Got this email about the Emerson CQC - 7, Ernie smiled, and share his philosophy.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
akapennypincher

Got this email about the Emerson CQC - 7, Ernie smiled, and share his philosophy.

Post by akapennypincher »

Last edited by akapennypincher on Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Re: Got this email about the Emerson CQC - &, Ernie smiled his guts.

Post by cabfrank »

Huh?
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Thanks, Pincher. Indeed, interesting. I got 1/2 way through then skimmed the rest. He has many good points regarding the design of the knife, but the tone of the article is way off base. The CQC-7 is by now an industry icon, but the article acts as if it's a fledgling design. Not so much "celebrating" as "defending".
- Richard
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I read it nothing in it that surprised me . I like Emerson knive and glad they offer lefty models . I just received got an email of restock of some lefty knives . I’m not really a Wave fan and to have it removed was around a $45 charge so I passed . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The CQC-7 was a good knife for the time. I still have a Benchmade version that predates the obsession with the flippy-wavy appendage. It's nice. I would carry it today if Spyderco didn't offer designs that were far more ergonomic and useful. The whole problem with the original CQC-7 is that it's made by Emerson. Where other manufacturers have failed, Emerson has perfected the liner lock that is tight to operate and sticks more securely than any of their competitors. For those folks who are intending to time-travel back to the 1980's when tactical knives couldn't be ordered on the internet and delivered the next day, look no further than the CQC-7.

Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I bought a Benchmade CQC-7 back around '95. I was an Army Medic in the Reserves getting ready to go Active Duty, and I'd just finished the book "Rogue Warrior". I still liked my Delica, and carried it a bit, but the CQC-7 felt more substantial. I could get away with a little more abuse with the design than I could with my Delica. It became one of my main EDCs during my time in, and I still have it. I ended up getting an Emerson version with a wave and a V chisel grind. I like the design, and there is a familiarity of it in my hand.

All that said, if I was a soldier today, I'd be looking at a whole lot of other knives for what they are charging.
akapennypincher

Re: Got this email about the Emerson CQC - &, Ernie smiled .

akapennypincher wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:51 am
https://emersonknives.com/uncategorized ... fe-affair/

Intresting read.
akapennypincher

Re: Got this email about the Emerson CQC - 7, Ernie smiled, and share his philosophy.

Well Mr. Emerson is leader, not follower. From his sharing of thoughts he don't play follow leader, he plays ideas. He like Sal of Spyderco have following of fans.

Mr. Emerson knives for most part are not pretty, finished to perfection, and some say a little crude. They are working, and knife designed for life & death situations.

Couple of time a year Emerson does release some limited edition, the price for these at auction is crazy more then I would spend. But they all fetch high prices, and each one is crafted by Mr. Emerson personally.
twinboysdad

Re: Got this email about the Emerson CQC - 7, Ernie smiled, and share his philosophy.

Post by twinboysdad »

I like Emerson’s as about an $85 knife. If that’s what they cost I would own a few. I sold all the ones I had but like the Elvia a good bit
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I have a few Emersons. The ones I have never held an edge very well in my normal use, in spite of his claims about hard use. I moved on years ago.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Emersons are strange. 154CM and hrc of 57-59, and charging north of $197 or more depending on the model.

It seems quite ironic that in the article, he seems to be an avid proponent of change, yet his materials and designs are stuck in time, left behind by much better and more value-for-money knives.

The only Emersons I would buy are the Kershaw-made ones, and those are truly worth more than what you pay for them.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet