A step into the modern world with the Lil Native / thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Palestrina

A step into the modern world with the Lil Native / thoughts

Post by Palestrina »

Hello everyone,

thank you for all your kind replies to my first thread (Recommendations for a European traditionalis), I've now got my first Spyderco knife and I'm going to tell you all the things you already know about anyways, but I'm just pretty excited.

After checking out all of your suggestions I got my wife involved - as any responsible man does :winking-tongue

So I showed her some pictures of the Delica, the Native 5 (the one I initially wanted), the PM2 and so on. Then the Lil Native showed up and she said it was "cute" - this basically meant I got the "approval" to start out with a somewhat premium knife which - lucky me - was also on stock in the backlock version at Knives and Tools. So I immediately ordered it and it arrived a week ago.

Here it sits next to my previous EDC, a Nontron Violon Slipjoint from France.
Lil Native next to Nontron Violon PP
Lil Native next to Nontron Violon PP

The last week has been testing, cutting everything you can imagine and taking it with me basically everywhere except the bathtub.

So I wanted to share my thoughts on here:

First of all, it is smaller than I've expected, but due to the handle design it fits like a glove, way better than I would have ever expected. It feels like an extension of my hand when cutting. Very intuitive, very safe. I could not have wished for more. The level of control provided by it's ergonomics is astounding.

I'm left handed, if I carry it tip up with the clip in the factory position it feels perfectly natural to pull out the knife and open it up left handed. The clip sits on the same side as my fingertips, but the way I pull it out I can open it up with my thumb without the need to turn it around. I love it - especially since most of my knives don't allow one handed opening and I refuse to add thumb-studs to my folders. To me, it feels amazing, and I get a great grip on the knife this way. One handed opening and closing works excellent, no need for me to relocate the clip on the knife.

As if it was made for my hands.
As if it was made for my hands.

The knife also made it's way into my office, which I share with 2 women. They are used to my pocket knives, and they reassured me that this knife is as non-threatening as a knife can get - that to me is a great feature and a compliment to this design. Being able to pull out a knife I enjoy using without making people around me uncomfortable is something I really care about. The Lil Native hits a perfect score here.

Cutting performance - fantastic, what else can I say? I'm used to XC75 carbon steels, T12 stainless and 420HC - so it will be interesting the first time I have to sharpen S30V, I'm really looking forward to it. But as of now there's no need to anyways, and I'm interested in how long the factory edge will withstand the abuse of a shipping department - cutting through cardboard boxes, tape, opening letters, an occasional apple - it all works as good as it could get, the ergonomics and blade length perfectly suit my everyday needs at work.

Another thing - it's unbelievably lightweight, it feels like my lightest Opinel knives, while at the same time feeling like a tank in my hand. The ergonomics are just on point.

At first I was afraid the G10 scales will feel cheap or like plastic, especially since I'm used to wood handles, but they feel and look nice, it just needs some getting used to for me personally. This is not a critique, I knew it wasn't gonna have the same feel as a wood handle.

Clipping it to my pocket is quite challenging, the G10 texture is a little bit rough and the clip pretty tight - which may be the only downside I have noticed by now. On the other hand I don't risk losing it this way, so this might be a feature anyways. I like the looks of the clip.

I'm sure this knife won't leave my pocket for a long time, and I hope it will stay in production as well - I'm used to long lasting designs and it feels good to know I am able to get another one if I ever need to replace it.

It's been just a week and I'm already hooked, I could not be more happy with my purchase.

What a great knife!

Edit: It is not ideal for cutting Camembert, but that's a good reason to still carry a classic French folder as well ;)
First Spyderco, March 2024 - Lil' Native Back Lock C230MGPB

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
benben

Re: A step into the modern world with the Lil Native / thoughts

Post by benben »

Congratulations on your first (of many) Spyderco knives! And....that is one very slick looking Slipjoint!
Fastidiotus

Post by Fastidiotus »

I think people pass on the Lil Native because of the price, but it is a fantastic little harder use knife. I started out a large knife person and dont have any restrictions where I live. The Lil Native frequently finds it's way into my pocket over others. In my normal day to day there's rarely a time when the Lil Native isn't enough knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Palestrina wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm
Hello everyone,

thank you for all your kind replies to my first thread (Recommendations for a European traditionalis), I've now got my first Spyderco knife and I'm going to tell you all the things you already know about anyways, but I'm just pretty excited.

After checking out all of your suggestions I got my wife involved - as any responsible man does :winking-tongue

So I showed her some pictures of the Delica, the Native 5 (the one I initially wanted), the PM2 and so on. Then the Lil Native showed up and she said it was "cute" - this basically meant I got the "approval" to start out with a somewhat premium knife which - lucky me - was also on stock in the backlock version at Knives and Tools. So I immediately ordered it and it arrived a week ago.

20240328_182251.jpg

The last week has been testing, cutting everything you can imagine and taking it with me basically everywhere except the bathtub.

So I wanted to share my thoughts on here:

First of all, it is smaller than I've expected, but due to the handle design it fits like a glove, way better than I would have ever expected. It feels like an extension of my hand when cutting. Very intuitive, very safe. I could not have wished for more. The level of control provided by it's ergonomics is astounding.

I'm left handed, if I carry it tip up with the clip in the factory position it feels perfectly natural to pull out the knife and open it up left handed. The clip sits on the same side as my fingertips, but the way I pull it out I can open it up with my thumb without the need to turn it around. I love it - especially since most of my knives don't allow one handed opening and I refuse to add thumb-studs to my folders. To me, it feels amazing, and I get a great grip on the knife this way. One handed opening and closing works excellent, no need for me to relocate the clip on the knife.

20240328_181819.jpg

The knife also made it's way into my office, which I share with 2 women. They are used to my pocket knives, and they reassured me that this knife is as non-threatening as a knife can get - that to me is a great feature and a compliment to this design. Being able to pull out a knife I enjoy using without making people around me uncomfortable is something I really care about. The Lil Native hits a perfect score here.

Cutting performance - fantastic, what else can I say? I'm used to XC75 carbon steels, T12 stainless and 420HC - so it will be interesting the first time I have to sharpen S30V, I'm really looking forward to it. But as of now there's no need to anyways, and I'm interested in how long the factory edge will withstand the abuse of a shipping department - cutting through cardboard boxes, tape, opening letters, an occasional apple - it all works as good as it could get, the ergonomics and blade length perfectly suit my everyday needs at work.

Another thing - it's unbelievably lightweight, it feels like my lightest Opinel knives, while at the same time feeling like a tank in my hand. The ergonomics are just on point.

At first I was afraid the G10 scales will feel cheap or like plastic, especially since I'm used to wood handles, but they feel and look nice, it just needs some getting used to for me personally. This is not a critique, I knew it wasn't gonna have the same feel as a wood handle.

Clipping it to my pocket is quite challenging, the G10 texture is a little bit rough and the clip pretty tight - which may be the only downside I have noticed by now. On the other hand I don't risk losing it this way, so this might be a feature anyways. I like the looks of the clip.

I'm sure this knife won't leave my pocket for a long time, and I hope it will stay in production as well - I'm used to long lasting designs and it feels good to know I am able to get another one if I ever need to replace it.

It's been just a week and I'm already hooked, I could not be more happy with my purchase.

What a great knife!

Edit: It is not ideal for cutting Camembert, but that's a good reason to still carry a classic French folder as well ;)

Good morning (where WE live ;) ) Austrian country fellow man!

Glad you got a Spydie you obviously really like in the first try (not a huge surprise though, I don´t think there are many you would NOT)!
And very nice write up! :clinking-mugs

I am not in a position to really discuss the Lil Native with you, never even held one, can just go by its specs - still some thoughts / suggestions based on that:

- Tight clip:

No problem to slightly bend it in a way that it gets less (or also more, that´s what I often do) tight.
For LESS tight you perhaps even would not have to detach it, but I´d still recommend doing so

- "Unbelievably lightweight, but feeling like a tank in you hand"

Most likely you just found the weight and substance you personally like, and that´s great!

But that said: Should you want to experience further how light modern folders / Spydies can feel:
Might sound funny to you, but the Lil Native is actually (very) HEAVY for its size... ;)

(For my liking as more of a lightweight kind of guy)) almost brutal 71 grams for "just" 2" / 51 mm of cutting edge and a closed package of just 3,47" / 88 mm

For that weight you could get what most would consider one of Spydercos large folders (while most would consider the Lil Native a very small one), the Pac Salt in LC200N:
- Practically same weight (72 grams), but a cutting edge of 3.4" /87 mm and a closed package of 128 mm / 4,98")
Should you like to make another "step into the modern world" this model would now actually be my recommendation, specifically its SE version. Would give you a nice contrast to your Lil Native!
- Slicier, thinner blade (tapering), easily long enough to cut Camembert ;)
- The performance - and edge retention plus of serrations (with their steeper chisel grind)
- Linerless, sturdy FRN and relatively seen actually light weight...
- Practically completely rust proof

Or you try its smaller sibling (still a lot larger than the Lil Native), the Salt 2 ffg SE(roughly 2/3 of the Lil Native weight at 54 grams / 1.9 oz)

Or, if you like the Lil Native platform so much that you don´t want to change that:
There will be a Lil Native lightweight soon - the version I personally would definitely go for:
- Less than 2/3 of the weight your has
- Blade not that thick (G10 Lil Native blade roughly 30% thicker) but still sturdy
- Perhaps / probably even better ergos due to the chamfering on the FRN

But for now: Enjoy your new and first Spydie!

... and perhaps you are even one of the few (if there even are any...? :grin-sweat) who can stick with just that model, but I doubt it... thus my recommendations ;)
Last edited by Wartstein on Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Welcome to the Spyderco world, I'm sure this lil' native (one of my favorites too, as a left-hander) won't be your last!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Welcome to the Forum and glad you are happy with your Lil Native . Hope to read another new knife report in the future . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

benben wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm
Congratulations on your first (of many) Spyderco knives! And....that is one very slick looking Slipjoint!
Thanks :) Yes, the Nontron Violon is a really nice slipjoint. I like traditional french folders generally, especially Nontron knives. If you ever get a french knife keep in mind you will have to put an edge on them yourself, in my experience french knife manufacturers seem to skip the sharpening process almost entirely, except for Opinel.
Fastidiotus wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm
I think people pass on the Lil Native because of the price, but it is a fantastic little harder use knife. I started out a large knife person and dont have any restrictions where I live. The Lil Native frequently finds it's way into my pocket over others. In my normal day to day there's rarely a time when the Lil Native isn't enough knife.
I'm not "rich", but I'm always willing to pay for quality products. As of now I'm really happy with this purchase, to me it feels like I got a lot of value for the money. And as you've stated, for most EDC tasks the Lil Native will be just fine, at least in my case.
Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am
Welcome to the Spyderco world, I'm sure this lil' native (one of my favorites too, as a left-hander) won't be your last!
Ambidextrous designs are a blessing for me as well. I maybe would have bought a Para 3 if there was a left handed version, but since I really enjoy the backlock I'm really happy with this knife. It probably won't be my last... the Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe looks interesting...
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am
Or, if you like the Lil Native platform so much that you don´t want to change that:
There will be a Lil Native lightweight soon - the version I personally would definitely go for:
- Blade not that thick (G10 Lil Native blade roughly 30% thicker) but still sturdy

... and perhaps you are even one of the few (if there even are any...? :grin-sweat) who can stick with just that model, but I doubt it... thus my recommendations ;)
You seem really knowledgeable, I will have to check out your suggestions.

"Lil Native LW" sounds so funny to me, as I barely feel the G10 version in my pocket - for the first 3 days or so I've regularly checked if it's still there. To me it's barely more noticeable in the pocket than my Mercator knives. But since I'm already hooked, I will for sure check out the LW when it becomes available.

At this moment a Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe is on my wishlist at Knives and Tools. I'm out hiking regularly, and this won't hurt as much if I would lose it, and I'm looking for a backup for my Opinel knives which I usually carry to the mountains.

My next concern will be the sharpening process, maybe I should get the diamond rods for the sharpmaker, as until now I've only sharpened softer steels which did not pose a challenge to the medium rods. This is my first premium steel knife.
Last edited by Palestrina on Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My User Name does not refer to a middle eastern region, but to an Italian composer of the most beautiful masses you'll ever hear. Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, go check him out.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I guess now we need to put you a list together of lefty friendly Spyderco knives. Always a pleasure to spend other people's money. :grin-smiling-eyes
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Congrats on the Lil Native and if you get the Dragonfly next I’m sure you’ll like it as well…I carry one every single day but make sure to check your pockets before laundry day 😉
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Palestrina wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:03 pm
benben wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm
Thanks :) Yes, the Nontron Violon is a really nice slipjoint. I like traditional french folders generally, especially Nontron knives. If you ever get a french knife keep in mind you will have to put an edge on them yourself, in my experience french knife manufacturers seem to skip the sharpening process almost entirely, except for Opinel.
Fastidiotus wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 pm
I'm not "rich", but I'm always willing to pay for quality products. As of now I'm really happy with this purchase, to me it feels like I got a lot of value for the money. And as you've stated, for most EDC tasks the Lil Native will be just fine, at least in my case.
Mr Blonde wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am
Ambidextrous designs are a blessing for me as well. I maybe would have bought a Para 3 if there was a left handed version, but since I really enjoy the backlock I'm really happy with this knife. It probably won't be my last... the Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe looks interesting...
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

You seem really knowledgeable, I will have to check out your suggestions.

"Lil Native LW" sounds so funny to me, as I barely feel the G10 version in my pocket - for the first 3 days or so I've regularly checked if it's still there. To me it's barely more noticeable in the pocket than my Mercator knives. But since I'm already hooked, I will for sure check out the LW when it becomes available.

At this moment a Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe is on my wishlist at Knives and Tools. I'm out hiking regularly, and this won't hurt as much if I would lose it, and I'm looking for a backup for my Opinel knives which I usually carry to the mountains.

My next concern will be the sharpening process, maybe I should get the diamond rods for the sharpmaker, as until now I've only sharpened softer steels which did not pose a challenge to the medium rods. This is my first premium steel knife.
Hi Palestrina,

Yes, Wartstein is very knowledgeable about knives, as attested by his large body of valuable contributions here on this forum.

You don’t need the diamond rods to maintain S30V on the Sharpmaker. They are, however, indispensable for repairing damaged edges and for reprofiling edges to a more acute angle. The brown and white ceramic rods do an excellent job on all common steels for edge maintenance.
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:33 pm
Congrats on the Lil Native and if you get the Dragonfly next I’m sure you’ll like it as well…I carry one every single day but make sure to check your pockets before laundry day 😉
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:19 am
I guess now we need to put you a list together of lefty friendly Spyderco knives. Always a pleasure to spend other people's money. :grin-smiling-eyes
All of your comments might lead to irresponsible financial choices on my end :grin-smiling-eyes
Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:17 pm
You don’t need the diamond rods to maintain S30V on the Sharpmaker. They are, however, indispensable for repairing damaged edges and for reprofiling edges to a more acute angle. The brown and white ceramic rods do an excellent job on all common steels for edge maintenance.
That's good to know. I was just wondering since I have zero experience with modern steels. Over the last years I have never felt the need for more aggressive stones than the medium ones. I usually take care of my knives and touch them up frequently to always keep them in good shape. I have added the ultra fine stones a year ago though, just to get that little extra polish.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Palestrina wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:44 am
SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:33 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:19 am
Bill1170 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:17 pm
That's good to know. I was just wondering since I have zero experience with modern steels. Over the last years I have never felt the need for more aggressive stones than the medium ones. I usually take care of my knives and touch them up frequently to always keep them in good shape. I have added the ultra fine stones a year ago though, just to get that little extra polish.
- Technically you actually COULD repair damages in an S30V edge with the mediums... but Bill is still right, this often times would mean a ton of work.

When getting lower grit rods you can also consider the CBN ones.
Lots of discussions here about how much the CBNs and the Diamonds differ in performance and longetivity...
As far as I read the diamonds are probably a tad coarser, the CBNs hold up better (but don´t quote me on that, I am just parroting. Have only the CBNs myself and am happy with those).

- For the ultra-fine rods and extra polish: There actually is a pretty substantial group here who advocate for the opposite approach: Low grit sharpening.
Vivi is a (the) main voice for that, here is an interesting thread he started viewtopic.php?p=1368196#p1368196

I myself also often only use my CBN rods (a lot coarser than the brown mediums) and stop there (perhaps add 1 or 2 light strokes on the white ones)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Palestrina

Post by Palestrina »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:43 am
- Technically you actually COULD repair damages in an S30V edge with the mediums... but Bill is still right, this often times would mean a ton of work.

When getting lower grit rods you can also consider the CBN ones.
Lots of discussions here about how much the CBNs and the Diamonds differ in performance and longetivity...
As far as I read the diamonds are probably a tad coarser, the CBNs hold up better (but don´t quote me on that, I am just parroting. Have only the CBNs myself and am happy with those).

- For the ultra-fine rods and extra polish: There actually is a pretty substantial group here who advocate for the opposite approach: Low grit sharpening.
Vivi is a (the) main voice for that, here is an interesting thread he started viewtopic.php?p=1368196#p1368196

I myself also often only use my CBN rods (a lot coarser than the brown mediums) and stop there (perhaps add 1 or 2 light strokes on the white ones)
I think I'll order some coarser rods, just to be prepared. What is your opinion on CBN vs. the Diamond rods? Is there any significant difference between them?

Anyways, since you've mentioned it, I can't wait for the Lil Native LW to release in all black, this should be a really discreet and nice EDC knife. I hope it will be available in Europe through a trustworthy dealer.
Last edited by Palestrina on Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Palestrina wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

i lose my mind every time i see someone else's nontron. they've been at the top of my most wanted list for at least half a decade now and the import prices are so steep i can never justify pulling the trigger, and they're never on sale. but there is simply nothing like them, i want at least 3 different models very badly. same with laguioles and swedish barrel knives

so to everybody east of the Treaty of Tordesillas line i see regularly posting about the difficulty of getting the knives you want, i empathize in reverse