VG10 HRC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Drubieg

Re: VG10 HRC

Post by Drubieg »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:34 pm

Funny (or rather weird) to me for example is when ergos got judged as good or bad by just lightly holding a new knife in hand and not actually using it and see how it feels then...
It's crazy when those people claim they can feel a "hot spot" on a knife they never used. The definition of that term is a spot that gets rubbed raw after using the tool for a period of time. Yet they grab a knife and immediately exclaim that they feel hot spots! :eye-roll
Cus they have soft hands
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I had a girlfriend tell me "It's not fair that your hands can be that soft. I know what you do for a living." And yes, if I pick up a knife or other tool and immediately feel sharp spots digging into my hands, I have enough experience to know what those spots are going to do when I start using that tool. I gave away my GB1 and ground the jimping off the handle of my CF/S90V Manix2 when each of them proved my initial assessment correct. I don't have to smash my thumb with a hammer to know it's going to hurt.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Generous giveaway of a GB1, someone is lucky.
As far as VG-10, I love it, still and always. It is plenty hard, stainless, and does everything well, even better in SE.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:26 am
I had a girlfriend tell me "It's not fair that your hands can be that soft. I know what you do for a living." And yes, if I pick up a knife or other tool and immediately feel sharp spots digging into my hands, I have enough experience to know what those spots are going to do when I start using that tool. I gave away my GB1 and ground the jimping off the handle of my CF/S90V Manix2 when each of them proved my initial assessment correct. I don't have to smash my thumb with a hammer to know it's going to hurt.

I hear you, but that´s not what I was trying to point out.
Rather the opposite:
When Youtube- "reviewers" just lightly hold a knife in hand for the frist time and think they can tell that the ergos are GREAT - without even really using the knife.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'll take your word for it. I've never watched a YouTube knife review. I prefer to form my own opinions
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

I have a vg-10 Endura and quite like the steel. Very easy to work with and no issues with edge retention, but that's coming from a guy who thinks 80crV2 has more than enough edge retention. :smirk I have a kitchen knife in 80crV2 that holds an edge for quite a bit, granted it is very thin bte and at 62rc. so that helps. Still I like having ease of sharpening far more than high edge retention.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:19 pm
I'll take your word for it. I've never watched a YouTube knife review. I prefer to form my own opinions
Same here, obviously. ;)

Occasionally watching Youtube knife "reviews" (mostly not "reviews" to me anyway as I tried to explain) of course has nothing to do with not "forming an own opinion" (at least in my case).

In an area where there are practically no brick and mortar stores that carry Spydercos it is a way to actually see a knife in the hand of a person and from various angles, that's all.

A person that is kept from being able to form their own opinion just from sometimes watching youtube first impressions or just adopts what often uninformed stuff is said there must be a rather weak character.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Even though I've been really intrigued by a couple of the newer Supersteel blades in the Spyderco line up I've always kept quite a few Spyderco VG-10 models in my user arsenal. VG-10 is a great dependable "Hard Use" blade steel that is relatively easy to maintain. You can get a really nice edge with VG-10 if you take the proper steps.

I truly hope that VG-10 is around for some time to come. If Spyderco ever does change to a different blade steel in it's Japanese models I will sure be curious as to which blade steel could possibly dethrone it. I will never turn down any hard use model with VG-10 blade steel if I like the blade design.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

Deleted
Last edited by Jesla on Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

If Spyderco ever does change to a different blade steel in it's Japanese models I will sure be curious as to which blade steel could possibly dethrone it.
SPY27…. it’s coming
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

Jesla wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 am
If Spyderco ever does change to a different blade steel in it's Japanese models I will sure be curious as to which blade steel could possibly dethrone it.
SPY27…. it’s coming
Is that confirmed? Would be sweet!

My guess would rather be something like Takefu SG2 - same foundry, locally sourced, already established supply
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

horzuff wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 am
Jesla wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:11 am
SPY27…. it’s coming
Is that confirmed? Would be sweet!

My guess would rather be something like Takefu SG2 - same foundry, locally sourced, already established supply
Sal mentioned SPY27 coming to some models, but my guess it would be for sprints or maybe a special production run similar to the Stretch XL with Cruwear. I doubt VG-10 would be replaced. Though SG2 would be a good alternative. At least on paper.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

That's what I recall - mention of it being used for special editions but not a replacement base steel
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Having enough wear resistance to complete a full day of work/chores to me is the most important feature. I find it ironic that the muffin man behind the camera often promotes vg10 in a negative manner. I think spydercos vg10 pairs very well with the sharpmaker too.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 am
Having enough wear resistance to complete a full day of work/chores to me is the most important feature. I find it ironic that the muffin man behind the camera often promotes vg10 in a negative manner. I think spydercos vg10 pairs very well with the sharpmaker too.
You thought he was a man, but he was a muffin; and hung around until you found that he didn't know nothin.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:41 am
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 am
You thought he was a man, but he was a muffin; and hung around until you found that he didn't know nothin.

"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
RugerNurse

Post by RugerNurse »

I should pick up a VG10 Endura. Seems like it would pair well with my Swiss Army knife. Both lightweight but useful for different tasks
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

VG-10 is the Rodney Dangerfield of cutlery steels. It doesn’t receive proper respect for its many sterling qualities.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

RugerNurse wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 pm
I should pick up a VG10 Endura. Seems like it would pair well with my Swiss Army knife. Both lightweight but useful for different tasks

You should indeed!

If you ask me: Make sure it is the ffg and not the sabre grind version (unless you want a supersturdy tip).

My no 1 recommendation for a VG10 Endura would be:
Go and get a thin red line/thin blue line version as long as they can be found (disco'ed)
The only Endura that comes in ffg comboedge as far as I know, and for me this works surprisingly well and makes the knife super versatile (I'd still prefer VG10, ffg, regular blade shape, fully serrated though, but that does not exist).
Nice looks too with the subtle red resp. blue accents.

(And if you want to go superlight: Pac Salt 2 in LC200N (ffg too), for me definitely in SE)
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Sorry to bore you all, but VG10 is still my favourite steel.