Chief vs Stretch XL for fishing knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Chief vs Stretch XL for fishing knife?

Post by Surfingringo »

So wanted to hear some input on this. I’ve been completely enamored with the Stretch XL since I first saw the prototype at the Blade show a few years ago. Wonderful design and IMHO a more refined design than any of the previous Stretches. I didn’t need any more VG10 in my life but i said from the beginning that I would buy one as soon as a Salt version was released. Well, between then and now, a LOT of new Salt options have materialized.

Last week when I finally found a Catcherman available I decided to order one but then started wondering if I wouldn’t rather have a Chief Salt. Here’s some of my thinking…

I feel like the Stretch XL wins for me in most design characteristics. The handle on the Stretch fits me like a glove and I love the blade shape. The more pronounced belly on the stretch would probably work better for me when I need to butterfly a small fish for bait or pull a fillet. My hang up, and where the Chief really pulls away is in the steel. Comparing Magnacut to H2 is kind of an unfair competition. H2 in pe is just a bit soft for the fishing work I do. The lower hardness of H2 tends to cause edge rolling and instant dulling when cutting through heavy scales and even small rib bones. Maganacut handles that same work with no issue.

So it really comes down to whether I would rather have my preferred design or my preferred steel. Normally I would go with steel but given how quickly pe H1 dulls in the specific work I’m using it for, I’m leaning towards the Chief. Probably the smart move would be to get both (I know, it’s a crazy idea that nobody on a knife forum would ever think to suggest) but get the Chief in pe and the Stretch XL in se. I still find SE H1/H2 to be a bit of a unicorn steel. SUPER tough steel with high hardness at the edge and excellent edge performance. Then maybe there will be an lc200n Stretch XL in the future.

So anyway, what are you guys’ thoughts? Specifically on the Stretch XL vs Chief as an outdoors/fishing knife, but also more generally on how you value design vs steel and which is more important to you.
Wartstein

Re: Chief vs Stretch XL for fishing knife?

Post by Wartstein »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:22 pm
So anyway, what are you guys’ thoughts? Specifically on the Stretch XL vs Chief as an outdoors/fishing knife, but also more generally on how you value design vs steel and which is more important to you.

Hey Lance,

I am not a fisherman, but what I use a general outdoors folder for, the Chief has an a bit too fine and fragile tip for me.
The Stretch XL in H2 and hollow sabre grind though should offer the perfect blend of pointy and robust when it comes to the tip.

/ And for me "design" is clearly more important than "steel", as long as it is a decent one (which for me are many, as long as they are not TOO hard and time consuming to sharpen).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

Either would be great. It’s all about how much tip you want, really…

The native chief has a super-pronounced tip…good for piercing if you do a lot of that as part of bait prep. The salt stretch kind of speaks for itself. It’s one of the greatest 4” knives ever conceived but in salt form.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Both. Or manbug : )
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
R100

Post by R100 »

Surfingringo wrote:
So wanted to hear some input on this. I’ve been completely enamored with the Stretch XL since I first saw the prototype at the Blade show a few years ago. Wonderful design and IMHO a more refined design than any of the previous Stretches. I didn’t need any more VG10 in my life but i said from the beginning that I would buy one as soon as a Salt version was released. Well, between then and now, a LOT of new Salt options have materialized.

Last week when I finally found a Catcherman available I decided to order one but then started wondering if I wouldn’t rather have a Chief Salt. Here’s some of my thinking…

I feel like the Stretch XL wins for me in most design characteristics. The handle on the Stretch fits me like a glove and I love the blade shape. The more pronounced belly on the stretch would probably work better for me when I need to butterfly a small fish for bait or pull a fillet. My hang up, and where the Chief really pulls away is in the steel. Comparing Magnacut to H2 is kind of an unfair competition. H2 in pe is just a bit soft for the fishing work I do. The lower hardness of H2 tends to cause edge rolling and instant dulling when cutting through heavy scales and even small rib bones. Maganacut handles that same work with no issue.

So it really comes down to whether I would rather have my preferred design or my preferred steel. Normally I would go with steel but given how quickly pe H1 dulls in the specific work I’m using it for, I’m leaning towards the Chief. Probably the smart move would be to get both (I know, it’s a crazy idea that nobody on a knife forum would ever think to suggest) but get the Chief in pe and the Stretch XL in se. I still find SE H1/H2 to be a bit of a unicorn steel. SUPER tough steel with high hardness at the edge and excellent edge performance. Then maybe there will be an lc200n Stretch XL in the future.

Hey Lance, good to see you posting after a hiatus. I have been having this exact quandary with these 2 knives. I much prefer the ergonomics and particularly the blade shape of the Stretch XL but I wish there was a PE Salt option other than H2. In my use H2 mostly holds up well with a coarse edge but then when I hit something a bit harder I get major edge rolls. I was initially only going to get the SE Stretch XL but it is just so good that I had to buy the PE too and it gets a lot of carry.

I have a Chief LW in DLC on the way from the tax day sales and I will give that a try. I have owned a G10 Chief since they were released and while it has its strengths it is just too pointy and tip biased to make a good outdoors type knife. There is a knife I own though that is far superior to the Chief and is one of my favourites. I think it would suit your uses perfectly - the Siren. :squinting-tongue

Fantastic knife and a great contribution to the Spyderco family - thanks.

Dan
TroutCreek

Post by TroutCreek »

+1 for Siren. My favorite outdoors folder by far. Great design by Lance and such a good user. Magnacut + new yellow/black pm2 scales Siren sprint would be an instabuy.
Last edited by TroutCreek on Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I'd be in for a Siren XL.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

R100 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:03 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
... I have owned a G10 Chief since they were released and while it has its strengths it is just too pointy and tip biased to make a good outdoors type knife. There is a knife I own though that is far superior to the Chief and is one of my favourites. I think it would suit your uses perfectly - the Siren. :squinting-tongue

Agreed on both.

As said: The Chief is great if one needs and wants that superfine tip and of course excels at fine tip work!
But for a do-it-all a bit more robust outdoor folder I´d not take a Chief with me, or at least not as my only knife (especially in "harder" tasks where one also has to work fast and so can´t really take care of the tip).

I have to say though: The Stretch XL in ffg (so my VG10 variant) has a very fine tip too, but the hollow sabre grind of the H2 with presumably almost no tapering going on on the spine should make for a more robust tip.

/ And yes, the Siren.... I wish they would not have disco´ed it, but gone the other way and give it an FRN version (and a boye dent (without one in my use the blade could become slightly loose and "rattly" in a tight hammer grip), but that can be done by oneself easily of course).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

To start with your last question first, do I value ergonomics or steel more? I want to say yes to both, but my reality has usually been that I prioritize steel over ergonomics if I have to pick one over the other. Sal’s comment (somewhere) about the handle being there to support the blade, which is there to support the edge, makes a lot of sense to me. If the blade won’t do what we need it to then the rest of the knife isn’t very helpful. But at the same time, how our hands interact with our tools has a big impact on how we work.

As much as it pains me to say it, ergonomics can be fudged easier than edge choices. Steel first, then knife.

Of course the more we talk here about how much we want a Magnacut Stretch 2 XL, a Magnacut Siren XL, or a lightweight backlock Caribbean, the less we may have to compromise those tradeoffs. I hope that when Magnacut makes it over to Seki we’ll see a Magnacut Stretch 2 XL pretty quickly.

Kudos on the Siren, too. Even if the market doesn’t support it right now enough to keep it in full production it’s a fantastic design. I hope we see some sprint runs in the future.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Stretch would be my choice.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Keep giving your vg10 S2XL all the love you want, and get the Chief in MC to test side by side. I've tried to love H1 and sharpening during use got old quick.
arty

Post by arty »

I have used the original Stretch for surf fishing. It works fine for cutting bait, cutting line, etc. VG10 is good as long as the heat treatment is spot on, and I haven’t had a rust problem after constant soaking. I just make sure to rinse it off in fresh water as soon as feasible.
I find that it is especially important to have a handle on the knife that has a good grip. Cleaning fish is sloppy and slippery, and it is no fun to have a knife slip out of your hand because it is covered in blood and guts. The handle needs to fit your hand and should be large enough for you to get a good grip. It doesn’t necessarily need to be rubber (I do like the Fallkniven F2), but does need to be large enough for you to get a good purchase on the knife.
slimflexy

Post by slimflexy »

I just created an account just to say +1 for the Stretch 2 XL Salt in Magnacut. I hope that they come out with it some day because it’s my dream knife for when I’m out surf fishing.
My knives: Smock (20cv), Para 3 (s35vn), Native 5 (s110v), SpydieChef (LC200N), Mule Team (SPY27), BRS Alt Alpha Beast 3.0
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear slimflexy:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I feel your pain Lance... I have similar preferences. Magnacut is attractive because of its high hardness, strength and corrosion resistance.

"Both" is probably the only reasonable answer.

Edit to add: Ignoring the excellent ergos of the Stretch for a moment, I also love the negative blade angle. This is one of the reasons why I also like the Military so much. I miss that when I carry the Native Chief.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
slimflexy

Post by slimflexy »

Michael Janich wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:27 am
Dear slimflexy:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you Mike
My knives: Smock (20cv), Para 3 (s35vn), Native 5 (s110v), SpydieChef (LC200N), Mule Team (SPY27), BRS Alt Alpha Beast 3.0
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Calypso.
:bug-red-white
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I'd second what a few others have said re wanting to see MagnaCut in Seki salts. I cannot see the point of PE H2 when there are two corrosion resistant and much better edge-holding steels available, at least one of which is already available for use by Seki. I don't really understand the delay given so many other manufacturers are deploying MagnaCut across their ranges.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Lc200n wasnt available on Seki knives at first. So maybe the same will happen with magnacut.

I prefer my Seki spyderco salt folders with teeth so Im perfectly happy with h1/h2/lc200n and saving some money.

But I would love a magnacut filet knife.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Same. I love SE H1/2.