Sharpening a double edged blade point

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Sharpening a double edged blade point

Post by Jim Malone »

Hello forumites, i would like to sharpen my double edged clinch pick on the sharpmaker. It fell out of the sheath while changing clothes. It fell on it´s tip and a tiny part chipped off. I would like to sharpen it on the sharpmaker but tips aren´t my specialty.
It´s also a curved blade with a thick double edge angle ( i don´t have a way to calculate edge).
Any tips what stone to use ? It´s VG10. And technique? Slicing cheese? Or lay the stones flat?
Thx
Danke

Re: Sharpening a double edged blade point

Post by Danke »

When I ding a tip I use the grooved side of the stones to get it flat and then just sharpen like normal to finish.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I would not repair the tip with sharpmaker stones, I would get a regular coarse bench stone and grind the outer (convex) edge back until the chip is gone and the inner (concave) edge meets it at a new tip. Then sharpen as usual.

The sharpmaker stones are great for getting into tight spots like serrations or concave edges, but they don't have a lot of surface area which makes them inefficient for removing a lot of material like you need to in this case.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

If sharpmaker is all you have start with fine stones. Mark the edge with sharpie. And slicing cheese style without much slicing. Just try to go straight up and down (a little back and forth) just on the damaged area near the tip. And look at exactly where you are removing material. Adjust as necessary and repeat. Check it often. One you have the damage fixed satisfactorily, sharpen the rest and try not to hit the tip too much.

I tend to sharpen heels and tips first then blend the middle to them in general. Because the heel and tip take the most precision and attention. The middle you can be quick with.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Thx for the tips.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Jim Malone wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:50 am
Thx for the tips.
I should add to what I said above, start with the fine stone to know for sure where you are removing metal. Once you're comfortable where you are doing so, switch to the coarser stones to speed up the process.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal