CBBL vertical blade-play/lock-rock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennbr34

CBBL vertical blade-play/lock-rock

Post by kennbr34 »

I've got a Manix 2, one of the 15V BBB sprint runs. I noticed that it has some vertical blade-play/lock-rock, and I can't figure out why. I have thoroughly cleaned it out and everything, but it doesn't seem to go away.

I noticed that if I press the cage forward, it tightens up, so that's what made me think it was an issue of grime or debris. It doesn't seem to matter how hard I open the blade too.

Wondering if perhaps it just needs to break in? I mean, I have had it a while now so I kinda doubt it, but yeah it kinda bugs me a little and trying to figure out what the cause is. Not a big deal, but yeah, obsessive issues.
RustyIron

Re: CBBL vertical blade-play/lock-rock

Post by RustyIron »

Did you try slopping some lube in there?
There isn't much to go wrong with that lock. Maybe the cage is dragging on the scale before the ball is completely jammed into the gap.
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

kennbr34 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:41 am
I've got a Manix 2, one of the 15V BBB sprint runs. I noticed that it has some vertical blade-play/lock-rock, and I can't figure out why. I have thoroughly cleaned it out and everything, but it doesn't seem to go away.

I noticed that if I press the cage forward, it tightens up, so that's what made me think it was an issue of grime or debris. It doesn't seem to matter how hard I open the blade too.

Wondering if perhaps it just needs to break in? I mean, I have had it a while now so I kinda doubt it, but yeah it kinda bugs me a little and trying to figure out what the cause is. Not a big deal, but yeah, obsessive issues.

Hello kennbr34,

I first have to wonder, when you say: "I have thoroughly cleaned it out and everything". How did you do that?

Rinse it out with water?
Blow it out with compressed air?
Took it apart?

You also mention that: "I have had it a while now", but you didn't mention if the issue has always been there?
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:40 am
Did you try slopping some lube in there?
There isn't much to go wrong with that lock. Maybe the cage is dragging on the scale before the ball is completely jammed into the gap.
Yeah it's pretty well oiled up. The back of the tang the ball travels on, as well as in the cage where the ball rolls, and the spring guide. I didn't think to oil or check the scales where the cage rides. I'll check that.
SteveMidwest wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:18 am
kennbr34 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:41 am

Hello kennbr34,

I first have to wonder, when you say: "I have thoroughly cleaned it out and everything". How did you do that?

Rinse it out with water?
Blow it out with compressed air?
Took it apart?

You also mention that: "I have had it a while now", but you didn't mention if the issue has always been there?
I never noticed it in the beginning, but I only recently disassembled it to clean it out, and noticed it when I checked the fit upon reassembly.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since you already disassembled it once, I would do it again and work on the 4 body screws that hold the lock. I noticed that if I don't do it in the same sequence everytime, there's sometimes a bit of movement of the parts when I squeeze everything down and in my experience in can induce some lockstick.

Maybe it can induce lock rock ? Another possibility is that 15V being pretty hard, it wore the ball substantially ? But My bet is that you would've noticed that during the disassembly.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Just playing devil’s advocate here but when you put the CBBL back together did you check the ball is fully exposed where it interacts with the lock surface? I put a manix XL back together in a rush a while back and accidentally put the cage in upside down. It still opened and closed but caused this exact problem.

Good luck getting it sorted whatever the problem 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I’m going with upside down cage.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

⬆️ What those guys said.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

^ I hope you guys are right, an upside down cage would be a relatively easy fix. Something is keeping the ball from seating all the way in. I would also look for a burr along the surfaces that the ball contacts during lockup.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Well, I tried flipping the cage the other way, and it wouldn't open or close right with it in that configuration. Could kind of wiggle the cage around to get it open, but then looking inside of the knife it looked like the ball was about to fall out, so that definitely doesn't seem like the issue.

However, whatever WAS the issue seems to have been resolved because it's rock solid now.
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:56 pm
Since you already disassembled it once, I would do it again and work on the 4 body screws that hold the lock. I noticed that if I don't do it in the same sequence everytime, there's sometimes a bit of movement of the parts when I squeeze everything down and in my experience in can induce some lockstick.

Maybe it can induce lock rock ? Another possibility is that 15V being pretty hard, it wore the ball substantially ? But My bet is that you would've noticed that during the disassembly.
I'm wondering if this is the case. I paid close attention to tighten them down in a criss-cross pattern this time. I.e. upper-right, to lower left, bottom-right, to upper-left. Kinda like I was tightening the lugs on a car tire.

But the thing is I did the same criss-cross pattern last time, and it seemed solid for a bit but eventually the play snuck back in.

Also checked for any burrs as suggested and lubed up the liners where the cage slides too. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it comes back again, but it's good for now.