Roadie: Tell Me About This Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mister Coffee

Roadie: Tell Me About This Knife

Post by Mister Coffee »

Thinking about a gift for a friend who has weird tastes and likes weird things. The Roadie is wins a lot of points for "weird" in the Spyderco lineup.

Questions:

1) Do you enjoy owning and using this knife?

2) Do you think of it as having a particular application? In other words, what is it good at?

3) Does it cut?

4) For approx. $63.00, what knife do you think is a better choice?

Thanks.
yablanowitz

Re: Roadie: Tell Me About This Knife

Post by yablanowitz »

I have two, but I seldom use them. They are small knives, and I have size XXL hands, so I have a bit of trouble using them. They are non-locking and not pointed since they were designed for airline travel when the FAA was considering lifting the ban. They are nice little cutters for routine tasks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have two or three. They are my go to package opening knives. The point doesn't allow the blade to go too deep into the package. It is overly thick for such a small knife, but I like the shape and the pinch opening. It cuts okay, but not as good as a Ladybug or a Manbug or a Jester.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I love mine, between the Roadie’s and Urban’s they are the only ones I pocket carry in dress pants due to the small profile.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

It is neutered by design and unless you need a knife to meet those legalities I would go with a Manbug or a Ladybug Hawkbill
JackRussell

Post by JackRussell »

I bought one just to have a "Made in Italy" Spyderco. It sits in my desk drawer and is occasionally used as a letter opener.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

@Mister Coffee Don’t let anyone convince you it’s not a capable knife.

This pumpkin was carved primarily with the Roadie.

It’s as much a Spyderco as any other and it’s a big part of their history in my opinion.

It’s the first and only knife to feature Sals ingenious solution to a new type of nail nick - the “Double Dent!” Unfortunately, Spyderco wasn’t able to attain a patent for the “Double Dent” concept so we have yet to see it used beyond the Roadie design.

Personally, I love the double dent!!! It is such a perfectly elegant solution for a unique form of nail nick while also using Spyderco’s very distinctive “round hole” design language... it’s just perfection! I can’t emphasize enough just how ingenious the Spyderco double dent is!

To answer your questions -
1. I almost feel obligated to own at least one Roadie! (Reasons above) I do enjoy using it too. I’ve found it plenty capable for basic EDC use, which leads to your second question.

2. It’s a good EDC knife if you want something small, non threatening, and easy to carry. It has a thick blade stock but it still cuts just fine. I also found the 90° spine to be useful for scraping.

3. Of course it cuts - it a Spyderco! :respect ;)

4. The Roadie is a great choice in that budget range for someone with weird taste but if you’re not totally convinced, the Astute is kind of an unconventional design that your friend might like. The Dogtag folders might be another gift option but they are a little bit above the $63 budget.
-Nick :bug-red
Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

@Mushroom That's a terrific post and a terrific endorsement, 'Shroomy. Thank you!

By the way, that's some kind of pumpkin carving. I've never seen anything like it. And I consider myself a carved pumpkin aficionado since Halloween is my favorite time of year. Christmas is pretty good, too, but it all begins with October. Anyway, hats off to you, sir.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:58 pm
@Mister Coffee Don’t let anyone convince you it’s not a capable knife.

This pumpkin was carved primarily with the Roadie.

It’s as much a Spyderco as any other and it’s a big part of their history in my opinion.

It’s the first and only knife to feature Sals ingenious solution to a new type of nail nick - the “Double Dent!” Unfortunately, Spyderco wasn’t able to attain a patent for the “Double Dent” concept so we have yet to see it used beyond the Roadie design.

Personally, I love the double dent!!! It is such a perfectly elegant solution for a unique form of nail nick while also using Spyderco’s very distinctive “round hole” design language... it’s just perfection! I can’t emphasize enough just how ingenious the Spyderco double dent is!

To answer your questions -
1. I almost feel obligated to own at least one Roadie! (Reasons above) I do enjoy using it too. I’ve found it plenty capable for basic EDC use, which leads to your second question.

2. It’s a good EDC knife if you want something small, non threatening, and easy to carry. It has a thick blade stock but it still cuts just fine. I also found the 90° spine to be useful for scraping.

3. Of course it cuts - it a Spyderco! :respect ;)

4. The Roadie is a great choice in that budget range for someone with weird taste but if you’re not totally convinced, the Astute is kind of an unconventional design that your friend might like. The Dogtag folders might be another gift option but they are a little bit above the $63 budget.
Stellar answer Nick 👊 and that pumpkin looks awesome!!! I throw the Roadie in my pocket from time to time and it’s a great little knife, so unique and a good letter opener…it’s different which is 🆒 👏
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm not super familiar with the roadie, but here are a couple of alternatives.

The urban I think is similar in price, another small slip joint and a better slicer. Not as weird though.

The astute is a good bit larger but similar in price, a lot of knife for the money. It's more "normal" while still a bit unconventional. It's probably a better slicer than the roadie but not as much so as the urban. It had a locking blade of it makes a difference.

I was gonna say the cricket is a good, weird small knife, but I think it costs a bit more.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:39 pm
In other words, what is it good at?
I think it was intended more for youths wasn’t it? Most of Spyderco’s other offerings are better at everything than the Roadie. By that I mean it’s sort of a traditional style slip joint and Spyderco was founded on making knives that exceed the traditional style design.

In other words, while I’m sure the Roadie is well made, a Delica will always blow it out of the water for actually using it.

I’m really loving the Astute these days. It is better than most Spyderco’s that I’ve owned.
sal

Post by sal »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:39 pm
I have two, but I seldom use them. They are small knives, and I have size XXL hands, so I have a bit of trouble using them. They are non-locking and not pointed since they were designed for airline travel when the FAA was considering lifting the ban. They are nice little cutters for routine tasks.
This is correct. I designed the model while in Germany for the IWA show. At the time, Europe was issueing new rules for knife carry on airlines and the US was considering the same rules. Ultimately the Pilots and Flight Attendants Union nixed the idea of allowing any knives on airplanes. We went ahead with the design mostly for European air travel, to compete with the Swiss Army model.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:22 pm

This is correct. I designed the model while in Germany for the IWA show. At the time, Europe was issueing new rules for knife carry on airlines and the US was considering the same rules. Ultimately the Pilots and Flight Attendants Union nixed the idea of allowing any knives on airplanes. We went ahead with the design mostly for European air travel, to compete with the Swiss Army model.

sal
That’s cool. Weren’t the Navigator and Copilot knives also designed to meet some (defunct) FAA or TSA rules? Those are some of the coolest of the small Spyderco’s. I still have a Copilot, and I’m surprised at what they go for these days.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

1) Do you enjoy owning and using this knife?
Yes. It is a great keychain knife with a robust blade that is shaped for good utility and performance. It also offers a full grip and plenty of security with the choil.

2) Do you think of it as having a particular application? In other words, what is it good at?
General EDC tasks for the average user.

3) Does it cut?
Absolutely

4) For approx. $63.00, what knife do you think is a better choice?
Depends on what you are looking for in your cutting tool. Compact (sub 2.5" blade), non-locking, two-hand opener? 100%
Bang for the buck, you could go with the Astute (10/10 recommended) or a Byrd series knife. That said, you can find it for less than $63 right now.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.