"Putting" "words" "in" "quotation" "marks"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vivi

"Putting" "words" "in" "quotation" "marks"

Post by vivi »

Something I think is funny is how often words get put into quotation marks here, when they have no reason to be.

It's a weird trend I notice here that I don't notice anywhere else. :rainbow
:unicorn
Naperville

Re: "Putting" "words" "in" "quotation" "marks"

Post by Naperville »

Didn't you have a similar "thread" about a year ago?

:squinting-tongue
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:06 pm

I dunno, maybe.

I've just been seeing this happen with more frequency on general discussion. It's weird.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:06 pm

viewtopic.php?t=94730

;)

I’ve noticed it too but that is only one of the simple grammar mistakes I notice on here regularly. For the most part, I look past it because I know my grammar is not perfect either.

Also, I doubt it’s intentional. More often than not it is probably just an honest mistake.
Last edited by Mushroom on Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nick :bug-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If it is in a post of mine, I promise it is intentional. Most often I'm pointing out someone's misuse of a term, which happens more often than quotes around random words.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I do that in some of my posts. I post a lot more in Off-Topic than in General Discussion, so I don't know if my posts are among those this was noticed about.

When I put quotes around words or phrases, it is 100% intentional. Most of the times I've done it have been while posting in my own threads, which are most likely not among the most-read among forum members.

🙂

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I may use quotation marks unnecessarily in forums but if I wrote a serious paper I think that I'd know when and where to use them.

I was a decent student in college. I was asked by my instructor in an advanced English Lit course at my university to tutor a student athlete and help him get his homework done. Looking back, maybe I should have helped but I declined. I told him in front of the teacher I did not really believe in student athletes and that he had a decision to make, be a student or drop out.

I was an ice hockey jock in high school, and when I quit the high school team because it interfered with my homework and free time teachers gave me grief for not playing on the team. I was still playing on a traveling team and it was too much, I was burned out. I decided not to play any sports of any kind senior year. I could have lettered in 3 sports but decided athletics and scholastics did not work for me.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I didn’t mean typos. Are you guys saying you intentionally use quotation marks incorrectly?
-Nick :bug-red
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I never claimed to be a English Literature Scholar so I dunno.

But then I don't point out others mistakes in grammar because it is pathetic and petty to do so. :eye-roll

Some people need to get a life and look for other ways to inflate their ego. :eye-roll

People are people and they do make mistakes and or are not perfect. Life will go on, it's not the end of the world.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I don't go out of my way to watch my grammar and I will on occasion make up my own words. I never thought about the possibility of it bothering others. I don't intend on starting to worry now either. Not until someone is annoyed enough to start shooting in my direction. :)
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

It's a forum, not an essay 😉 Now what I do find annoying are people using air quotes 😡

PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:50 am
I don't go out of my way to watch my grammar and I will on occasion make up my own words. I never thought about the possibility of it bothering others. I don't intend on starting to worry now either. Not until someone is annoyed enough to start shooting in my direction. :)

If grammar on a forum bothers someone enough for them to mention it then they need therapy for sure. ;)

And a life.

And a new hobby. :rofl
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Ankerson wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:40 am

But then I don't point out others mistakes in grammar because it is pathetic and petty to do so. :eye-roll

Some people need to get a life and look for other ways to inflate their ego. :eye-roll

People are people and they do make mistakes and or are not perfect. Life will go on, it's not the end of the world.
"+1" 😎
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:50 am
"+1" 😎
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Although I try to punctuate correctly, I’m more interested in other people’s views than their grammar - up until the point where it affects my understanding of what they are trying to say.

PS. I’m not entirely convinced about Joe’s idea of shooting the slightly illiterate.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

PS. I’m not entirely convinced about Joe’s idea of shooting the slightly illiterate.
You might be surprised what being shot at can do for a mans character. :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Grammar? On a forum? That'll be the day!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:27 pm
Ankerson wrote:

"+1" 😎
“+2” 🤣
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am
You might be surprised what being shot at can do for a mans character. :)
I really laughed out loud when I read that Joe...
😆 🤣 😂
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

SaltyCaribbeanDfly wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:47 am
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:27 pm
Ankerson wrote:

"+1" 😎
“+2” 🤣
Hehehe 🤓