The Astute

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CDEP

Re: The Astute

Post by CDEP »

I love my Astute and carry it frequently. But, I had to shave some off the tip to bring it under 3" and legal in Los Angeles. Not a big deal, as I have the tools to do it.

If it ever got a CQI I'd love to see it with a blade at 2.98" and a black wire clip. I think that would increase sales.

I'm fine with the 8Cr on this knife, but if it were ever done in M4 I'd buy one so fast I'd bend spacetime.
Brian
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

CDEP wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:19 pm
If it ever got a CQI I'd love to see it with a blade at 2.98" and a black wire clip. I think that would increase sales.
One of the qualities of the Astute is the insane edge to handle ratio. I think it would be a shame to change that for legal reasons (where I live I can't carry ANY locking Spyderco). I really like using every mm of that edge, even went through the trouble of sharpening the little unsharpened bit in front of the ricasso...
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

benja-man wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:46 pm
CDEP wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:19 pm
One of the qualities of the Astute is the insane edge to handle ratio. I think it would be a shame to change that for legal reasons (where I live I can't carry ANY locking Spyderco). I really like using every mm of that edge, even went through the trouble of sharpening the little unsharpened bit in front of the ricasso...
I agree, but to make it legal in a lot of US metro areas you'd have to shave about a millimeter or so off. If it wasn't so close I wouldn't have bought one, as I don't need a 3.25" dress blade for home use. So out of the box under 3" - even if 2.99 like the Small Sebenza, would likely make it sell better, and the impact on most (not you, and you have my sympathy) would be negligible.
Brian
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

CDEP wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 pm

I agree, but to make it legal in a lot of US metro areas you'd have to shave about a millimeter or so off. If it wasn't so close I wouldn't have bought one,
30 seconds with a file solves this kind of problem.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:27 am
CDEP wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:08 pm

I agree, but to make it legal in a lot of US metro areas you'd have to shave about a millimeter or so off. If it wasn't so close I wouldn't have bought one,
30 seconds with a file solves this kind of problem.

This.

I am sorry for those who have to live with blade length restrictions, but it is quite easy to do something about that if it has to be done.

... While great edge to handle ratio is not something that can be found in too many Spydies, I´d actually like to see more models offering just that, but at least keep the ones that do exist like they are to the fullest possible extent.
This cause one can´t really ADD blade length, right?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
benja-man

Post by benja-man »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:39 am
This cause one can´t really ADD blade length, right?
This was my thought as well.
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

I file back any 3" blade I want to carry away from home to make it legal here in LA. As I said in an earlier post, it's not a big deal for me. I have the tools.

But, as the Astute is a Value Folder, the market likely includes buyers who are not hopeless geeks like us who own 3 different sharpening systems and are willing to mod our blades. For those buyers, a 3.1" blade will get a pass if they live in a sub-3" jurisdiction.

If one can legally carry a 3.1" blade, then a knife with a larger blade is gonna be an option. I don't see the benefit of 0.1" extra edge as outweighing the loss of sales.

The better the Astute sells the more likely we are to get steel variants.
Brian
zhyla

Re: The Astute on the Rocks

Post by zhyla »

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Can anyone tell me what clip the Astute is using?

At first blush it looks like the standard 3 hole with lanyard whole as seen on the Delica family (6.8mm spacing between the outer holes).

But it’s not. It’s 8.5mm between outer holes and the top hole is offset 2.5mm. There’s a hole for a lanyard but the Astute doesn’t have a lanyard hole under the clip. Which makes me think it must be a clip from another model. All the other Value Line products use a different clip (lanyard in center of 3 holes).

Spyderco brain trust, what say you?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The Astute is curvy and rounded like the female body. I imagine that is why it feels feminine. It lacks points and hard angles (except for the blade tip) unlike many other Spyderco designs. I know, Captain Obvious, right?

I like the edge to handle ratio, too. Lots of utility in a compact package
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Isn't the hole in the clip just so you can access the pivot screw if you carry right hand tip down?
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

mikey177 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:49 pm
Isn't the hole in the clip just so you can access the pivot screw if you carry right hand tip down?
🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Yes, yes it is.

Ok so they did a new clip pattern just for the Astute? I’m surprised but glad.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

It could be a new clip pattern for the Atute, which Spyderco could still use on future models of this size.
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

The spacing of the outer two holes is close enough to Benchmade's that I'm using a two-screw Benchmade-pattern deep carry clip from MXG Gear on mine. (The middle screw position is not the same as Benchmade, so don't expect non-deep carry to work.)
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Skywalker wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:19 am
The spacing of the outer two holes is close enough to Benchmade's that I'm using a two-screw Benchmade-pattern deep carry clip from MXG Gear on mine. (The middle screw position is not the same as Benchmade, so don't expect non-deep carry to work.)
Thanks for the tip. This one?

https://mxggear.com/collections/benchma ... -knives-14
Matus

Post by Matus »

I just tried to put my (long hibernated) MXG clip that was sold as for Manix XL and PM2 (I used to use with my the Brouwer back when I still had mine - it was great fit), but it would not work straight away as the distance between the screws on the Astute is a little larger than the holes in the clip. but I am pretty sure that with a little bit of filing on the clip one would most likely manage to make it work.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:29 pm
Skywalker wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:19 am
Thanks for the tip. This one?

https://mxggear.com/collections/benchma ... -knives-14
I just checked my old order confirmation email and unfortunately it doesn't have the specific item number, so I'm not 100% sure. But I remember comparing the hole spacing with the clip from a BM 707, which just uses their standard three hole pattern.

If you have any BMs of your own it would be an easy comparison before ordering (according to LynchNW their BM clips also fit Emerson and ProTech so those might could be used too).
MNOSD #0051
"An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age."
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I love the look & feel of this knife, but not a fan of the steel. If keeping it in the Chinese Spyderco factory, I'd love to see some of the other steels that Chinese companies are using. I think Nitro V or Sandvik 14C28N would be a nice step up without increasing the price too much.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Halfneck wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:59 pm
I love the look & feel of this knife, but not a fan of the steel. If keeping it in the Chinese Spyderco factory, I'd love to see some of the other steels that Chinese companies are using. I think Nitro V or Sandvik 14C28N would be a nice step up without increasing the price too much.
There was a lot of discussion in the “upping the price” thread about budget steel. It sounds like Spyderco is branching out a little (D2 Tenacious is coming!).

But while 8Cr is semi unheard of now in a $60 knife, I would not ever let 8Cr keep you from buying a knife that has a great design. Spyderco has developed a little steel cargo cult following but the reality is great knives with 8Cr are great knives.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Skywalker wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:47 pm
The Astute is a fantastic design and a solid user even with its slim profile. I would like to see it with upgraded materials, maybe S35VN or M4 like the Tenacious.

Also agree on more collaborations with Mr. Szakony; his design style works well with Spyderco's.
☝️This x100
Also, an Astute XL (same OAL as the Hungarian)?
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.