Can we get some Ultem scaled Sekis please?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
WilliamMunny

Re: Can we get some Ultem scaled Sekis please?

Post by WilliamMunny »

I am still a big fan of natural wood scales. Probably not the best for a hard use knife and they tend to be a bit slick. G10 and FRN work better in hand than wood, but wood sure look good.
IMG_0024.jpeg
I am sure there is a place for Ultem, but everyone has their priorities.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

found this with my googler... :star-struck

i'd want some sort of machined texture like this rather than smooth.

Last edited by steelcity16 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Standy made Ultem handles for his Mule. Very nice!

link to Mule thread: viewtopic.php?t=91476

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

See thru urine plastic as knife scales? It’s a unique taste I’ll give it that
:bug-red-white
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, I personally think it looks nice or at least can be made to look nice as far as I can see.
And according to Nick (post in this very thread) there are more color options.

Can't tell how good or not it would hold up as a handle material and I think actually not a Seki knife, but the Chaparral would be the no 1 candidate to test the material (since this is the model meant to be a platform for displaying various handle materials.
That furthermore to me it is one of the best small folders ever does not hurt of course... ;) )
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:30 am

Can't tell how good or not it would hold up as a handle material and I think actually not a Seki knife, but the Chaparral would be the no 1 candidate to test the material (since this is the model meant to be a platform for displaying various handle materials.

I had original hoped for a Delica in this material, but I think a Chap is a great idea if the Delica isn't an option. I would love to see Cruwear as the steel for either option if this does actually happen.
Eliteone2383

Post by Eliteone2383 »

I'm a vaper and use high end mechanical mods. Ultem is used a lot in the vaping industry. I'd love to see it used more in the knife industry. A Ultem delica with anything above s30v I'd buy 2 of. I think the knife industry is missing out on a lot of money not making ultem a option more often.
Stay sharp!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:44 am
dang, not much love for ultem in this group! i think it looks great personally. i love the color. i mean look at these knives!?! :smiling-heart-eyes

That is a nice collection.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:23 am

That is a nice collection.

I stole that pic from the interwebs, but yes, it is collection of nice looking knives! I only really like Spyderco folders, so I dont have any ultem knives personally at the moment.
phaust

Post by phaust »

There's a reason you never see a used knife pic with it, including in this thread. It scratches and looks horrible (not what you want for a transparent material), and it cracks easily. For example:

Protected inlays could work. You really don't want full scales with it on a knife that will get used.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

^^ That's a bummer. Perhaps that was due to inferior Chinese PEI being used instead of the actual Ultem brand of PEI? I agree that it should definitely be stress tested before being considered for any production folder, because that is pretty concerning.

Maybe the dream was over before it started.

Since I can't get Ultem, how about that Dodo-fly I've been asking for for years?? :rofl Or a Cru-carta Delica Wharnie??
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

phaust wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:25 am
There's a reason you never see a used knife pic with it, including in this thread. It scratches and looks horrible (not what you want for a transparent material), and it cracks easily. For example:

Protected inlays could work. You really don't want full scales with it on a knife that will get used.

I agree with phaust. I've seen other Ultem scales on the internet with similar cracking issues - all at the same location, either a pivot hole or a screw hole. It would seem that Ultem has a tendency to fail at those points.

It would seem that using this material would only lead to many customer complaints down the road.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

^^^ That doesn't sounds promising. Maybe best to scrap this idea. I still think it is a great looking material. I like the piss color. It reminds of the translucent brown soles on my late 90s Dr Martens.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

zhyla wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:50 am

It’s a common material. You can find it all over but here’s a McMaster Carr link.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/ultem-sheets/
Strange. Although it says

"Temperature Range: -20° to 335° F",

it also says

"For Use Outdoors: No".

Hmmmmmm. There must be a big downfall somewhere here. Maybe UV negatively affects it? Doesn't sound good.
Paul Ardbeg

Post by Paul Ardbeg »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:52 am
phaust wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:25 am

I agree with phaust. I've seen other Ultem scales on the internet with similar cracking issues - all at the same location, either a pivot hole or a screw hole. It would seem that Ultem has a tendency to fail at those points.

It would seem that using this material would only lead to many customer complaints down the road.
Thank you, I think we can close this thread now and never bring up Ultem again 😂😉
PM2 Crucarta, Manix 2 lw s110v, Manix 2 blackout, Shaman, Tenacious, GB1, GB2, Smock, Kapara, Native 5 s90v, Chaparral cts-xhp faceted Ti, Para 3 blackout flytanium scales. PM2 M390 DLT exclusive, Caly 3 Superblue sprint run, Police PE ATS-55, Mcbee, Caly 3.5 ZDP189 CF, PM2 Maxamet, Millitary CF s90v sprint run, Lil' Native CF s90v sprint run, Mule CPM Rex T15, Spydiechef, Amalgam.

MNOSD member #0052

***Memento mori, memento vivere***
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:16 pm
^^^ That doesn't sounds promising. Maybe best to scrap this idea. I still think it is a great looking material. I like the piss color. It reminds of the translucent brown soles on my late 90s Dr Martens.

Well, then... what actually IS with Seki FRCP? :smirk

Could / would they do it?
It is Translucent, just like Ultem (or a bit less? Can´t tell) but proved to be a really strong and perfect handle material (in my and certainly 10 000 more Manix LWs... ;) )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

Well, then... what actually IS with Seki FRCP? :smirk

Could / would they do it?
It is Translucent, just like Ultem (or a bit less? Can´t tell) but proved to be a really strong and perfect handle material (in my and certainly 10 000 more Manix LWs... ;) )

Piss colored FRCP?? Now we are talking! In all seriousness, if they could get some Ultem/PEI samples and color match some translucent FRCP to it, that would work too.

"Piss FRCP Delica Wharnie". Sound like a winner!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:18 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:52 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Piss colored FRCP?? Now we are talking! In all seriousness, if they could get some Ultem/PEI samples and color match some translucent FRCP to it, that would work too.

"Piss FRCP Delica Wharnie". Sound like a winner!!

... I think some feared that the Magnacut Manix LW would feature just that... :smirk (but as we know it did not in the end...)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Well, we could make roadside apple juice colored G10
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for sharing your thoughts. I also got a bunch of info from Brian H. Seems to be pretty controversial. I guess I'll watch the thread.

sal