What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:13 pm
How do you like the steel used for this knife? Been kind of avoiding this knife for now because I’m uncertain about the quality of the steel used. Would be open to opinions that may change my mind.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use AEB-L and K294
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

Produced 26 years ago.

PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

VandymanG wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:50 am
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:13 pm
How do you like the steel used for this knife? Been kind of avoiding this knife for now because I’m uncertain about the quality of the steel used. Would be open to opinions that may change my mind.

Pros: super easy to maintain and almost impossible to corrode.

Cons: poor(er) edge retention compared to other similarly used steels like LC200N.

It needs frequent sharpening/edge maintenance, but it’s super quick and easy, and I often do it on the bottom of a coffee mug or other ceramic dish.

Don't mean to scare you away from H1/H2, it has worked fine for me for four years now, certainly my most used steel. But, I would love to see the ARK get more variants in steels and blade shapes.

As an alternative to the ARK, I’d like to try the Subway Bowie, someday. USA made, LC200N, slightly lower tip placement, slightly longer blade.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Some will know how this goes:
When gifting Spydies, they come back periodically for a proper sharpening... ;)
(Always funny to me: Compared to many HERE I am an complete amateur when it comes to sharpening - but in my "real life" it does not take much skill and people think I am kind of a sharpening wizard... :grin-sweat )

So this Delica is one I actually gifted to someone, but it really needs some work at the edge and so it`s back with me right now and I decided to carry it today.

And though my own favorite "Delica" is the Salt 2 SE, I am always really enjoying the original (in ffg):
So solidly built, reasonably thin, but not TOO thin blade stock, slim carry, roomy handle, reliable lock, such a refined design... imo just the best in its particular size category (in which I also tried Native 5 LW and Para 3 LW (when it comes to Spyderco) - nice knives, especially the Native (the Para 3 is just TOO much kind of a "small knife that carries big" for me) - but no match for a Delica in my use).

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

IMG_4939.jpeg
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

9B44D6D3-6F7D-4AEB-8B5D-D6FBF3E72B1A.jpeg
MRj “Weak things break!”
miohin

Post by miohin »

1000003882.jpg
Lurker
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Haven´t carried my Stretch XL in a while, took it with me for todays "biathlon" (trailrunning mixed with no spin throwing) ;)
Still really, really like this model - light, several good grip options, a lot of edge, pretty much perfect serrations.

Just on the very fine tip (even more delicate in SE, due to the chisel grind) I am always kind of in two minds:
On the one hand it is extremely capable in finer "tip tasks".
On the other I am always a bit worried I could snap that tip and thus use my Stretch XL with some more caution than I normally do with other Spydies.

Yes, I could reground the tip if it snapped or could even reground and give it an "Endura drop" right now.
But I don´t want to do that, cause that fine tip actually IS one of the defining features of the Stretch XL for me, and I also want it to keep every bit if that long cutting edge.
Makes the XL kind of a "niche knife" for me though. I would not bring it as my only folder for a multi-day outdoor trip for example, but pair it with for example my Chap or Salt 2 for their a bit stronger tips (I guess. Never tested this obviously).

Makes me want to get an H2 Stretch XL SE as a "stronger tip" alternative... :smirk

- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

MRj “Weak things break!”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Jesla

Post by Jesla »

image.jpeg
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:04 pm
Just on the very fine tip (even more delicate in SE, due to the chisel grind) I am always kind of in two minds:
On the other I am always a bit worried I could snap that tip and thus use my Stretch XL with some more caution than I normally do with other Spydies.

I have the same concern about a Straight Spine Mule I'm converting for lightweight carry. In the Mule section, I'd asked the forum if I should "Delica" the tip for backcountry use, and Sal responded:

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 am
Hi Bolster,
I've been using a SPY27 Mule daily for a multitude of tasks. I think the steel will handle the tip as it comes. Just don't pry or stab concrete. I sharpen it on a 20, 30, and a few strokes of 40. It's held up just fine. Sort of a Hamaguri.
sal
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:04 pm

I have the same concern about a Straight Spine Mule I'm converting for lightweight carry. In the Mule section, I'd asked the forum if I should "Delica" the tip for backcountry use, and Sal responded:

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:30 am
Hi Bolster,
I've been using a SPY27 Mule daily for a multitude of tasks. I think the steel will handle the tip as it comes. Just don't pry or stab concrete. I sharpen it on a 20, 30, and a few strokes of 40. It's held up just fine. Sort of a Hamaguri.
sal

Thanks, Bolster, good to know!

I could imagine though that the Stretch XL SE tip is even thinner than the ss Mule tip - both have the same blade stock thickness, but the XL actually has a longer blade so it could be that due to the added length for tapering it gets even thinner in the tip area - ?

Also, as said: SE or precisely the chisel grind it comes in make a tip noticably finer than PE in my experience (even managed to snap the very end of the tip on my Endela SE, despite it has a "dropped" tip).

And: My XL has a VG10, not a Spy27 blade (don´t know how much of a difference that could make - ?)

Anyway: For a universal outdoor knife and what I do with it I know that I do want a sturdier tip.
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Snow!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005