Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Knifejoy Exclusive...Slysz Bowie??!!

Post by Bolster »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:57 am
apollo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:58 am
The bowie is definetly not the goat in my eyes.
Same here. I handled the original, and did not particularly like the wide blade with upswept belly. The whole design left me a bit underwhelmed to be honest, even though the execution and materials were nice. Different strokes for different folks.

I like the look of the bowie. But like you, the upswept belly just doesn't match my usage pattern. I'm much better off with a straighter blade edge. Still, I'd like one of these bowies for my sock drawer, if I could afford it.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Well, all this talk made me buy one.
Without the steel insert though. Beats having to pay for shipping and customs !

I'll see in which compartment of my sock drawer it belongs. Maybe it will go with my blue ones :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

@fixall: Thank you for your post #600. I hate to be the dummy in the room, but I am not clear on this situation.

1) You state that the pivot depth is more shallow on the 2nd gen. By "pivot depth," do you mean the length of the pivot screw itself?

2) The video shows that the PB Swiss 8 fits on the 1st gen (according to how you have identified the knives in the video). I thought the PB Swiss fit the 2nd gen and that the Wiha 8 fit the 1st gen.

I'd be grateful if you could clarify.

Note: I sent a message to Spyderco asking them to clarify the size of the pivot screw, but they never responded.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Sorry for not being clear.

By pivot depth, I meant how far you can insert a torx bit into the drive of the screw head. The 2nd gen is much more shallow so a Torx can’t be inserted deep enough for really good contact with the torx bit.

Both pivots are T8. The WIHA and PB Swiss bits both fit in the pivots of both knives. The PB Swiss just fits more snugly because the brand has tighter tolerances.
fixall

Post by fixall »

In my experience Spyderco rarely answers their emails unfortunately. You should have better luck if you call. I don’t know that they would be able to give you the information though. The gentleman that I talked to was under the impression that both pivots are the same.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

fixall wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm
Sorry for not being clear.

By pivot depth, I meant how far you can insert a torx bit into the drive of the screw head. The 2nd gen is much more shallow so a Torx can’t be inserted deep enough for really good contact with the torx bit.

Both pivots are T8. The WIHA and PB Swiss bits both fit in the pivots of both knives. The PB Swiss just fits more snugly because the brand has tighter tolerances.

Thank you so much for clarifying that.

So, what is Spyderco going to do when you return the knife? Replace the shallow 2nd gen pivot screw with a deeper 1st gen pivot screw?
fixall

Post by fixall »

I can’t imagine that they have pivots from the 1st gen, but who knows…

I requested that the pivot be removed, and replaced with a new one sans loctite, and was told that wouldn’t be a problem.

I imagine it will be the same 2nd gen pivot. The contact the t8 makes with the 2nd gen pivot should be plenty good enough if there’s no loctite though.
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

fixall wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

I requested that the pivot be removed, and replaced with a new one sans loctite, and was told that wouldn’t be a problem.

I imagine it will be the same 2nd gen pivot. The contact the t8 makes with the 2nd gen pivot should be plenty good enough if there’s no loctite though.

Understood.

Are you sure that the pivot screw is the only one with red Locktite? Or maybe they're replace all the screws as a matter of course . . . ?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I don't know if it's been said already but many people gave a feedback saying that T8 plus bits fits way more nugly in the pivot of this Bowie run.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I have all the other Slysz Spyderco designs, but was gonna pass on this because I figured it couldn't live up to the hype, and it's more than I like to spend on any knife. Glad I didn't pass. It's a wonderful knife, and I thank Knife Joy for keeping it alive.
Brian
fixall

Post by fixall »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm
fixall wrote:

Understood.

Are you sure that the pivot screw is the only one with red Locktite? Or maybe they're replace all the screws as a matter of course . . . ?
I actually hadn't checked the other screws until you posted that. :squinting-tongue

I just checked and all the other screws are fine. No loctite.
fixall

Post by fixall »

Ramonade wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm
I don't know if it's been said already but many people gave a feedback saying that T8 plus bits fits way more nugly in the pivot of this Bowie run.
I had read that too. I'm actually the guy on BladeForums that has been touting using Torx Plus bits on a lot of knife models for the past three years. :rofl

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/whi ... s.1547593/

A Torx 8 doesn't fit well either (at least on mine). It is much too snug and can't be inserted far enough to be effective.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

RGT is now selling screw sets for the Slysz Bowie. Not sure why, but here you go:

https://rippsgaragetech.com/collections/slyzs-bowie
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
fixall

Post by fixall »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm
RGT is now selling screw sets for the Slysz Bowie. Not sure why, but here you go:

That’s tempting. I dig titanium hardware and use RGT hardware (as well as BWL hardware) on a lot of my knives.

I really like the finish on the stock hardware though. I think I’ll see how Spyderco handles it first. Nice to know there is a backup option though!
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

fixall wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm
Mister Coffee wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm
fixall wrote:

Understood.

I actually hadn't checked the other screws until you posted that. :squinting-tongue

I just checked and all the other screws are fine. No loctite.

This red Locktite thing is really bothering me. But I don't feel like sending my knife anywhere. How is Spyderco going to get the screw out if we cannot?
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

Is it possible to buy these screws from Spyderco?
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've just received the one I found on the secondary (Knifejoy but first run). I'm glad I did not pass on that opportunity.
Before knowing if I wanted the Bowie or simply buy another CRK when I had the budget, I wanted to get the knife in hand.

A friend brought his knifejoy Bowie to the Amsterdam Meet and I wasn't feeling it much. Action was really not that good and the fact that the handle is wide made the contouring(that I was really interested in) hard to feel at all.

Even if the contouring thing is still the same, I can't bash on the action at all, mine is as glassy smooth as a broken in Seb 21. That's the kind of knife you'll end up slow rolling 90% of the time just to enjoy the ride :open-grin

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:36 am
I've just received the one I found on the secondary (Knifejoy but first run). I'm glad I did not pass on that opportunity.
Before knowing if I wanted the Bowie or simply buy another CRK when I had the budget, I wanted to get the knife in hand.

A friend brought his knifejoy Bowie to the Amsterdam Meet and I wasn't feeling it much. Action was really not that good and the fact that the handle is wide made the contouring(that I was really interested in) hard to feel at all.

Even if the contouring thing is still the same, I can't bash on the action at all, mine is as glassy smooth as a broken in Seb 21. That's the kind of knife you'll end up slow rolling 90% of the time just to enjoy the ride :open-grin

Looks beautiful Robin .Glad you are enjoying the Bowie .Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That is one beautiful blade.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

It is a good looking blade!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005