Crucarta, what's going on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Artistformerlyknownas

Re: Crucarta, what's going on?

Post by Artistformerlyknownas »

Noticed un even look on k390 police4 blade, heard k390 patinas well, saw a YouTube video on using vinegar, it worked amazing, very dark patina looks kinda like soot from a fire but it’s beautiful and seems to really protect the blade(did it a couple years ago and looks exactly the same). I washed the blade to get off all oils, placed the knife blade down in a tall glass of vinegar to the edge of the handle and kept checking it-think it took ten or fifteen minutes, removed the blade and rinsed/washed the vinegar off. Never thought about it till seeing this thread. (I can still see the laser etching bc it patinas different)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Artistformerlyknownas:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Went to Moab, Utah for 7 days for my wife’s spring break. Because of this thread I decided to carry several of my Spyderco knives for the duration. I carried - Rockjumper VG10 frogLube oiled last month. PM2 S45VN, PM2 Crucarta, Native 5 CRUWEAR all frogLube oiled 2 months ago. And I carried my K294 mule which I frogLube oiled 3 or 4 months ago.

My wife and I drove down from Yelm, Washington. We went hiking in Arches National Park and the surrounding area every day. The PM2 crucarta was carried in my front pocket organizer. The PM2 S45VN was in my fifth pocket. The Rockjumper was clipped in my back pocket. The Native was clipped to coat breast pocket. And the mule was strapped to my belt.

Last time I was in Arches National park, August, my PM2 S45VN did get some rust on it. After visiting the park I stopped in at Spyderco in Golden, Colorado and asked them about it and they thought it might have happened due to contact with my keys. They introduced me to Flitz and i purchased the PM2 Crucarta. I also picked up some FrogLube oil I currently use around then and I’ve had no issues since.

Because FrogLube oil dries with no oily or greasy residue I oil the blade, pivot and handles of my knives with it. After spraying everything down I wipe the knives down and wrap them in paper towels for a short while to let the oil dry. After that I drop them in one of my pockets and go about my day.

So for this visit to Arches I paid attention to the knives to see if I’d see any changes. I only noticed two changes to two of my knives. The Native 5 got sand in the pivot from a sandstorm we got caught in on are last day. We had hiked up to Navajo Arch and a wicked, miserable sandstorm hit us just before we started back. The mule started to develop a patina that I like and hope to continue to develop with use. That was the extent of any changes.

Don’t know maybe I got lucky and got a really good PM2 Crucarta? Or maybe the routine helps?

Also the mule has a paracord wrap which I also spayed with the same oil. And I’ve noticed no rust in the handle as of yet.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294