How Shelac is made

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

How Shelac is made

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is a good video that shows how shelac is made and how it gets its name.

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Re: How Shelac is made

Post by Naperville »

Doh! I emailed that to my clique. The things we eat....
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Thanks. That video has been in my YouTube suggestions, but I didn't watch it until just now. I like the Business Insider videos. Shellac intrigues me, but I've not used it on anything since I was a little kid. How do you think it would work out on wood scales for my next Mule?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:05 pm
Thanks. That video has been in my YouTube suggestions, but I didn't watch it until just now. I like the Business Insider videos. Shellac intrigues me, but I've not used it on anything since I was a little kid. How do you think it would work out on wood scales for my next Mule?
I don't know if it is durable enough for a knife handle that would get used. It isn't like lacquer or polyurethane. Still, it would look really good.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:12 pm
I don't know if it is durable enough for a knife handle that would get used. It isn't like lacquer or polyurethane. Still, it would look really good.

I know! But it's so "old school" that it's hard to resist. Most of my wood projects are finished in natural finishes: linseed oil, tung oil, wax, old motor oil, or whatever else strikes my fancy at the time. So many materials and finishes, so little time...
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

RustyIron wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:27 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:12 pm

I know! But it's so "old school" that it's hard to resist. Most of my wood projects are finished in natural finishes: linseed oil, tung oil, wax, old motor oil, or whatever else strikes my fancy at the time. So many materials and finishes, so little time...
Well then, it doesn't get more natural than bug poop. I'd say go for it. It would look great.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050