Is there a BYRD in your pocket??

Discuss Spyderco's byrd knives.
LordDisneyland

Re: Is there a BYRD in your pocket??

Post by LordDisneyland »

Byrd Crow 2 made a triumphant return during short holidays :)
Megatron9000

Post by Megatron9000 »

Wow! Very nice picture!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Megatron,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Megatron9000

Post by Megatron9000 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:15 pm
Hi Megatron,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Hi, Sal. Many thanks for your craft the fruits of which we sincerely enjoy.
A fine Byrd-owning experience makes me to contemplate an idea of getting a Spyderco now, just don't know exactly what to start from.
Once again, great work!
Megatron9000

Post by Megatron9000 »

These are mine, and I like them both. First choice is Robin, and second - Meadowlark. They both cut very well and can greatly handle day-to-day needs.
Alas, had to give away Hawkbill, which I found simply unsuitable for my daily stuff (almost cut myself while trying to peel the orange). Be it slightly bigger and curvier, would be great, I think (based on Harrier 2 would be ideal).
I liked G-10 with steel lining over superlight and blocky FRN (though it feels better with Spyderco models), black color is OK for me. Also discovered that SE, while being unusual to me and primal comparing to PE knives, is especially good with cable insulation, plants/flowers, plastic wrap and cardboard boxes. The lock works good, though it sticks a bit up on Meadowlark.
In general, the experience with Byrd knives is good.
Attachments
20230729_024621.jpg
LordDisneyland

Post by LordDisneyland »

@Megatron9000 - thank you :)
LordDisneyland

Post by LordDisneyland »

Backup blade of the day...great little knife.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

As is the Wharnie version.
holoblue

Post by holoblue »

I have a basic question, I am planning a camping with my son. Thinking about bringing a byrd Knife with me. Thinking about a wild bonfire, might chop some wood. My question is can i chop some branches with byrd knife or need something bigger like ruike knife?
lantan

Post by lantan »

Now there is a Byrd in my pocket!
Hello everyone, the Cara Cara is my second Byrd, after a Tern. Received it today and I am really happy with quality. It came perfect centered and yes, let's if we will be friends 😃
Attachments
IMG_20231027_142635.jpg
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Welcome to the forum! That's a nice color.
lantan

Post by lantan »

Bemo wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:27 pm
Welcome to the forum! That's a nice color.
Thank you Bemo, I like the color too. Now that I am using this knife since a few days, I must say, that the size is perfect for me. The handle is a bit harsh, but grippy. It feels, like it was always there, I get used to it very quick. Love it :smiling-hearts
z1r

Post by z1r »

lantan wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:46 am
Now there is a Byrd in my pocket!
Hello everyone, the Cara Cara is my second Byrd, after a Tern. Received it today and I am really happy with quality. It came perfect centered and yes, let's if we will be friends 😃
Love it. I picked up a Ti Cara Cara Saturday. What's not to like!!!!
dpg

Post by dpg »

I like Raven and Crow, but I find right-handed liner locks a little awkward in my left hand. Wish they came in mid back lock. For that reason, Meadowlark is most often in my pocket.
Switchback

Post by Switchback »

I've been rotating my Robins for the last few weeks. Such a great little knife!
Attachments
IMG_6808.JPG
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thought I'd share my Robin. I only had the Hawkbill and Wings Slipit until now. A friend gifted me the Robin so I had to make it special ! It used to be a G10 Robin.
Made some carbon fiber scales with a yellow-thingy overlay and changed most of the screws because they were not in a great shape. It already has an edge on it and is being used for a bit of everything at the workshop.

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
bohica1998

Post by bohica1998 »

Well, there is now. A Meadowlark Hawkbill SE. My first Byrd knife. :party-face

I've owned many Spyderco knives in the past and still have a small batch (around 15-18?), but I never got around to pulling the trigger on a Byrd (another deal on a Spyderco always seemed to pop up each time I thought about it! :winking-tongue )

I bought what I thought was a Crossbill on Ebay. What actually showed up was a Meadowlark Hawkbill SE. Not what I was expecting name-wise, but no matter. I wanted: 1) a Byrd knife; 2) that was a Hawkbill; 3) in FRN (or G-10). I got what I was looking for, the name is inconsequential. :smirk

My first thought was - a Tasman Salt or Merlin - the size looked about right. So, I got out my old Tasman Salt PE for comparison. Practically twins - or at least cousins - in shape. Cutting abilities remain to be seen.

Not sure if what I got was typical or not for the standard production run, but the back/side edges of the blade are rough, almost like they need to be deburred. Also, it is very stiff opening and hard closing, possibly it just needs breaking in. Positive, solid lock-up and very sturdy knife. It won't be my last Byrd. :beaming-face
18 :bug-red 's and counting so far... :winking-tongue
Current Inventory: C14SBK Rescue SE - C14SBL Rescue SE - C14PBK Rescue FG PE - C14SBK Rescue FG SE - C10PSGRWBK Endura USN CE Emerson Opener/Black Blade - LBK3HB Ladybug Hawkbill SE - C12SGY Matriarch SE G10 modded - C78PSBK Native 3 SE - C78PBK Native 3 PE - C41SBK Native 4 SE - C41PBBK Native 4 Black Blade PE - C41PSBBK Native 4 Black Blade SE - C77PYL SpyderHawk H1 PE - C106PYL Tasman Salt PE - C122GP Tenacious SE - BY22SBK Meadowlark Hawkbill SE - LGRP3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill PE - LGRS3HB USN Ladybug Hawkbill SE
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Switchback

Post by Switchback »

I saw the Gray Robin 2 on the 2024 Discontinued Knives list so I thought I better grab one. Glad I did.

I was a bit apprehensive about the latest bi-directional handle design because my other FRN Robins are all the older versions. When I got this one in my hands, I asked myself what the heck I was thinking. Sal wouldn't have changed to this design if he didn't think it was an improvement. And it is.

I love it!
Attachments
IMG_6865.JPG