Triangle rods vs new Profile Stones as travel sharpeners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JayHenMac

Triangle rods vs new Profile Stones as travel sharpeners

Post by JayHenMac »

I am looking for options for backpacking/camping/travel sharpeners. There are foldable options, mini systems, stone pouches, and a plethora of other options out there that I have been looking at. Today, I throw a brown or cbn rod in my pack. The angle doesn't need to be exact because we are talking about maintaining an edge while away from my workbench. I have both SE and PE knives so the triangle rod just makes sense. What is the advantage of the new profile stones over carrying the standard triangle rods?

What do you folks use as travel sharpeners? What are your thoughts on the new profile stones?
WilliamMunny

Re: Triangle rods vs new Profile Stones as travel sharpeners

Post by WilliamMunny »

I use the Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener. It is diamond (coarse/fine), ceramic rod for SE, leather strop and guides to give you a rough angle.

It would not hurt my feelings if Spyderco made something like this.

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/ben ... sharpener/
IMG_5626.jpeg
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:01 am
I use the Worksharp Guided Field Sharpener. It is diamond (coarse/fine), ceramic rod for SE, leather strop and guides to give you a rough angle.

https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/ben ... sharpener/

IMG_5626.jpeg
I have one as well and generally enjoy it. I wish the rod intended for serrated knives was a little different. I find that when i carry a fully serrated knife, the field sharpener isn't useful.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharpmaker rods are great on their own. Easy to carry, nice for a quick touch up in the woods whether you have a PE or SE blade. I have a random brown and white rod right at my desk at work in case I feel the need to touch up or have a friends knife at work that might need a little love.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:11 am
Sharpmaker rods are great on their own. Easy to carry, nice for a quick touch up in the woods whether you have a PE or SE blade. I have a random brown and white rod right at my desk at work in case I feel the need to touch up or have a friends knife at work that might need a little love.
This is my current solution. What do you think about the Profile Stones that are coming soon? Think they will have any advantage over just the standard sharpmaker rods?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've carried different field sharpeners but at the end of the day I've never really come across situations where I needed them. Maybe if I hunted more. I can spend all day in my woods clearing trails with my Dogfather etc. and it'll keep going until I get home.
:unicorn
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JayHenMac wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:19 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:11 am
This is my current solution. What do you think about the Profile Stones that are coming soon? Think they will have any advantage over just the standard sharpmaker rods?
I honestly don't know about these profile stones, first I've heard of them. I've been slowly backing out of the hobby, I'm not too up to date on some things apparently. I just can't think of a simpler option than a couple of rods to-go.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JayHenMac wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:07 am
WilliamMunny wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:01 am
I have one as well and generally enjoy it. I wish the rod intended for serrated knives was a little different. I find that when i carry a fully serrated knife, the field sharpener isn't useful.
Same here.

I like mine for PE knives or even hatchets, but not so much for SE.

At home the Sharpmaker imo is a better choice anyway.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I rarely need to sharpen on the go, but when I do it is normally for plain edges. I then carry DMT Diafolds (C & F), and a short round ceramic rod.

I like the Profile stones as freehand stones in the sharpening arsenal. I bought the originals before they were discontinued many years ago. They are slightly longer than the SM stones (+- 204 mm vs 175 mm). I will likely get the new coarse CBN one eventually to complete the set.

Large and small radii for serrations if that is important to you, but triangle rods would also work. The Profile stones have a slightly larger flat area for PE.

The leather pouch is a nice addition to keep them from chipping and breaking while travelling. If I had to choose between the Profile or triangle stones for travelling, I’d pick the former.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JayHenMac

Post by JayHenMac »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:16 pm
I rarely need to sharpen on the go, but when I do it is normally for plain edges. I then carry DMT Diafolds (C & F), and a short round ceramic rod.

I like the Profile stones as freehand stones in the sharpening arsenal. I bought the originals before they were discontinued many years ago. They are slightly longer than the SM stones (+- 204 mm vs 175 mm). I will likely get the new coarse CBN one eventually to complete the set.

Large and small radii for serrations if that is important to you, but triangle rods would also work. The Profile stones have a slightly larger flat area for PE.

The leather pouch is a nice addition to keep them from chipping and breaking while travelling. If I had to choose between the Profile or triangle stones for travelling, I’d pick the former.
Thank you for the pictures! I was unaware that they were previously available. I didn't realize they were shaped like that. They look useful.
R100

Post by R100 »

The triangle stones work fine but I worry about breaking them. I have used a Double Stuff 2 since they came out and I love it. In my work I spend a couple of months every year camping and working in remote areas so I do plenty of field sharpening. I carry both plain edge and serrated knives and the Double Stuff 2 is great on both. The CBN side is good for toothy edges and the white ceramic side cuts well enough to keep finer plain edges razor sharp and works really well to maintain high sharpness on SE knives I have in H1, LC200N, Magnacut, VG10, Cruwear and K390. I load the leather pouch with 3 micron Gunny Juice and it makes a totally adequate strop. Another really well thought out bit of gear from Spyderco.

Dan
olywa

Post by olywa »

Thanks for the Profile stone pics! Has anyone got an update on when we can expect them?