Plain edge 79 rescue?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Axlis

Plain edge 79 rescue?

Post by Axlis »

Does anyone else think that a plain edge 79 rescue would be awesome? I love the feel and look of my plain edge rescue(atlantic salt) but sometimes it seems a little big! Maybe Sal has one in the works for us, it'd be nice :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I am a great fan of plain edged blades in general, and plain edge, straight edge blade in particular. For almost every task I use a knife, a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade will work as well or better than any other shape. Have several PE versions of the Mariner, the ATS-55 C14 Rescue, the VG-10 Sprint Run C14 Rescue, and the Atlantic Salt. Would love a PE 79mm Rescue, and even more if it was done as a full flat ground blade.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Deacon

Was there ever a flatground rescue made?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Axlis wrote:Deacon

Was there ever a flatground rescue made?
No Axlis, no flat ground Rescues of any size, not yet anyway :o but I can still dream. :D

This is my "ultimate" C45, based on the all stainless version:

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER] :D :D
Paul
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Still a great design Deacon. Put serrations on the blade, H1 steel, G10 handles, adjustable pivot and I woud buy the knife in a heartbeat.
This would be another "perfect knife" for me. I think even more than a fully serrated Manix I ask about all the time.
Really a great blade design.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I forgot to check back on this post! :o Thanks for all the help guys
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I think the Kiwi 4 fits the bill; I've apparently been waiting on a 3 inch wharncliff with a choil for almost nine years now!
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I would buy a 79mm Rescue in PE but only in orange or black FRN...What I really would like is a sprint of the finger ramp 93mm Rescue/Atlantic (if H1) in a chartreuse FRN SE.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I really like Paul's design. I'd jump all over that if it was ever offered. Kind of reminds me of the Micro Dyad jigged bone.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

There was a Mariner model which is essentially a plain edge Rescue with a stainless handle. They pop up now and then on eBay and usually don't get too pricy. Not a bad option if you want a PE Rescue.
All God's critters have knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

zhyla wrote:There was a Mariner model which is essentially a plain edge Rescue with a stainless handle. They pop up now and then on eBay and usually don't get too pricy. Not a bad option if you want a PE Rescue.
True, there was the Paramedic version, and some later PE versions of the Mariner. There was even a Japanese Market PE version of the Mariner Salt. In addition to those, there were a couple PE versions of the C14/93mm Rescue and of the Atlantic Salt. However, all of those are considerably larger than the C45/79mm Rescue, which has never been offered in PE and which was the subject of this thread nine years ago and there's also never been a PE version of it's H-1 version, the Saver Salt.
Paul
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I would like one. I've mentioned it before. And I agree with the FFG for it because it's a thick blade.
- best wishes, Jazz.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I personally wish they would bring back the 93 with the finger indent on the top of the blade. I would settle for a PE 79 with the same indent. Blue frn too.
JD Spydo

SE RESCUE models are the BEST IMO

Post by JD Spydo »

I"m not at all knocking any of you guys who want a plain edged Rescue model but to me the RESCUE models perform so much better in full Spyderedge. The ASSIST I model I love so well is basically a RESCUE model with a glassbreaker and a whistle.

Also my most favorite of all the RESCUE models were the stainless handled versions from the late 90s. I've always been perplexed as to why the stainless RESCUE models never sold well like their FRN counterparts did.

Speaking of the RESCUE model my very first Spyder was a stainless handled, GIN-1 full Spyderedged Mariner model. I was blown away at how good it was. I think it's fair to say that the Mariner was a type of RESCUE model.

The BREEDEN RESCUE model was a super design and if you like plain edges I would recommend that one. I was highly disappointed that they never offered the BREEDEN RESCUE model in Spyderedge :confused: I think it would have sold extremely well in full SE. But I guess we'll never know now. I'll probably eventually get a PE Breeden RESCUE but I sure would like one of those in SE.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Axlis wrote:I think the Kiwi 4 fits the bill; I've apparently been waiting on a 3 inch wharncliff with a choil for almost nine years now!
Ha! Hope the wait was worth it, let us know your thoughts on the knife if you choose to purchase it :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Holland wrote:Ha! Hope the wait was worth it, let us know your thoughts on the knife if you choose to purchase it :)
I have the Kiwi 4 in pocket right now, and I absolutely love it! It is already in my top three carry, and really is more than enough knife by itself to handle any everyday cutting chore I encounter on a usual basis.

I've been too busy with studies to do a proper pic thread and review, but I'm looking forward to posting the obligatory "slice the a kiwi fruit with the Kiwi" photo shot :D
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I would love to have a 79 PE so I could do a wharncliffe mod to it. I recently purchased a new Rescue 3 and sent it to Big Chris who did a PE regrind on it and wharncliffed it's snout. He did a fantastic job on it. I need to get some pictures of my three wharncliff modded rescues and start a thread this weekend.

Deacon love your ultimate C45 I would buy one if Sal would make it for us.
JD Spydo

PE Rescue? What's The Advantage?

Post by JD Spydo »

Am I missing something here??? OK I know we all have different preferences as to what we think a knife should be>> and I'm in no way knocking PE Rescue models at all. But what would be the advantage in a sheepsfoot plain edged design? And like I said earlier wouldn't the recently discontinued Breeden Rescue model cover the same bases that a PE 79mm version would?

I do remember that they had a PE version of the Mariner at one time>> but I was told that it didn't sell well at all. And I'm also wondering what advantage a sheepsfoot blade has over a Wharncliffe?

Now one thing I wouldn't mind seeing would be a Dyad version of the Rescue model with a PE & SE bladed double folder. That I believe would be a mariner's dream knife.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

JD Spydo wrote:Am I missing something here??? OK I know we all have different preferences as to what we think a knife should be>> and I'm in no way knocking PE Rescue models at all. But what would be the advantage in a sheepsfoot plain edged design? And like I said earlier wouldn't the recently discontinued Breeden Rescue model cover the same bases that a PE 79mm version would?

I do remember that they had a PE version of the Mariner at one time>> but I was told that it didn't sell well at all. And I'm also wondering what advantage a sheepsfoot blade has over a Wharncliffe?

Now one thing I wouldn't mind seeing would be a Dyad version of the Rescue model with a PE & SE bladed double folder. That I believe would be a mariner's dream knife.
Hey, JD!

I may have mislead some when I resurrected this old thread, by intention was to show that I proposed a plain edge 79 mm Rescue almost nine years ago, and I believe that much needed niche has been filled by the Kiwi 4... or has it? :D

I would make it rain money (well, at least a short sprinkle) for a 79 mm Rescue in PE, but, I highly doubt there is enough market demand for that folder to ever come to light.

Personally, I've always been drawn to the looks of the sheepsfoot/wharncliffe blade style, especially the more sheeps-footish style of the Centofante 4. The straight edge is also my favorite for EDC, followed closely behind by a hawk bill, of course ;)

I've yet to try the Breeden Rescue in hand, but, it looks to be a bit large for my tastes.
JD Spydo

PE Stainless RESCUE?

Post by JD Spydo »

Axlis wrote:Hey, JD!

I may have mislead some when I resurrected this old thread, by intention was to show that I proposed a plain edge 79 mm Rescue almost nine years ago, and I believe that much needed niche has been filled by the Kiwi 4... or has it? :D

I would make it rain money (well, at least a short sprinkle) for a 79 mm Rescue in PE, but, I highly doubt there is enough market demand for that folder to ever come to light.

Personally, I've always been drawn to the looks of the sheepsfoot/wharncliffe blade style, especially the more sheeps-footish style of the Centofante 4. The straight edge is also my favorite for EDC, followed closely behind by a hawk bill, of course ;)

I've yet to try the Breeden Rescue in hand, but, it looks to be a bit large for my tastes.
Like I said in an earlier post on this thread my favorite of all the RESCUE type blades that the Great Spyder Factory bestowed upon us is the stainless handled Rescue models out of the ATS-55 era ( late 90s)>> I have no idea as to whether the stainless RESCUE was ever available in plain edge or not because all of the stainless RESCUE models I had were all Spyderedged. I still own one which is ATS-55 and Spyderedged and it's a tank of a knife. It is probably one of the top 3 most ridgid Spyders I've ever owned.

AXLIS Brother if you could find one of those in plain edge I think you would be elated and would probably immediately make it your main EDC.

By the way where have you been hiding all this time :D ??? Also have you seen the Des Horn model that they have in the main line up? That model might just be your cup of tea because it's one of the best PE Wharnies I've seen in a while. Good to have you back my friend :)