SALT Liners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: SALT Liners

Post by James Y »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:45 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:21 pm
JSumm wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:07 am
James Y wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:17 pm
Kind of a bummer for me, because a PM2 Salt has been a dream knife to me for quite awhile now, but oh, well.
Hey Jim, don't let those scales detour you from your dream knife. There are so many great aftermarket scales that are fantastic. Even just in plain G10. Micarta of course. And AWT has a single liner delete aluminum scales that have excellent contouring. None of which should remove the salt worthiness of this knife.

Thanks, Jeff.

Yes, you are right. I just wish that the original factory scales had a pocket-friendly texture at the clip contact spot. That might be something to be considered in designing handle texture patterns for future models.

Jim
Agreed, Spyderco usually nails that part of the design. Why it is so hard to switch the standard clip on FRN models. The clip feels great in hand and perfectly hits the smooth spot.

I recently picked up a Protech Malibu. The textured aluminum has phenomenal texture for grip, but they thought ahead and built in a smooth pad for the clip. Reminded me of Spyderco's FRN models.

That sounds like a great feature on that Pro-Tech.

Yes, hopefully Sal and Spyderco will consider this more in designing future special G10 texture patterns (for Salts in particular). Having a rough-textured contact spot for the clip is similar to having an excellent fixed blade knife with a poorly-designed sheath.

BTW, this was not intended as a criticism of Sal or Spyderco, so hopefully it won't be taken as such.

Jim