The Days of the Milkman May Be Numbered!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Naperville

The Days of the Milkman May Be Numbered!

Post by Naperville »

We were buying our 2% milk in gallon plastic containers but after reading about microplastics looked for a way out.

We currently get home delivery of milk in glass bottles from Oberweis Dairy every Wednesday morning at around 4AM. We signed up for the delivery less than 2 months ago as we were trying to reduce microplastics in our diet.

This morning I found out that they are ceasing operations. Layoffs for the 5 state region begin June 1st. They are not that much in the red but it is already a premium service and they cannot raise prices. They are in a jam, and had a buyer but they pulled out in March. Smaller firms want parts of their operation but so far nobody wants the entire operation.

Do you buy milk in glass containers? I live in Naperville, Illinois and at the moment cannot find a replacement service.

This may be a dying industry and inflation pushed them over the edge.

:disappointed
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Scandi Grind

Re: The Days of the Milkman May Be Numbered!

Post by Scandi Grind »

That's a bummer, but I can't say I'm surprised, I didn't even know anyone still delivered milk in recent time. Unfortunately once this service goes away there is little chance of it's return. I think I'm way too old school for a young adult living in these times, most modern developments do not appeal to me.

:neutral
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:32 am
We were buying our 2% milk in gallon plastic containers but after reading about microplastics looked for a way out.

We currently get home delivery of milk in glass bottles from Oberweis Dairy every Wednesday morning at around 4AM. We signed up for the delivery less than 2 months ago as we were trying to reduce microplastics in our diet.

This morning I found out that they are ceasing operations. Layoffs for the 5 state region begin June 1st. They are not that much in the red but it is already a premium service and they cannot raise prices. They are in a jam, and had a buyer but they pulled out in March. Smaller firms want parts of their operation but so far nobody wants the entire operation.

Do you buy milk in glass containers? I live in Naperville, Illinois and at the moment cannot find a replacement service.

This may be a dying industry and inflation pushed them over the edge.

:disappointed

Local Grocery Stores may have milk in glass.

Just have to check around.

Also and or Paper Cartons.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Is paper better, or do they usually coat those in plastic anyway? I don't know exactly what they coat paper in to make it able to hold liquid.

-- Old Norse proverb
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:33 pm
Is paper better, or do they usually coat those in plastic anyway? I don't know exactly what they coat paper in to make it able to hold liquid.
All of the coatings and toxins are bad news.

Now they are saying that a lot of the fish we eat has PFAS in them. PFAS are manmade poisons!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Yeah, unfortunately fish absorb many of the toxins that we have leaked into the ocean, so many fish that used to be perfectly good for you are no longer very healthy to eat.

-- Old Norse proverb
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Scandi Grind wrote:

Plastic coatings on the paper cartons.

Seriously though, most of the info about this plastic stuff is on known conspiracy theory and activist websites.

So take it all with a grain of salt. ;)

(Lots of aluminum foil hat wearers out there, everything is a conspiracy theory and they never met one they didn't like)
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm
Scandi Grind wrote:

Seriously though, most of the info about this plastic stuff is on known conspiracy theory and activist websites.

(Lots of aluminum foil hat wearers out there, everything is a conspiracy theory and they never met one they didn't like)
I wish it was a conspiracy, but it is not, it is in medical journals.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:19 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:00 pm
Scandi Grind wrote:

I wish it was a conspiracy, but it is not, it is in medical journals.

Based off 10 year old data. ;)

A lot of things have changed in the food industry in 10 years.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Ha ha, yeah, plastic is not good for you. I have a lot of health related knowledge that I have gained from my mom who has researched an abundance of topics in order to deal with her numerous health issues. I don't have a problem if people don't think such things are real, but I am more than comfortable with my ability to distinguish fiction made by fanatics from actual scientific research.

My mom researched a subject so well once that she apparently did the "impossible." The doctors told her that she had a dangerous tumor that definitely had to be removed surgically. By changing her diet she managed to cause it to shrink so dramatically that they admitted it wasn't a threat any more. They just couldn't seem to believe it. Then again, maybe they just didn't want to believe it, because they weren't getting paid a cent for her changing her eating habits...

So yeah, there is plenty conspiracy theory, but if you read much history it becomes quite apparent, there is no shortage of conspiracy either.

-- Old Norse proverb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Milk in paper cartons is better. However, I buy Fernleaf powdered milk. It tastes just like bottled milk and dissolves in cold water. It is a New Zealand product. I understand that the same brand in the UK isn't nearly as good because UK laws mandate using only UK cow milk. The NZ cow milk is much better and richer. The Fernleaf (I use full cream/whole milk) comes in an aluminum foil bag.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Since 2016, Conspiracy Theorists have been batting .800 or better.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:31 am

More like 0%. :eye-roll
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:05 am
Milk in paper cartons is better. However, I buy Fernleaf powdered milk. It tastes just like bottled milk and dissolves in cold water. It is a New Zealand product. I understand that the same brand in the UK isn't nearly as good because UK laws mandate using only UK cow milk. The NZ cow milk is much better and richer. The Fernleaf (I use full cream/whole milk) comes in an aluminum foil bag.
I'll add your statement to my notes, and see if I can pick some Fernleaf powdered milk up in May when I get another check.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 am
Naperville wrote:

Russia Russia Russia my friend! Are they in the room with you now? :squinting-tongue
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Naperville wrote:
Maybe the company is Fonterra in the US headquartered in Chicago. +1 888 869 MILK
I'm not sure. Over here it is Fernleaf and the full cream is as good as regular Meadow Gold whole milk in the USA.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 am
Naperville wrote:

0% huh. Friend, you won't be changing any minds here. I'd rather not see this thread devolve into a pointless back and forth though. Since you have already voiced your opinion, let's leave it at that.

-- Old Norse proverb
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Doc Dan wrote:
I haven’t seen it here, but U.K. import rules are all over the shop now.

Powdered milk still has the reputation of emergency food here, so not widely used. UHT treated long life milk is only slightly more popular. Very few milk deliveries take place still, either.

I have memories of curdled milk in summer and the creamy top of the milk being burgled by birds pecking through the foil caps. A few years ago I would have said I preferred the supermarket route, but nowadays I would pay more just to keep someone in a job.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:33 am
Doc Dan wrote:
I haven’t seen it here, but U.K. import rules are all over the shop now.

Powdered milk still has the reputation of emergency food here, so not widely used. UHT treated long life milk is only slightly more popular. Very few milk deliveries take place still, either.

I have memories of curdled milk in summer and the creamy top of the milk being burgled by birds pecking through the foil caps. A few years ago I would have said I preferred the supermarket route, but nowadays I would pay more just to keep someone in a job.
I think it is Anchor in the UK but the flavor is different because of sourcing the milk from the UK. That is what I understand.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I miss the days when the milk man would come by the house about 4:00 in the morning and drop off bottles of milk. Later it changed to paper cartons. Sometimes, I would wait up for him and buy chocolate milk from him or something else.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050