Upcoming P.I.T.S. 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: Upcoming P.I.T.S. 2

Post by Bemo »

Thanks for the pics! I needed something to indicate the scale, so this was extremely helpful. And it will be a must have for me.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:45 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:19 pm
Huh, first I’m noticing the flat angle in the Spydie-hole. Kinda weird
It’s a prototype. As Mike says, even the tip of the blade is liable to be rounded a bit.
Thank you for Clarifying
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Bumping this thread in the hopes of an update and ETA. Of all the knives listed as upcoming in the 2024 Lists thread, this is the one that I’m most excited for. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

My interest has waned not one bit.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

I’m very satisfied with the Spits m390 so have passed on the opportunity to acquire an Alien on a couple of times, now.

The general consensus is that it’s a slightly lighter action than the Pits, smaller and more pocketable, but that has been people comparing it to the non Spyderco version.
Synov

Post by Synov »

The original PITS is one of my favorite Spyderco knives. The new one doesn't do much for me aesthetically, but it's still interesting.

Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti 4V: Manix 2 Marble CF Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
Synov

Post by Synov »

And I just found this video of Mike Read's prototype which looks very similar:

Visualizing the Tradeoff of Higher Hardness
S90V: Manix XL CF Yojumbo CF Shaman CF Native 5 Fluted CF CPM-154/S90V: Manix 2 Magnacut: Native 5 Fluted Ti 4V: Manix 2 Marble CF Damasteel: Native 5 40th Anniversary ZDP-189: Dragonfly 2 Nishijin N690Co: PITS XHP: Chaparral Birdseye Maple
Flash

Post by Flash »

The price of £400 ($500) was the main thing that put me off buying a Mike Read Alien.

Also I strongly doubt whether the ergos will be as good for me as the PITS mk5 was, and the lighter action and the blade shape is not what I particularly like.

The £300 PITS mk5 was a great knife that I now regret selling but the Alien is a long, long way off the mark for me.

I hope he ditches this design and makes the MK6 PITS a bit more like the MK4.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Thanks for the pics and comments about the Alien. I didn’t really bump this thread for folks to mention their displeasure about the custom versions or their prices (which are high because he makes his customs in batches of 50 or so), but rather when the Spyderco version will be released. I’m assuming the price point of the production version will be lower and I for one am looking forward to it. Whether it’s superior to the PITS or not is not something anyone can comment on yet, especially since the production version will not be identical to the Alien. The PITS is a superb knife and IMHO the best thing to come out of the Maniago factory, I’m excited to see what this sibling has to offer given the mechanics of it.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King