Tip Up vs Tip Down Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Tip Up vs Tip Down Carry

Tip Up
52%
Tip Down
14%
Depends on the knife
30%
Never thought about it
4%

Total votes: 113

Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Tip Up vs Tip Down Poll

Post by Mad Mac »

Thank you for playing.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Jesla

Re: Tip Up vs Tip Down Poll

Post by Jesla »

Up… to the extent I don’t even consider a knife that can’t be carried tip up.

Just weird that way…. I guess…
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
endura3

Post by endura3 »

For me it totally depends on the knife. I prefer tip up as long as the knife is both (1) small enough that I can easily access the hole in tip up configuration without "scooching up" the handle after drawing the knife, and (2) has a strong enough detent/closing bias that I don't need to worry about the knife unintentionally opening.

So smaller backlocks, absolutely tip up. A larger knife with a liner lock like the military, I prefer tip down. Everything in the middle depends on how relevant the above two factors are, plus how the clip feels in hand during use between the respective configurations. E.g., a knife with a choil like the Police is perfectly comfortable for me to use tip down because the choil gives me additional room to grip the knife "above" where the clip sits in hand. Whereas for me, using an endura with the clip tip down creates a hot spot with prolonged use because the clip sits right against my hand where I'm gripping the knife.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

The only factors that matter to me are ease of opening and how the knife feels in hand after it's opened.

Unlike probably every other person on this forum, I open a knife with my right hand, move it to my left, and then use it. This is because I'm left-handed but, because of neural tumors in my left hand, I find it easier to open and close a knife with my right. I realize this negates much of the advantage of one-handed open/close, but that's how it is...

All that said, this nearly always means a clip mounted on the right side of the knife, tip up, just like most people do for other reasons.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Up unless it's not an option.
Mat_ski

Post by Mat_ski »

Neither.

Clipless in the pocket. No need to advertise that there is a sharp object in my pocket.

But when I’m out fishing it is clipped in the front pocket of the waders, tip up.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I'll make a prediction before I look at the results and before I read any of the other posts- these polls come up every couple of months year after year and the results are somewhat consistent. Roughly 75% of internet knife enthusiasts choose tip up.

There are a lot of reasons- safety, comfort when holding the knife, use of a wave opening device, use of a lanyard.

I entered this post then cast my vote on the poll- out of 17 votes there were 76% for tip up. I have my preference but I don't automatically discount a knife because it doesn't meet my preference, there are a lot of good knife designs built both ways. I have become proficient at using both styles so I own and carry both styles.
Last edited by bdblue on Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Voted "depends on the knife." Mostly don't care, but I switched my Maxamet PM2 to tip down because I didn't like the way it sat in my pocket tip up.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Y’all “tip up or die” folks should try tip down for a bit. There’s nothing the least bit wrong with it at all. It’s much more flexible than tip up, especially with knives that depend on little detent balls to keep them closed.

If a knife is setup for rhtd, it doesn’t seem the least bit weird to alternatively carry it in the left pocket or a shirt pocket or any jacket pocket in most cases. I wouldn’t dare carry a rhtu liner lock or comp lock in my left pocket.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I'm guessing this thread was prompted by the latest issue of the Spyderco Byte. Great article on tip up vs tip down carry. I really enjoyed it.

As for me, it depends on the knife. For instance, I prefer tip down for long knives like the original Military. However, I also take into account factors like the clip. Sometimes the clip is much more comfortable in hand when positioned tip up or vice versa.

But I can adapt to either. So long as the knife is comfortable and cuts the way I need it to cut, I'll make it work.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

endura3 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:31 pm
For me it totally depends on the knife. I prefer tip up as long as the knife is both (1) small enough that I can easily access the hole in tip up configuration without "scooching up" the handle after drawing the knife....

Probably this thread is inspired by the new "byte" anyway, where there is a detailed and very good article about "tip up vs tip down (https://mailchi.mp/spyderco/spyderco-by ... 25e010da72 scroll down) - I strongly assume written by Mike Janich.

One thing that is said there is something I (and of course others) also always point out: The clip can also influence how well or not tip up carry works (for those who prefer that, which appearantly are many) - namely deep carry vs "regular" carry.

I´ll admit: I personally (!) am strongly opposed to deep carry clips for several reasons, and one is that a deep carry clip makes the thumb sit further away from the opening hole when one draws the knife, which again makes it more likely that "scooching up the handle" is needed - at least on long(er) folders.

This is not against deep carry clips per se for those who like those, just something to consider if one also likes tip up carry and long folders.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and concerning the poll:

100% Tip up guy here, even on larger folders ( I have rather large hands with long fingers and don´t like deep carry clips, so being too far from the opening hole has never been an issue for me)

For example: If (rather WHEN) I get another Millie 1, I´ll definitely come up with some tip up mod (by mounting a clip in the lanyard hole).

Never tried even LARGER folders - would be interesting to see how I´d like tip up on a P4 for example.
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

endura3 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:31 pm
For me it totally depends on the knife. I prefer tip up as long as the knife is both (1) small enough that I can easily access the hole in tip up configuration without "scooching up" the handle after drawing the knife, and (2) has a strong enough detent/closing bias that I don't need to worry about the knife unintentionally opening.

So smaller backlocks, absolutely tip up. A larger knife with a liner lock like the military, I prefer tip down. Everything in the middle depends on how relevant the above two factors are, plus how the clip feels in hand during use between the respective configurations. E.g., a knife with a choil like the Police is perfectly comfortable for me to use tip down because the choil gives me additional room to grip the knife "above" where the clip sits in hand. Whereas for me, using an endura with the clip tip down creates a hot spot with prolonged use because the clip sits right against my hand where I'm gripping the knife.
🎯
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm the guy who chose "never thought about it," which is as close as I could get to my preferred choice, which would have been: "I have no preference." Both seem to have unique advantages and I enjoy them both.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Almost always tip-down. The only tip-up knife I carry regularly is a drop-point UKPK. And that's purely an "around the house" knife where I have easy access to other cutting tools. All my EDC knives are tip-down.

I have almost 30 years of muscle memory from carrying tip-down knives, and I don't see any reason to change. It works for me, and that's all that really matters.

I'm sure people know someone who will only drive a manual transmission car. That preference limits what new vehicles they might buy in the future, since most car models are no longer available with a manual transmission. That's kind of how I feel about tip-down knives. Most companies don't even offer tip-down models any more. Spyderco is one of the few companies (maybe the only company?) that still offers a lot of models that support tip-down carry.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Depends on the knife. Normally I'll go tip down if it's longer and tip up if shorter though
horzuff

Post by horzuff »

For me it's tip-up only. I'mm right-handed and always carry in my front right pocket with the blade against the edge of the pocket, so that's safest, easiest to draw and least problematic to use the pocket alongside the knife (no jimping or stray blade tips to hurt ya).

I tried tip-down knives plenty of times and they never stick. The clip creates hot spots right where I grip the most. The position relegates the knife to a back pocket (front left is phone only) so it kinda falls by the wayside by default
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:42 pm
Never tried even LARGER folders - would be interesting to see how I´d like tip up on a P4 for example.
The P4 is a surprisingly easy carry due to its slimness and sensible height, though I am a bit split with it - the way the clip is mounted it's easier for me to carry it with a deep carry clip (otherwise there's quite a bit of handle sticking out and stabbing me when bending at the hips) but in use the DC clip just doesn't work for me, weird under the pinky, too far to offer purchase when opening the knife. I settled for the standard factory clip.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Tip up and deep carry clips on most knives. I put custom micarta scales on my S110 Millie primarily because they allowed me to spec a tip up clip config.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’m either/or - I care not so long as I like the knife. My secret personal preference is fixed blades 🤫
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:40 pm
I'm the guy who chose "never thought about it," which is as close as I could get to my preferred choice, which would have been: "I have no preference." Both seem to have unique advantages and I enjoy them both.
I pretty much second this. Both work for me. I’d also say tip up or tip down does depends on how it goes with the particular design in question
:bug-red-white