Good second Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RugerNurse

Re: Good second Spyderco

Post by RugerNurse »

I think the Delica is a great next choice. It’s my most carried knife. You could try a paramilitary 2 next. Been one of Spyderco’s best selling models for awhile.
Quia surrexit Dominus vere, alleluia
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Delica is a great edc. I love my k390 wharncliffe!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

You could also wait till the Chaparral FRN in SE is here. Must be a monster cutter, and the Chap generally is one of Spydercos (and all folders out there) finest!
Or, you get another Spydie before that and make the Chap SE your third.. ;)

... Has your Pac Salt teeth btw?!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kriezek

Post by kriezek »

With a PS and a Delica, you have chosen 2 knives that are lock back knives. And they are very good. If you really like the lock back knife design, then I would recommend the Stretch 2 as your next knife. It sits between the PS and Delica in size and has a great blade shape.

But another really great knife close in size is the Paramilitary 2 (PM2) that has the compression lock. This is also a really great knife and it introduces you to a different lock type in the Spyderco lineup.

There a lots and lots of great Spyderco knives. And everyone has their favorites. But when looking at new knifes, think about form and function unless you want to become a collector. And that is why I mentioned size and blade shapes to you.

My favorites are listed in my signature block. Two of them are flippers. Two are back locks and three are compression locks with one RIL type lock (my least favorite type but it is an awesome knife). You can spend a lot of time looking and thinking about different knives, then spending tons of money on ones that end up not working for you. So take your time.
Top 5 6 - Stretch, Delica 4, Mantra 3, Smock, PM2, Techno 2
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Temporarily forgot that you DID order a Delica already.

Perfect choice imo as an addition to your Pac Salt! Delica to me being the best folder in its size range (the Chap is one size category below the Delica in my personal categorization)

Now I want to emphasize again: Especially if you Pac Salt does not have a serrated blade (I figure the Delica you ordered does not have either) make sure to try Spydercos SE!
To me superior in almost any folder task over PE (or at least not worse), plus better edge retention, a bit quicker and easier to sharpen (at least with a sharpmaker) and still a capable "matter separator" even when technically dull (where PE would be pretty much useless already)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joelc73 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:49 pm
Great suggestions guys. Wow, there are a lot of options! I’m glad I found this forum.
First off I want to wish you a warm welcome to Spyderville. It's a place where all of us fellow Spyder addicts try to support our habit and learn a multitude of things surrounding the best commercially made knife on the planet.

I have one big suggestion for your EDC that you desire>> We had a Sprint Run a couple of years ago of the 2002 era Spyderco C-60 Ayoob model. I've been using the serrated version of this newest Sprint Run for my primary EDC blade for almost three months now thanks to Brother "Kleon". The knife is an incredible work knife as well as a good self defense blade.

The C-60 Ayoob in my humble opinion is one of the finest designs of a folder that I've ever used. Even the plain edged version is superb as well. But the serrated version of the C-60 is beyond awesome; it's like working with a laser. They are getting a bit tough to find because the Sprint Run sold out pretty quickly but they do pop up from time to time.

The newest Sprint Run has a Gray G-10 handle/scales and an awesome Cruwear blade. If you can land one of those you won't be sorry I guarantee it.
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

As a funny aside, I told my wife I was getting her a knife also — probably a DF. When she saw the Delica she assumed it was hers… and really liked it. So knife 3 maybe in my immediate future!

Again, many thanks for the input. I LOVE the Delica. Against the advice of others, I ended up going with a SG. My Pac 2 is a SE. So I can definitely see something like a PM2 in my future. Or at a minimum, a FFG Delica.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joelc73 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:21 am
Again, many thanks for the input. I LOVE the Delica. Against the advice of others, I ended up going with a SG. My Pac 2 is a SE. So I can definitely see something like a PM2 in my future. Or at a minimum, a FFG Delica.

I prefer the ffg Delica as a cutting tool, and its blade imo is still easily strong enough.

That said:

With the sg Delica you have a real hard use tool, I think people who haven't really tried themselves underestimate sometimes how brutally strong and robust that blade and especially tip actually are, despite the just 2.5 mm blade stock!

I also have an sg Delica (with a comboedge) and it is my go to folder when I have to do tough cutting AND also have to work very fast without the time to be a bit careful especially with the tip (for example when having to unpack helicopter loads in very short time, where the blade hits all kinds of material, including metal barrels and the like).
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Just to close the loop, I ended up ordering a PM2 today. I’m excited about it! I definitely don’t need it and could absolutely live with this Delica but what fun is that? 😉
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Joelc73 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:46 pm
Just to close the loop, I ended up ordering a PM2 today. I’m excited about it! I definitely don’t need it and could absolutely live with this Delica but what fun is that? 😉

Perfect choice!

I think everyone should try a PM2 at one point, and it is a great knife no doubt!

And for you it also means you can experience a lot of new (to you) Spyderco features, like compression lock, finger choil, G10 scales, completely straight spine with that pointier tip, open back construction....