SPY27 and Rosewood

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
lorne

SPY27 and Rosewood

Post by lorne »

This is the first time I tried a Mule Team blade and I was so pleased with the result. I really like the blade shape & am a bit disappointed that recent offerings have rounded the back of the blade. I love my Maxamet Sage (like the newer shape), but I think I like the "pointy" Para 2 like shape more .
Picture of these for comparison.
comparison of two Spydercos
comparison of two Spydercos
Didn't see much data on SPY27 but having tried, I find that I like it a lot. Gets very sharp easily, and stays sharp longer than my S35VN.
Attached a shot of the construction.
Epoxy & brass
Epoxy & brass
And finished product.
I shaped it for my own hand respecting the shape of the original tang and that turned out to be a good shape.
A bit of Lignum natural finish & some polishing, and it feels nice in the hand.
Attachments
Finished
Finished
Tail end
Tail end
Finished other side
Finished other side
sal

Re: SPY27 and Rosewood

Post by sal »

Hi Lorne,

Welcome to our forum.

The regular Mule Team shape is more like the Sage in your picture. The Mule Team customers asked us to produce a Mule team model that would be available all of the time instead of just when the particular steel in offered. So we responded by making a mule Team model in SPY27, but we changed the shape to the straight spine to differentiate it from the regular Mules.

sal
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

Well done Lorne, also like the natural look of rosewood & welcome aboard..
... rule #9 ...
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Lorne,

Forgot to mention that your handle was exceptional. Sorry.

sal
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

Yes it really is pretty that handle. Welcome to the forums man. Not that I'm a veteran I'm new also. Amateur hour begins! :winking-tongue
You say E = mc² × I argue E² = m²c⁴ + p²c²
Jason Ward shockey01@gmail.com +1 412-726-8610 My Discord
Nottoby

Post by Nottoby »

Great job looks very expensive !
Nottoby

Post by Nottoby »

Thanks sal for the mule that all can afford and enjoy
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

Very nice handles! I had a question about working with rosewood. I read that it's an irritant on the skin/eyes, etc. any experience with that? Any precautions/advice?
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

bobartig wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:40 pm
Very nice handles! I had a question about working with rosewood. I read that it's an irritant on the skin/eyes, etc. any experience with that? Any precautions/advice?
I've heard of it with other hardwoods but no not really. I prefer synthetic materials so no personal experience.

If I'm doing my part of the sciences here, I'd do a contact test on your skin somewhere and see what happens. If you get any serious inflammatory reaction - I'd probably have to recommend full tyvek-type PE suits. I use them regardless because I don't trust what is in the Chinese "g10", it's been proven that thorium is in certain wearable electronic wristbands and such, even going through customs, and I'm slightly OCD.

Otherwise, unless your body is specifically sensitive to specific food or drug allergies I don't think that anything more than what you would use regardless (respirator/goggles that seal perhaps may be worth it, up to your own experience). If you do have such sensitivities I would highly not advise you to do a touch test without.. certain drugs on hand. Going even further, you could get tested for it medically but that's imo a little extreme. I have epinephrine and atropine and corticosteroids on hand because I'm a certified nerd and ya never know when it will come in handy.

I really don't want anything that I said to concern you, overall it's not gonna kill you. I promise.
Last edited by VeraX_Knives on Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Very nice Lorne!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
lorne

Post by lorne »

Thanks for the comments!
Nice to be here.

About sensitivity. No, I didn't notice any reaction with Rosewood, except when I was sanding with a #3000 spinning at 2000RPM. The very fine dust is bad for lungs (all dust is), which I noticed once when I forgot the mask. I usually keep a shopvac running and often wear a mask if I'm power sanding.
The fine dust was like smoke floating & gets in the eyes without something to suck it out of the air, hence a vac is important.
mooniesdl3

Post by mooniesdl3 »

Beautiful, very well done.
VeraX_Knives

Post by VeraX_Knives »

lorne wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:32 pm
Thanks for the comments!
Nice to be here.

The very fine dust is bad for lungs
(all dust is)
Actually it's a little bit more complicated than that. I could.. scientifically argue that dust is beneficial.