EDC Hygiene: Fixed Blade VS. Folder

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

EDC Hygiene: Fixed Blade VS. Folder

Post by Scandi Grind »

Who here EDCs a knife that they use for small food prep tasks when they are out and about? Where I used to live it was most practical to just use my Spyderco Endura folder when the need arose. I always edc an Esee Izula fixed blade as well, but it was always harder to pull out and had a shorter than preferable blade length. Where I have since moved to, nobody is intimidated by the visble presence of knives in public (as it should be) and I often go to Walmart with my TOPS Fieldcraft proudly hanging on my hip. My new residence affords me the option to carry longer fixed blades to handle food related tasks when I leave the house.

And that brings me to my actual question. What is more hygienic to use for an edc food prep knife, a fixed blade, or a folder? I have heard most fixed blade enthusiasts say that folders are less hygienic because they can get food stuck in the pivot, which seemed a fair enough argument to me at first. Then as I thought about it I wandered if the sheath becomes a bit of a hygiene concern. I don't carry around a knife just for food, it might get used for tape, cardboard, vines, wood, etc., then although I have probably wiped off the blade in any situation that gets it noticeably dirty, I then stick it back into the sheath without any legitimate sanitization. I may wash the blade next time I get the chance, but then what do I do, I put it back into the sheath that held the unwashed knife.

A folder on the other hand has the aforementioned pivot that can collect unwanted debris, but if you are careful it seems like you could avoid that being a major issue. Then when you fold it up after use, the blade fits between the scales without contacting them as far as I can tell. Once home, I can wash the blade and fold it back into the theoretically uncontaminated handle. Unless I'm wrong and the inside of the handle scales will get contaminated? Then there is also the fact that a folder gets put in your pocket, a potentially dirty, sometimes sweaty environment that sounds somewhat unappealing to retrieve a knife from then cut your food with.

My most assured solution to either knife type I suppose would be to sanitize the blade before ever using it on food, but that pretty much means bringing alcohol wipes with me everywhere. Maybe not a bad idea anyway. Even if that is the end solution, I am curious to hear the thoughts of anyone else, what do you think is more hygienic, a fixed blade or a folder?
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Fastidiotus

Re: EDC Hygiene: Fixed Blade VS. Folder

Post by Fastidiotus »

Honestly as someone with a below average immune system Im interested in this answer. I've always been left scratching my head when someone lists food prep as one of their factors for liking or carrying an edc knife design, especially a folder. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of having a knife in my pocket everyday cutting rope, twine, boxes, straps etc. Then giving it half a wipe on my pants and slicing up an apple. Genuinely would be the fear factor challenge I couldn't complete.

I've always wondered if the people that do this are the kind that will pump their gas, drive to a restaurant touch the door handle that everyone else has, finger up the menu everyone else touched, then touch their food without ever washing their hands. I'm not saying it's wrong if you do, I too would like to live life dangerously. I just can't see a pocket knife as an eating utensil.
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I use my salt knives for food prep all the time. I don’t use them on super dirty stuff daily anyway and I can always wash them in the sink when done.
I would wager that a fixed blade is better for food prep as it’s easier to clean than a folder.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:52 pm
Honestly as someone with a below average immune system Im interested in this answer. I've always been left scratching my head when someone lists food prep as one of their factors for liking or carrying an edc knife design, especially a folder. I just can't wrap my head around the idea of having a knife in my pocket everyday cutting rope, twine, boxes, straps etc. Then giving it half a wipe on my pants and slicing up an apple. Genuinely would be the fear factor challenge I couldn't complete.

I've always wondered if the people that do this are the kind that will pump their gas, drive to a restaurant touch the door handle that everyone else has, finger up the menu everyone else touched, then touch their food without ever washing their hands. I'm not saying it's wrong if you do, I too would like to live life dangerously. I just can't see a pocket knife as an eating utensil.
With all due respect, but I think with a normal, healthy immune system one can do all of the things you mention no problem. Better said: Actually this is part of what KEEPS the immune system normal, strong and healthy. It is meant to deal with such things, but also needs "training" (especially, but not only in kids age) to get and remain being able to

I don´t consider myself as being an "unhygienic" person (I normally shower at least twice a day for example cause I do a lot of physical activcity) - but with my folders I do exactly what you describe: Cut all kinds of things, then give the blade a wipe (not even that always), cut food and eat it.

Never, ever any problems whatsoever. I am actually very healthy - 54 years old now, and missed just two days of work due to illness in my whole life.
And can´t recall when I had the slightest gastrointestinal problems the last time, must be many years.

"Living dangerously" to me is living unnatural - and nature gave us an immune system to deal with such things, it only gets weaker if it is never challenged.

My 2 c.
For me completely true though based on my own experience
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Steveng

Post by Steveng »

Fastidiotus wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:52 pm

I assume you have no pets, never hug or kiss anyone, never swim in a pool, etc.
I wash my hands when they are dirty, or after contacting something that is quite likely to be poisonous or infectious. This does not include door knobs/handles, money, menus, books, or any innumerable items being contacted daily. I also use the 5-15 second rule when a food item hits the floor. And yes, I use my EDC knife to process food items, and might even eat directly off of it... :astonished
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Personally I use both fixed blades and folders for all kinds of things then rinse em’off , wipe em across my sleeve or pants leg and go about my day…never really think about it.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I really don’t understand how people run into “food prep” tasks outside of a kitchen so often that EDC knives need to touch food. Do you people lack teeth?
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I usually carry two knives - an SE and a PE knife (be they folders or fixed blades). There are two separate instances where I use knives (folders or fixed) outside of the home for food prep -

1) If I’m at work and doing food prep for students to cook or consume raw I use the PE one as a dedicated food knife. More often than not that’s a Magnacut mule in a kydex sheath, which I wash both parts of thoroughly after use in hot soapy water and scrub thoroughly. Cross contamination is no joke in the tropics, where I might be cutting back vines with toxic sap one minute then cutting open some fresh bananas off the plant to roast with a class of children. No chances taken where a child’s wellbeing is involved.

2) when I’m out hiking/running I will use my dragonfly SE (or whatever smaller knife I’m carrying) to cut open and eat wild fruits that are encased in a tough shell (Jackfruit, Rambutan, Durian, etc). This gets a thorough wash when I get home as it’s just part of how I look after my knives - wash, sharpen, lubricate and corrosion inhibitors applied 🤷🏼‍♂️

My only reservation is that I do not use sheathes made of leather (or any other permeable material) - firstly, because they moulder and rot in the environment I live in, which is neither use nor ornament to me, and secondly because they are permeable to bacteria and difficult to clean.

In summary, in my professional and personal experiences a thorough clean in hot soapy water of either a folder or a fixed blade with a kydex sheath is acceptable for food prep. Carry two knives and keep one specifically for food prep in a clean location about your person if you have personal reasons that require additional protections (such as a compromised immune system or serious allergies). For me I would opt for a small fixed blade in kydex for the task, as it is fully shielded from bacteria on your hands in its sheath until you open it. Also you can wipe it down with sanitiser and a dedicated bit of shop cloth before you re-sheath it. That’s good enough for my food handling and hygiene insurance at work (which is stringent about your processes).

Full disclosure though - when I’m out running I go full Gernot and just pull my sopping wet with sweat Dragonfly SE out of my shorts waistband, cut fruit open, eat it, rinse it with a bit of water from my squishy bottle (also slathered in my own sweat and jungle butter by this point as it resides in a thigh pocket in my shorts) so it’s not sticky and blob it back in my waistband (and repeat ad infinitum) and I’ve never been ill from doing so.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If we could see with unaided eyes the microscopic organisms in, on, and all around us, we would experience profound gratitude for our miraculous immune system. I often cut food with my EDC knife when out and about, but not if it’s unacceptably dirty.
Steveng

Post by Steveng »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:46 pm
I really don’t understand how people run into “food prep” tasks outside of a kitchen so often that EDC knives need to touch food. Do you people lack teeth?
It is not something I do daily, but it happens. Cutting/peeling fruit usually. I was in Puerto Peñasco a few days ago and the condo had very crappy knives, used my Endura to process a grouper. Point is that there is no aversion to using it that way...
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Huh, many of these answers surprise me, but I guess not everybody has suffered major health problems like most of my family has. I am what I would say is not unreasonably careful about what I touch before eating. At public restaurants I don't use my hands directly to touch much.

I have a premature sister who had majorly compromised immune system when she was born, meaning she could die from a routine sickness, which meant we had to be very careful for some years. When my mom finally let my sister play at an indoor playground for the first time she and my mom got sick with what is sometimes known as Mono, or Epstein Bar Virus. It is a virus that for some individuals can last for a very long time with symptoms similar to Lyme Disease. My mom has been sick with it for over 8 years, and unfortunately every adult in my family has contracted it over time, myself about 6 years ago.

None of us have yet recovered our health so getting sick can be quite an ordeal for any of us, it takes much longer for us to recover than somebody in good health. Even if I was in a better state though, I would have a hard time not being careful when literally one day deciding to let my sister play at an indoor playground led to my family dealing with what could be life long health issues. Some people have great immune systems, but sometimes by no fault of their own, others do not. It's hard to know which you have until something lame happens, so I don't mind taking simple precautions to help avoid contracting anything nasty.

-- Old Norse proverb
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:12 pm
Huh, many of these answers surprise me, but I guess not everybody has suffered major health problems like most of my family has. I am what I would say is not unreasonably careful about what I touch before eating. At public restaurants I don't use my hands directly to touch much.

I have a premature sister who had majorly compromised immune system when she was born, meaning she could die from a routine sickness, which meant we had to be very careful for some years. When my mom finally let my sister play at an indoor playground for the first time she and my mom got sick with what is sometimes known as Mono, or Epstein Bar Virus. It is a virus that for some individuals can last for a very long time with symptoms similar to Lyme Disease. My mom has been sick with it for over 8 years, and unfortunately every adult in my family has contracted it over time, myself about 6 years ago.

None of us have yet recovered our health so getting sick can be quite an ordeal for any of us, it takes much longer for us to recover than somebody in good health. Even if I was in a better state though, I would have a hard time not being careful when literally one day deciding to let my sister play at an indoor playground led to my family dealing with what could be life long health issues. Some people have great immune systems, but sometimes by no fault of their own, others do not. It's hard to know which you have until something lame happens, so I don't mind taking simple precautions to help avoid contracting anything nasty.
Wow, that is harrowing. I’m sorry you and your family have suffered so profoundly.
- Al

Dream knives -
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Thank you, it is quite a burden, but I have learned that you have to take life with it's challenges and not let yourself lose your appreciation for what is still great about living. If your not thankful even with such ailments, you will eventually lose your mind over it, which is a road I plan to avoid. We are also very blessed by the fact that we are able to help take care of each other and have the means to account for our needs despite the limitations we have acquired.

-- Old Norse proverb
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

A fixed blade with glued scales that are not porous/absorbent is probably the easiest to keep clean, assuming the sheath is also easily cleaned (kydex or other plastic that are washable without ruining the sheath). Stainless knives that are easily washed without issue are also good... I do like folders that are easily taken apart as you can take them down and clean everything if needed... for example a Sebenza can be completely disassembled and cleaned, and even comes with the tools to take it apart. Taking apart a folder often is probably not ideal, but if needed best to get one that makes the job less difficult.

Fixed blades with screw on handles are not great, gunk can get under the handles. Not too big a deal if the scales are easily removable, but I can tell you that if you butcher a deer or other animal with an ESEE 3 and don't take the scales off to clean everything it can get a bit gross under those scales after a while!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
270ultimate

Post by 270ultimate »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:46 pm
My closest example is at the Jimmy John’s I’ll frequent most often for lunch. If I’m lucky, they’ll cut my pickle in half. I’ll take it down to sixths or eighths.

I just don’t dig whole or half pickles. Spears, all the way. It’s worth the effort to me.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ve been musing a little more over this and the more I consider it the more I think a basic Mora with the loose fitting plastic sheath would probably be best suited to your needs. The plastic handle is moulded onto the blade and is a tight seal, the sheath covers not just the blade but most of the handle too, and it is designed for easy cleaning. Not the fanciest nor even a Spyderco, but for the task and your need for stringent hygiene controls I can’t conceive of something better suited (*if matched with a little bottle of sanitiser and a clean tissue).
- Al

Dream knives -
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Scandi Grind wrote:

Sorry for your lifelong situation, and I hope that there are better days ahead. I didn't have it as bad, but I could have.

I was unlucky in that I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. The aortic valve is supposed to be tricuspid. I tried to join the US Marine Corps in 86, they discovered it, and denied me entry. According to protocol from that day forward I took amoxicillin every time that I had a major cut, operation or dental work.

We were totally unaware of my condition for 25 years and it could have been a disaster.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:39 pm
I’ve been musing a little more over this and the more I consider it the more I think a basic Mora with the loose fitting plastic sheath would probably be best suited to your needs. The plastic handle is moulded onto the blade and is a tight seal, the sheath covers not just the blade but most of the handle too, and it is designed for easy cleaning. Not the fanciest nor even a Spyderco, but for the task and your need for stringent hygiene controls I can’t conceive of something better suited (*if matched with a little bottle of sanitiser and a clean tissue).
If one is or has to be really super-extremely concerned with hygiene, you have a point concerning the Mora construction!
Thing is though most Moras have a scandi grind - not the best for food prep imo (there is the Kansbol with at least a partly ffg).

And: Spyderco has knives with similarily constructed handles too, right? (Bill Moran, Aqua Salt, Fishhunter...)

Also: I think if food prep is a main task, one could also just go with a Spyderco kitchen knife with plastic handle, like the 4.5" utility knife, and come up with some sheeth solution - ?

Anway: I think that even for hyper- extremely cautios folks a fixed blade with screwed on handle slabs like the Enuff 2 should be sufficient - one could even unscrew the scales from time to time and sanitize the inside of the scales and the tang...

/ That said: As I pointed out in my earlier post, if there is no real already exisiting severe medical issue with the immune system, people should not be so worried. Our bodies where designed to deal with some "work", be it muscles, bones, cardiovascular- or immune system. Does not make one stronger to never "train" any of these.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Skar

Post by Skar »

I don’t know what the right answer for you would be.

I don’t like carrying a fixed blade, it’s uncomfortable ime. I exclusively carry a folder and I often use it for food. I generally keep it clean and really I don’t worry about it much. I also have not up to this point experienced any “gunk” in the pivot.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Scandi Grind wrote:

Sorry for you and your family to hear that!

Of course I understand that in that particular circumstances a stricter hygiene protocoll makes sense.
Just like if one KNOWS they have unusually fragile bones or whatever from a medical condition they have to be more careful with training and doing physical activity.

I am still convinced (can´t prove it of course) that my really strong immune system partly exactly comes from getting in contact with bacteria and whatever and having to learn to deal with that right from the start of my life.

/ In any case: All the best to you and your family!!