ffg comboedge) as long as they still can be found!)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Seems like I derailed this thread to become a CE appreciation thread. Though it wasn't my intention, I'm very happy to see so many of you sharing my appreciation. I hope Sal and co takes notice :smiling-cheeks

In contrast to Wartstein it took quite a while before I dared to dip my toes in the murky CE water. A consensus of internet experts had me convinced that CE was a totally wasted concept. "Too little of each edge type to get any real use of either".
I think it was one of those 30-day challenges over at multitool.org that finally made realize I had to take on this challenge and find out for myself. And it kind of changed everything. This forum had already made me embrace SE, and while very good at some tasks, I slowly developed a more lukewarm relationship to my SE knives. They just weren't as versatile as PE to me (personal opinion, I know some here think otherwise and that's fine). With CE it became apparent that the only thing missing to really take full advantage of a serrated edge was a longer section of PE in the front.
My only CE knives is a Thin line Endura and a Thin line Endela, and I really like them. It's very sad to see these FFG CE alternatives being disco'd, but salt's and linerless LW's are close to my heart, so if we eventually see a FFG CE Salt come to light, that would make up for the loss of the Thin lines, and maybe then some.
cjk

Post by cjk »

aicolainen wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 11:26 am
Seems like I derailed this thread to become a CE appreciation thread. Though it wasn't my intention, I'm very happy to see so many of you sharing my appreciation. I hope Sal and co takes notice :smiling-cheeks

In contrast to Wartstein it took quite a while before I dared to dip my toes in the murky CE water. A consensus of internet experts had me convinced that CE was a totally wasted concept. "Too little of each edge type to get any real use of either".
I think it was one of those 30-day challenges over at multitool.org that finally made realize I had to take on this challenge and find out for myself. And it kind of changed everything. This forum had already made me embrace SE, and while very good at some tasks, I slowly developed a more lukewarm relationship to my SE knives. They just weren't as versatile as PE to me (personal opinion, I know some here think otherwise and that's fine). With CE it became apparent that the only thing missing to really take full advantage of a serrated edge was a longer section of PE in the front.
My only CE knives is a Thin line Endura and a Thin line Endela, and I really like them. It's very sad to see these FFG CE alternatives being disco'd, but salt's and linerless LW's are close to my heart, so if we eventually see a FFG CE Salt come to light, that would make up for the loss of the Thin lines, and maybe then some.
I used to think that CE was just weird.
This forum turned me into a big fan of SE.
Being a big fan of SE made me turn around and appreciate CE.

I've been carrying a PE knife (usually a customized Native 5, Delica, Endela, or my Cruwear Stretch 2 XL) and a (usually) smaller SE knife for some time now. Most often, the smaller SE knife is a lil Native, though I've been playing with a H2 Salt SE Dragonfly lately. I use the smaller SE knife 3x as much as I use the PE one. Recently, I've acquired a couple CE knives (Native 5 and a Delica) and I've realized I could surely get along with just one of those. But what fun would that be?

I would really like to see some CE salts, particularly the Native 5 Magnacut Salt and Native Chief Magnacut Salt.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Benchmade made a believer out of me with combination edges. If given a choice, I will always get a CE if the knife I want comes with it. I also hate that the Thin Line knives are going away. I didn't buy one because the money value tanked. I will at some point. Of course, a Manix 2 LW with a combo edge would be my preferred choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kobold

Post by kobold »

Salt or no salt, I would still buy a SE liner lock Millie.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10