Should I buy a Sage 5 lw or Paramilitary 2 as my first Spyderco?

A place to list and reference all Spyderco counterfeits, clones, and replicas that are found. Anything that isn't a legitimate Spyderco fits in this area.
ImperialStarDestroyer

Should I buy a Sage 5 lw or Paramilitary 2 as my first Spyderco?

Post by ImperialStarDestroyer »

I am looking to buy a Spyderco, and I like the Sage 5 lw and the Paramilitary 2 the most. Which one do you think is better in terms of ergonomics, carry ability etc? I can only choose one of these two.
Wartstein

Re: Should I buy a Sage 5 lw or Paramilitary 2 as my first Spyderco?

Post by Wartstein »

ImperialStarDestroyer wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:10 pm
I am looking to buy a Spyderco, and I like the Sage 5 lw and the Paramilitary 2 the most. Which one do you think is better in terms of ergonomics, carry ability etc? I can only choose one of these two.

Welcome!

You should better post this question in the "General Discussion" forum, not here in the Conterfeit Subforum.

Briefly on your question: Out of the two I personally would go with the PM2 as first (?) and only (?) Spyderco.. but mainly just because I find its larger size and longer blade more versatile.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

As long as it is not a counterfeit, you will be happy with either. 😂

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Gernot that the PM2 would be more versatile and give you a bit more blade. However, I personally really like the Sage series. It is extremely well finished, smooth to operate and disappears in your hand. Right now, it is one of my most carried. Kinda my go to office knife, but it is fully capable of much more. The Sage is just extremely well executed and just my opinion, one of Spyderco's best EDC knives.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

They're both fine knives and you really can't go wrong with either. As far as which one to buy, only you can know which one will be better for you. If I had to pick one for general EDC it would be the Sage 5
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

@ImperialStarDestroyer , I really think it comes down to which size you prefer:
Blade in the 3" (Sage) or the 3.5" range (PM2), and then of course with the related different handle sizes/lengthes (and overall package sizes in pocket).

No one can really "help" you here, very subjective matter: As you see, Sharp guy prefers 3" for general EDC, I find longer blades more versatile, no right or wrong here, just personal preferences.

I begin to wonder though if you maybe meant "Sage 5 vs Para 3" (and not PM2) anyway - ?
Having to choose there, I personally would go Sage.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)