Para 3 LW Slip Joint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JoviAl

Para 3 LW Slip Joint

Post by JoviAl »

As a Brit abroad i’m always on the lookout for any good slip joints for carrying when I visit the UK. I’ve been using my S110V Para 3 a lot the last few days and got to wondering if we might ever see a slip joint version aimed at the UK market. A quick search of the forum came up dry, so thought I’d bring it up for discussion.

What are people’s thoughts? I know we already have the UKPK and a new Kapara variant is looming on the horizon (exciting!), but would anyone be interested in a slip joint Para 3 LW (or standard/cru-carta)?
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Jesla

Re: Para 3 LW Slip Joint

Post by Jesla »

One can dream…. However, as you know, the UKPK is pretty close. If you overlay them, they are very close in all dimensions. Anything is possible… a nested G10 UKPK would be more likely.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hey Al,

So far I don't need any Slipjoints for a legal carry, still my thoughts:

- As you say a slipjoint Para 3 would compete with the UKPK
... and there I have to be honest:
The win for me personally clearly goes to the UKPK:

- Much thinner bladestock (and one can't really brutally beat on the thick Para 3 blade cause the most vulnerable area - the point - actually is not that strong).
- Roughly 10 % shorter carry, but same amount of edge
- A lot lighter than even the Para 3 LW (though a slipjoint Para 3 could potentially become lighter than a (comp.) locking Para 3)

BUT: That's just me, and generelly I think options for those who want or have to carry a non locking folder are only a good thing.
... And the Para 3 would be a good option, since it almost has to be held with a finger in the choil anyway (at least in my experience, had the LW SE) which is always a good idea with a "non locker"!.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Interesting idea …

I would rather have a Native 5 slip joint, but only because I find the Para 3 a little cramped in hand.
cjk

Post by cjk »

There was a thread about a double detent G-10 para 3 slip joint previously. IIRC, Sal was going to have a prototype made. I'll go find the thread.

edit:
here it is:
viewtopic.php?t=93591
Last edited by cjk on Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The Kapara slippie seems like a good idea as does the native 5. The para 3 never floated my boat - Ive owned two and passed them both on quickly, so naturally a para 3 slippie wouldn’t be something I’m eager for, but the more sub 3” slip joints the merrier I say.

Now The Chaparral slip joint - that’s the one we all want and need. It’s the one thats going to kick all other flat ground slipjoints in the d**k including the UKPK. Please hurry up and get this one made, it’ll be a marvellous slip joint.
Jesla

Post by Jesla »

Flash wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm
…..Now The Chaparral slip joint - that’s the one we all want and need….
We all want?… who is we?… oh, wait… you mean, you want.
Whatever turns you on, cupcake.
Still plays with knives…
Flash

Post by Flash »

^Yes 😀👍
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

cjk wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:01 pm
There was a previous thread about a double detent G-10 para 3 slip joint previously. IIRC, Sal was going to have a prototype made. I'll go find the thread.

edit:
here it is:
viewtopic.php?t=93591
Thanks! I completely missed that thread 👍🏻
- Al

Dream knives -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Jesla wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:32 pm
Flash wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 pm
…..Now The Chaparral slip joint - that’s the one we all want and need….
We all want?… who is we?… oh, wait… you mean, you want.

I would too... like in "if I wanted a locking folder get a slipjoint variant the Chap would without any doubt be my no 1 choice" ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
toml4185

Post by toml4185 »

Fellow Brit abroad here. Para 3 LW (spy 27) is my all time favorite EDC carry. If it takes a slippie to bring it to those in the UK then I'm all for it. However, one of the things I like best about it other than the ergos is the compression lock and how fiddly it is. It has the best action of all the knives in my collection.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am
Hey Al,

So far I don't need any Slipjoints for a legal carry, still my thoughts:

- As you say a slipjoint Para 3 would compete with the UKPK
... and there I have to be honest:
The win for me personally clearly goes to the UKPK:

- Much thinner bladestock (and one can't really brutally beat on the thick Para 3 blade cause the most vulnerable area - the point - actually is not that strong).
- Roughly 10 % shorter carry, but same amount of edge
- A lot lighter than even the Para 3 LW (though a slipjoint Para 3 could potentially become lighter than a (comp.) locking Para 3)

BUT: That's just me, and generelly I think options for those who want or have to carry a non locking folder are only a good thing.
... And the Para 3 would be a good option, since it almost has to be held with a finger in the choil anyway (at least in my experience, had the LW SE) which is always a good idea with a "non locker"!.
Hi Gernot 👋🏻

Good points, all well made 👍🏻 for me I tend to use the PM3 for different stuff to my UKPK (sometimes I carry them both together), but I get where you’re coming from. For me the UKPK excels at food prep and light duty general cutting, whereas I find my PM3 comes into its own when I’m whittling or breaking down thick cardboard boxes (I tend to do more of the former than the latter). I see them as more of a complimentary pairing than being mutually exclusive. That’s how I’m explaining having several of both to my wife anyway 😉
- Al

Dream knives -
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Hi Gernot 👋🏻

Good points, all well made 👍🏻 for me I tend to use the PM3 for different stuff to my UKPK (sometimes I carry them both together), but I get where you’re coming from. For me the UKPK excels at food prep and light duty general cutting, whereas I find my PM3 comes into its own when I’m whittling or breaking down thick cardboard boxes (I tend to do more of the former than the latter). I see them as more of a complimentary pairing than being mutually exclusive. That’s how I’m explaining having several of both to my wife anyway 😉

Hey Al,

coming from you these experiences mean something... I know that you are one of those who really use their knives, no doubt! :clinking-mugs

I personally have come to a point though where I find thick blade stock in such small folders (actually also in larger ones) almost completely unnecessary and mostly a con.
My Chaparral is the prime example to me how thin stock can easily handle even really hard small folder tasks and often actually does that with less force applied anyway (due to the "slicier" geometry).

And a combo I personally am not too fond of: Thick blade stock, but still a fine tip one has to be careful with.
To me it is like "go all the way":
- IF thick bladestock than also a sturdy tip, so that one can beat on the blade even in really silly ways from every angle
- Thinner, in many ways more useful tips on thinner stock (but still not TOO fragile tips - Delica (drop towards the tip) and Chap (broad leaf shape) are good examples for that)

That said there still are some advantages to thicker stock:
- It is more comfortable to put a finger on the spine, especially when applying a lot of pressure
- For some tasks one actually WANTS a "more wedgy" and "less slicey" blade
- Thick stock technically can make the lock up stronger

/ ... I don´t know your wife but still think I have to break it to you:
I am afraid she actually does not buy your explanation but is just too nice to tell you... ;) (my experience with women anyway... :smlling-eyes )
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:29 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:15 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Hi Gernot 👋🏻

Hey Al,

coming from you these experiences mean something... I know that you are one of those who really use their knives, no doubt! :clinking-mugs

I personally have come to a point though where I find thick blade stock in such small folders (actually also in larger ones) almost completely unnecessary and mostly a con.
My Chaparral is the prime example to me how thin stock can easily handle even really hard small folder tasks and often actually does that with less force applied anyway (due to the "slicier" geometry).

And a combo I personally am not too fond of: Thick blade stock, but still a fine tip one has to be careful with.
To me it is like "go all the way":
- IF thick bladestock than also a sturdy tip, so that one can beat on the blade even in really silly ways from every angle
- Thinner, in many ways more useful tips on thinner stock (but still not TOO fragile tips - Delica (drop towards the tip) and Chap (broad leaf shape) are good examples for that)

That said there still are some advantages to thicker stock:
- It is more comfortable to put a finger on the spine, especially when applying a lot of pressure
- For some tasks one actually WANTS a "more wedgy" and "less slicey" blade
- Thick stock technically can make the lock up stronger

/ ... I don´t know your wife but still think I have to break it to you:
I am afraid she actually does not buy your explanation but is just too nice to tell you... ;) (my experience with women anyway... :smlling-eyes )
I guess I’d never really given much thought to the thickness of the PM3’s tip. My favourite one is in S110V and I’ve not had any problems with it, but I am very careful with my knives not to torque the tips unnecessarily so maybe I’m not the best representative demographic 🤷🏼‍♂️ my only real personal issue with the PM3 is the comp lock digging into my hand if I bare down on it, but I now use that as an indicator - if I’m pressing so hard I’m noticing the comp lock digging in I take it as a sign that it’s probably time for a fixed blade. I’m confident comp locks are mega strong, but I always ask myself “why risk damaging a favourite tool if you don’t have to?” Plus it means I get to use the knife in my other pocket for a bit 🤪
- Al

Dream knives -