Boating and lanyards

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joelc73

Boating and lanyards

Post by Joelc73 »

Are any of you guys using your Spydercos for boating and how are you securing them? I bought a Pac 2 Salt SE to leave on my boat but wondering if I should lanyard it to my wrist or rig up a float of some kind perhaps. I could zip tie it to the helm but it may not be on me when I need it then — plus more open to theft.

Would love to know what others are doing.
Mushroom

Re: Boating and lanyards

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve tried to find a reasonably sized float with enough buoyancy to support the weight of a Salt but everything I found was either too big, to the point where it was more obtrusive than convenient, or just not buoyant enough to float the knife in general.

I just trust the pocket clip and accept the risk that it could fall overboard. I do what I can to minimize that risk by being very deliberate when I use my knife on board and I make sure to put it away when I’m done using it.
-Nick :bug-red
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Thanks. I was hopeful with the float idea but I don’t want to tether a soccer ball sized float to my knife either. Maybe, to your point, just be careful and minimize risk as much as possible.
James Y

Post by James Y »

How about attaching it to a belt loop with paracord? Then if you drop it, or if it unintentionally becomes unclipped and slips out of the pocket, it's still attached to your person. Unless that's considered a potential hazard. The paracord doesn't need to be very long.

Jim
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:23 pm
How about attaching it to a belt loop with paracord? Then if you drop it, or if it unintentionally becomes unclipped and slips out of the pocket, it's still attached to your person. Unless that's considered a potential hazard. The paracord doesn't need to be very long.

Jim
That’s a good idea too. The only problem is most bathing suits don’t have belt loops. They usually just have pockets.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Tie a noose knot at the end of a paracord lanyard and slip your wrist through it when in use. At least it will be tethered when you are using it. I have one that I keep around for the rare times I'm up a ladder using a blade. The end that attaches to the knife is a simple bowline knot that I slip the pocket clip through.
Brian
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Joelc73 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:39 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
That’s a good idea too. The only problem is most bathing suits don’t have belt loops. They usually just have pockets.
Secure one end of the lanyard to the bottom of the pocket either with a safety pin or just sew it in. Use a yard or so of paracord and attach the other end to the knife. Stuff the cord down in your pocket, then clip the knife in (works better if the knife is tip down so the lanyard is at the bottom).
Nothing hanging out to snag on things, if you use a long enough cord you can draw the knife, open it and use it without having to detach it and if it slips out of your pocket (or your hand) it is still attached to you so it doesn't get away.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Joelc73 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:39 pm
James Y wrote:

Jim
I usually pass the cord through the drain hole of bathing suit pockets. Tie a knot inside so it can't come out and then secure it to the knife.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I use retractable lanyards on some of my gear while fishing. For example forceps on a retractable lanyard attached to my waders or a T2 Toothpick with a retractable lanyard on my ice fishing bibs. A knife on a retractable lanyard might come in handy if you have a good place to clip it on to.

I might try a knife plus retractable lanyard on my PFD this summer while I’m kayaking.
-Nick :bug-red
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Just ordered some Paracord. I’ll look for a retractable lanyard also. Thanks guys!
K1500

Post by K1500 »

I wouldn’t worry about it but if you are, a retractable lanyard that is commonly used with fly fishing tools may be the ticket.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I like a pair of board shorts with a zippered pocket. The knife stays secure but I don’t have to mess with a long lanyard or worry about it snagging on anything.

One thing that makes this easier in terms of accessing the knife is putting a short, stiff-ish lanyard on it, about twice the length of the knife, using paracord or seine twine or something like that, braided and with an eye in the end. The lanyard makes it easy to grab out of the pocket and if you have to do something with the knife where you might drop it a longer lanyard is easily tied through the eye.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:36 pm
I use retractable lanyards on some of my gear while fishing. For example forceps on a retractable lanyard attached to my waders or a T2 Toothpick with a retractable lanyard on my ice fishing bibs. A knife on a retractable lanyard might come in handy if you have a good place to clip it on to.

I might try a knife plus retractable lanyard on my PFD this summer while I’m kayaking.
I’ll echo what Mushroom said - I’ve played around with this quite a bit for bolting new sport climbing routes and found the sort of lanyard that recoils about 80% of the way to you is best (like one of these - https://www.fishersdirect.com/mclean-ne ... 9492-p.asp), as the auto recoiling ones that auto-retract completely closed on their own have an alarming tendency to whip the open bladed knife into you. I got good and poked high up a cliff in the dead of night once from one of those auto retractors paired with an open folder I fumbled, and once was enough 😂 for bigger tools I highly recommend Reecoil chainsaw leashes.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

My solution is to bring one of a pile of old slip joints I bought at a garage sale for a few bucks a piece. I don’t care if they rust or go overboard.
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Ended up tying a lanyard for now. I’ll tie to my shorts with a longer piece when I’m in the water. And hope that I won’t need to buy another Pac 2 anytime soon.
Attachments
IMG_1505.jpeg
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Joel,

I pretty much do what Mushroom does.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Wine corks and paracord are your friends. Use real one piece corks.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Joelc73

Post by Joelc73 »

Wine corks is an interesting idea… could look cool too.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Soyderco needs to make a knife with a cork handle.
Mora and White River Knives make cork handled knives, and they float..!
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:22 am
Wine corks and paracord are your friends. Use real one piece corks.
That is really rather clever!
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE