C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:17 pm
Are you interested in straight titanium or some kind of material on top of titanium?
That's an interesting question and one I hadn't really considered until now. If the base of the handle was titanium or titanium alloy and maybe use something really grippy on the surface to give the handle significantly more purchase that might be awesome the more I think about it.

I'm going to have to do some deep thinking on that. Because the possibilities could really be rewarding if done right.

I've loved Titanium handles ever since I got my Titanium Spyderco ATR model many years back. The feel of that handle really intrigued me a lot. I would not be opposed to using another type of material on the surface for more grip.
Stas

Post by Stas »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:05 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:17 pm
Are you interested in straight titanium or some kind of material on top of titanium?
That's an interesting question and one I hadn't really considered until now. If the base of the handle was titanium or titanium alloy and maybe use something really grippy on the surface to give the handle significantly more purchase that might be awesome the more I think about it.

I'm going to have to do some deep thinking on that. Because the possibilities could really be rewarding if done right.

I've loved Titanium handles ever since I got my Titanium Spyderco ATR model many years back. The feel of that handle really intrigued me a lot. I would not be opposed to using another type of material on the surface for more grip.
To keep it as close as possible to the original design, construction could be similar to SpyOpera with skeletonized full titanium liners and Micarta (or G10) scales.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I think I'd want just plain titanium handles if this were ever to pass. I know that it can be considered "boring", and titanium + micarta can look quite striking when done well. I just like the unassuming look of plain titanium. I do hope to see the return of the hollow grind if there ever is another run. That was my biggest "disappointment" of the current sprint. Still a wonderful knife regardless.

Edited to add that plain titanium (use whatever blasting medium you want) is so appealing to me because of the snail trails. I like the worn-in look, and whatever "design" appears will be unique to me.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:34 am
I think I'd want just plain titanium handles if this were ever to pass. I know that it can be considered "boring", and titanium + micarta can look quite striking when done well. I just like the unassuming look of plain titanium. I do hope to see the return of the hollow grind if there ever is another run. That was my biggest "disappointment" of the current sprint. Still a wonderful knife regardless.

Edited to add that plain titanium (use whatever blasting medium you want) is so appealing to me because of the snail trails. I like the worn-in look, and whatever "design" appears will be unique to me.
Whatever type of Titanium or Titanium alloy they used on that older Titanium ATR model was about the best overall Spyderco Ti handle that I can remember. Also I had a couple of those older Titanium Peter Herbst models over 10 years ago and those old Titanium Peter Herbst models also had a great grip factor as well. That too was a really grippy handle.

A bead blasted Titanium handle with an anodized coating could be a great idea for a handle on a C-60 model. It's a really good dream if nothing else.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well thanks to a great SPYDER-BROTHER I've gotten another Cruwear C-60 in full SE. This one is strictly a serrated "USER" and I gave my word that it wouldn't be drawing dust on any display shelf or locked away in a safe. So far this Cruwear Ayoob with TEETH has gone through every material I've used it on up till now with very little effort. It truly cuts through thick cardboard and other materials like a laser.

This full SE unit has a great SE pattern that sharpens up to an extremely wicked edge. It's already my all time favorite USER SE blade.

This unit is one of the full SE Sprint Run C-60 models with the funky grind on the tip area. But I can assure all of you that it sure doesn't hinder the overall performance. This Cruwear, Full SE C-60 has now become my top SE USER blade of my entire SE arsenal.

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! I hope to hear similar testimonies.
Catchadroppimgknife

Post by Catchadroppimgknife »

I don’t post much - just read a lot and enjoy all the experience and opinions posted here

However the Ayoob is one I got last year and it IS amazing. It fits my hand perfectly, fits well in my front right pocket, has an excellent action and yes cuts like a monster. It also gives me a good feeling of security when walking the sadly modern world city streets ….

I don’t understand the fuss over the serrations - might look different at the tip but man does it slice through everything. The scales needed a little smoothing on the belly (where my fingers wrap) but that’s all it needed - the rest was perfect. Heck if this is a second…. It’s one **** of a second.

One of the best Spydercos. Sadly not much else interest me because I found that one knife. Now perhaps I do need a plain edge Ayoob 😉- but for the moment I’m quite satisfied.

Kleon

Post by Kleon »

I like both the PE and the SE version a lot. If I had to choose I would go with the SE.

I also have a SE second. The serrations were overground so it resembles a wavy chisel grind plain edge in a way. Also has the snaggletooth. This thing cuts incredibly well and the action is superb. JD is correct in my opinion that this SE knife is flat out amazing in use.

We all owe JD and Sal a great debt in bringing us this latest C60. Well done gentlemen!!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Catchadroppimgknife wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:57 am
I don’t post much - just read a lot and enjoy all the experience and opinions posted here

However the Ayoob is one I got last year and it IS amazing. It fits my hand perfectly, fits well in my front right pocket, has an excellent action and yes cuts like a monster. It also gives me a good feeling of security when walking the sadly modern world city streets ….

One of the best Spydercos. Sadly not much else interest me because I found that one knife. Now perhaps I do need a plain edge Ayoob 😉- but for the moment I’m quite satisfied.
I can echo most everything the Brother has said. And I'm getting to the point to where if I had to pick just one Spyderco model to take with me in a survival situation the C-60 Ayoob would definitely be it.

I'm seeing more and more comments from guys who just simply love this C-60 Ayoob model for a wide range of reasons. The design covers so many bases and is so comfortable to use. And I do appreciate all of these well thought out responses. Brother I wish you a lot of enjoyment using your C-60 model. I'm sure you'll run into a PE model at some point. And I hope Spyderco does this model again in the not too distant future.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Kleon wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:03 am
I like both the PE and the SE version a lot. If I had to choose I would go with the SE.

I also have a SE second. The serrations were overground so it resembles a wavy chisel grind plain edge in a way. Also has the snaggletooth. This thing cuts incredibly well and the action is superb. JD is correct in my opinion that this SE knife is flat out amazing in use.

We all owe JD and Sal a great debt in bringing us this latest C60. Well done gentlemen!!
I've got to tell you Kleon that it's getting more and more difficult for me to pick between the SE & PE versions of this great model. But if I were to take up "Evil D's" challenge of going "SERRATED ONLY" I think I could do it with the serrated C-60 and especially this Cruwear version.

It truly sounds like you've run into the same "Fork In The Road" that I ran into a while back as far as which variant is your fav. They are both so nice to use.

And I want to thank this great Spyder-Brother with all my heart for his awesome support. Almost every time someone actually uses the C-60 Ayoob they become fans almost instantly.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

carried mine yesterday and i think i want some change... anyone know of a scale maker that makes ayoob scales? i did a search and didn't find any. not surprising since it's not a widespread model, but maybe someone knows of one?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Do you find the Ayoob scales feel thin?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:15 pm
Do you find the Ayoob scales feel thin?
i do, but it doesn't bother me really. i'm looking for more of an aesthetic change.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I considered making some scales after doing some for a Delica. But the thinness gives me pause. I’d work with wood as opposed to micaeta or G10. I bet some new scales would look good though.
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Anyone know the screw size for the clip screws? Or where I can buy some? (Besides spyderco customer service - i Contacted SFO 3 times over 3 weeks without response so I just want to take matters into my own hands at this point) bonus points for Torx drive instead of the worthless Phillips.

I think they are M2x0.25 x 4mm thread length but can anyone confirm this?

I measure the thread major diameter at .0765" [1.94mm] X .149" [3.78mm] thread length.
I see M2 comes in .25mm or .4mm pitch. It is hard to tell without a toolscope or comparator, but my naked eye/caliper combo seem to lean towards .25mm pitch.

Can anyone confirm or point me towards replacements I can buy?
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Spyderwebs wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:04 pm
Anyone know the screw size for the clip screws? Or where I can buy some? (Besides spyderco customer service - i Contacted SFO 3 times over 3 weeks without response so I just want to take matters into my own hands at this point) bonus points for Torx drive instead of the worthless Phillips.

I think they are M2x0.25 x 4mm thread length but can anyone confirm this?

I measure the thread major diameter at .0765" [1.94mm] X .149" [3.78mm] thread length.
I see M2 comes in .25mm or .4mm pitch. It is hard to tell without a toolscope or comparator, but my naked eye/caliper combo seem to lean towards .25mm pitch.

Can anyone confirm or point me towards replacements I can buy?
did you try calling? email seems to be a bad way to contact them, but i've never had issues contacting via phone.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Spyderwebs

Post by Spyderwebs »

Ive called thrice, and no one in warranty picks up or returns messages. Customer service picks up, but 2 people have said 'I dont know, contact warranty'. No emails have been replied to in 5 weeks.

Anyone have an M2x.4 screw they can try and thread in one of the empty clip holes?

Really Im just trying to decide is the screw pitch 0.4 or 0.25mm? Im trying not to buy 100 of each screw, as they are oddball sizes and I cant find a source for just 3 at a reasonable price.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:42 am
carried mine yesterday and i think i want some change... anyone know of a scale maker that makes ayoob scales? i did a search and didn't find any. not surprising since it's not a widespread model, but maybe someone knows of one?
Not sure if he's still on Bladeforums or not. But there used to be a guy over at Bladeforums who went by the name "Sketch" who had a great reputation for custom scales. I did a trade with him a few years back and he seemed to be a really stand up guy. I'm not sure he is still active on BF but you could try to pull up his forum name. I had heard from a couple of other members at BF that he did great work.

Also you might check with SFO and see if they have anyone listed that they could recommend. A few years back there was a guy who did custom work on many Spyderco models and his name was David Yellowhorse. I've seen many of his modified Spyderco models and I liked what I seen.