Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by ZrowsN1s »

hplovecrafter wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:25 am
hello everyone. I'm brand new to Spyderco and to the forum, and I just purchased a Military 2 in Crucarta. I want to put a black pocket clip on it, and I'm not doing well with the "Search" function on the forum so I apologize if this is in the wrong spot....but can anyone tell me which pocket clips will be compatible with the M2?
I got my first Military 2 (satin/S30V) three days ago and LOVE IT but I just don't like shiny pocket clips..so if anyone can tell me if the PM2 clips fit it or any others I'd really appreciate it. many thanks
Yep, the PM2 and Para 3 Clips will fit the Military2. LynchNW, Ripps Garage Tech, and a few others make aftermarket clips as well. If you order aftermarket, just make sure you're getting clips for Military 2 not Military(1). They are different.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
hplovecrafter

Post by hplovecrafter »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:57 am
Dear hplovecrafter:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Yes, the Para Military 2 clip is the same as the one used on the Military 2.

Stay safe,

Mike
thanks! I'm getting your YoJumbo soon, too. appreciate the welcome, and the help

EDITED TO ADD: also many thanks to Matt on the clip recommendations
Last edited by hplovecrafter on Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
marrenmiller

Post by marrenmiller »

I don't post much here (usually on Reddit/BF), but I figured I would share my experience with the latest drop as this thread is more active.

I got my Crucarta Military 2 in on Saturday, and it was a little rough out of the box. The lock bar is noticeably more stiff than on any PM2 I own or have owned before, the centering was very off towards the show side scale, one of the clip screws was stripped and free spinning, and the action was not smooth. The electrical fire smell is also a bit odd and is not something I've experienced before, having owned a Crucarta Shaman.

I took it apart and found the same laser cutting remnant/burr on the pivot hole as noted earlier. It popped off after I hit it with a diamond file. I have adjusted the action the best I can and loctited the screws down, but the pivot tightness keeps loosening as I break the knife in so I'll probably need to redo this again. I cannot fix the centering with the usual body screws/paper wedge trick, as the blade will wander back in a short time.

The pocket clip screws/threads are perplexing, as the threading on one of the pocket clips screws was totally wrecked out of the box (popped out when I went to change the clip to tip-up, as it wasn't held in by anything other than friction, and the threads are just completely gone). Even with the other two clip screws, neither want to go cleanly into the threaded holes in the liners, and none of the screws seem quite long enough to make it to the inner liner surface. I've never seen these issues before with a Spyderco. Eventually I subbed in a clip screw from a Manix 2, so now I've got a T8 along with two T6s holding my clip on.

Not off to a great start, but I'm hoping I can eventually get it into a better state. I'm kinda irked with myself for messing with it when I should have just returned it for a replacement.
ErikLee

Post by ErikLee »

I just ordered a Crucarta PM2 and can't wait to get it in my pocket where it belongs.

I want to get some aftermarket scales for the thing to make it my own, but as the liners are different than all other PM2s, I'm wondering if anyone has some links to stores that sell aftermarket scales for this unit and are located in Europe, I would be all ears.
BLADE_OCD

Post by BLADE_OCD »

Good evening, gents,
While I don't post here often, I recently stumbled upon an incredible knife—the MILITARY 2 BLACK G-10 BLACK BLADE C36GBK2—that I believe deserves more attention. Today, I received this knife, and it truly is a remarkable work of art. This marks my fifth Spyderco acquisition in just four months, and it might be my last.

If you're hesitant about purchasing this knife and happen to come across this post, I urge you to give it a try. Despite its similarities to the Para Military 2, it's not significantly larger and the ergonomics are amazing. Personally, I prefer it over my CRUCARTA Para Military 2, although the PM2 did feel noticeably sharper out of the box. This thing is awesome. Please give it a try if you can. Thanks.
ErikLee

Post by ErikLee »

BLADE_OCD wrote:
Fri May 03, 2024 4:19 pm
Good evening, gents,
While I don't post here often, I recently stumbled upon an incredible knife—the MILITARY 2 BLACK G-10 BLACK BLADE C36GBK2—that I believe deserves more attention. Today, I received this knife, and it truly is a remarkable work of art. This marks my fifth Spyderco acquisition in just four months, and it might be my last.

If you're hesitant about purchasing this knife and happen to come across this post, I urge you to give it a try. Despite its similarities to the Para Military 2, it's not significantly larger and the ergonomics are amazing. Personally, I prefer it over my CRUCARTA Para Military 2, although the PM2 did feel noticeably sharper out of the box. This thing is awesome. Please give it a try if you can. Thanks.
I heard some rumors that the Military 2 will get the same Salt treatment as the PM2 has had, Magnacut, G10 and black DLC. Also Eric mentioned at a recent blade show that they are optimizing the DLC process, which should be in production by the end of the year. I expect the new Military 2 will come in that full blacked out version, which is the knife I will be waiting for myself.

Magnacut being better in almost every aspect as S30V, except, perhaps, for edge retention.